+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: SA & EMA, CCNP, ITIL v3 Foundation

Default EtherChannel vs Port-Channel

Can someone tell me what the difference between an EtherChannel vs a Port-Channel?

In the FLG and OCG, sometimes they refer to the bundle as an EtherChannel, and others as Port-Channel.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Project+, Network+, Security+, CCNA: Security, CCNP R&S, CCDP, CCNP Security
    etherchannel is the bundle itself of using for example 3 physical ports as 1 logical interface known as a port-channel. so a bit more clarification say you want 2 interfaces fa0/1-0/2 you choose the protocl (lacp or pagp) then you select channel-group 1 in this case it will make a "virtual interface" you can say named port-channel 1. now under this interface it represents fa0/1-0/2 so any changes will be made to these two interfaces.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    It's the same thing. Cisco just likes to be confusing. NX-OS uses "port-channel" exclusively, so it looks they're moving in the right direction.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    etherchannel is the bundle itself of using for example 3 physical ports as 1 logical interface known as a port-channel. so a bit more clarification say you want 2 interfaces fa0/1-0/2 you choose the protocl (lacp or pagp) then you select channel-group 1 in this case it will make a "virtual interface" you can say named port-channel 1. now under this interface it represents fa0/1-0/2 so any changes will be made to these two interfaces.
    I knew port-channel is the logical interface made up of multiple ports, it just confuses me when you do a show etherchannel summary, and it lists all the port-channels you have configured.....why not just make it show port-channel summary?

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    It's the same thing. Cisco just likes to be confusing. NX-OS uses "port-channel" exclusively, so it looks they're moving in the right direction.
    Thanks for the clarifcation.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP,CCNP-Voice, CCDP,CCNA-Security, CCNA-Voice, CCNA, CCDA, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by pham0329 View Post
    I knew port-channel is the logical interface made up of multiple ports, it just confuses me when you do a show etherchannel summary, and it lists all the port-channels you have configured.....why not just make it show port-channel summary?

Thanks for the clarifcation.
    Why change it from wr mem to copy run start ? Just how cisco programmers are
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelkin View Post
    Why change it from wr mem to copy run start ? Just how cisco programmers are
    Everytime I do copy run start, I always end up staring at the command for like 3 minutes before pressing enter just to make sure I'm backing up the config and not the other way around
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP,CCNP-Voice, CCDP,CCNA-Security, CCNA-Voice, CCNA, CCDA, Network+, Security+
    I have caught myself doing that same thing just yesterday.. Gotta love NX-OS!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks