+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 First 123 4567 ... Last

Thread: My CCNP Journey

1. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Nice! You're making some good progress. I always like peering into this thread and following your progress.

Do you have an ETA for your test yet? Have you checked out RouterGods on Meetup? They do regular meetups on Google Hangouts where they lab routing exercises on GNS3
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    Nice! You're making some good progress. I always like peering into this thread and following your progress.

Do you have an ETA for your test yet? Have you checked out RouterGods on Meetup? They do regular meetups on Google Hangouts where they lab routing exercises on GNS3
    Ya I've heard of it, haven't done much really with I'll have to check that out.

Thanks!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT

Do you have an ETA for your test yet?

ETA on test is Oct. 3rd
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Nice! My ETA is around the middle of October. Have you taken Switch yet?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Nice! My ETA is around the middle of October. Have you taken Switch yet?
    No Switch yet, I hope to knock it out within 2 months or less after taking Route. I'll probably take TSHOOT a couple weeks after Switch.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Very nice! The Switch content is infinitely easier to swallow than Route. There's just a lot less to study for so it's a bit better. I get mixed reviews on TSHOOT. A coworker of mine told me it was the hardest of the three just because of the style but I see way too many people on this forum knock it out on the same day as other tests or get perfect scores. Hopefully I can give you a review of it before you end up taking it!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Very nice! The Switch content is infinitely easier to swallow than Route. There's just a lot less to study for so it's a bit better. I get mixed reviews on TSHOOT. A coworker of mine told me it was the hardest of the three just because of the style but I see way too many people on this forum knock it out on the same day as other tests or get perfect scores. Hopefully I can give you a review of it before you end up taking it!

Ya I'd appreciate anything you have! Right now I am trying to decipher what is the best study material to jump to (books, etc) I also need to organize what physical equipment to get too, haven't really given that much thought / research yet.

I am under the impression I will want at least 1 3560 and at least 2-3 2950s for physical. (I really wish GNS3 emulated switch too...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Pretty much 2 L3 switches (3650s aren't bad) and 2 L2 switches (2960s) would probably be enough. It'll probably cost you a few hundred dollars but if you plan on going for the CCIE in the future, you'll need some toys to play. You could do PVLANs on 3650s as I recall as well. All of the switch labs I went through just required 2 layer 3 and 2 layer 2 switches so you should be fine with those.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Pretty much 2 L3 switches (3650s aren't bad) and 2 L2 switches (2960s) would probably be enough. It'll probably cost you a few hundred dollars but if you plan on going for the CCIE in the future, you'll need some toys to play. You could do PVLANs on 3650s as I recall as well. All of the switch labs I went through just required 2 layer 3 and 2 layer 2 switches so you should be fine with those.

Great to know! CCIE at some point in time will be something I will reach for so I will opt to try and get the proper equipment the first go round.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    If you can, get equipment that can run the 15 code. I was lucky enough to get some 7200s, 3845s, and 2821s from my work but those are power hogs. Mrock modeled his homelab off of the INE CCIE rack and was able to pass on the first try
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    If you can, get equipment that can run the 15 code. I was lucky enough to get some 7200s, 3845s, and 2821s from my work but those are power hogs. Mrock modeled his homelab off of the INE CCIE rack and was able to pass on the first try
    Ya that could end up being expensive. I wish my company would release equipment to us but they have even end of life equipment on serious lock down and won't release it to anybody. I do however work with a Cisco Contractor that works in the NOC that has expressed the idea that he may be able to get us equipment cheap directly from Cisco. I'll have to explore that option.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT

Default Weekly update 9/1-9/7

Just a hair over 3 weeks left of study before the big exam (OCt 3). I am leaving my weaker subjects to re-re-review towards the end so they stay as fresh as possible, but not lacking on taking the proper time to give them good attention. I accomplished about 10 hours of labbing in total over the week, a little less than what I wanted but I had a few things going on that distracted me and took some time away.

It's basically full lab mode for me with the downtime from labbing spent hand writing notes. I love hand writing notes. It may be a bit time consuming but I feel I can make a commitment to memory a lot better by hand writing.

I devised a method to review my previously written notes before I begin writing anything new. I am hoping this will allow me to keep information fresh. I feel it is working.

Goals for the week:

* Complete 20+ hours labbing. (hopefully 6 hours a day per day off I have this week with a few in between)

* Get a lot more notes written. As I feel like what I am doing with hand writing notes is helping me commit things to memory I need to ramp up this part of my study a bit. I plan to focus on at least 2 hours a day of hand writing notes. I am about halfway though the FLG book skimming and writing notes, I want this accomplished very soon as I can focus on just reviewing my notes and labbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT

Default Weekly Update 9/8-9/14 (Finish Line in Site!)

This week was filled with a lot of studying and off topic excitement I spent my normal 1-2 hours on days I work Sunday-Wed (last week). Towards Tuesday I started to feel really tired. I was averaging 13 hour work days. I am training a new hire to take my spot at work so I can move on to a more technical role. So by Tuesday I was only able to study during my lunches which basically consisted of making notes from the FLG book that I have already read. I Still managed to make good progress on that.

On my days off I was able to get A LOT more done. I did 6 hours on Thursday and 8 hours on Friday. Saturday I took a break to get some things done around the house and visit with family.

This week has also been filled with a bunch of excitement! My wife and I just found out on Tuesday we are having a baby! I am so excited to be a father! So obviously this had my mind has a bit distracted, however I am holding my course! Route is nearly within my grasp so I must see it as well as CCNP through! The idea of having a child too definitely even further solidifies my goals and motivates me to push through and finish this.

This is my shorter week of work so I plan on focusing just as much or more effort on studying.

Goals for this week:

* Continue with doing 1-2 hours a day making notes and doing small lab tasks
    * 6 hours a day minimum on my days off.
    * Finish my notes. (I only have notes to make from the last 3 chapters of the FLG book. That shouldn't be anything I cannot complete this week. Then it will be nothing but reviewing my notes and labbing).

That should net me about 30+ hours of study this week.
    Last edited by Danielh22185; 09-15-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT

Default Weekly Update: 9/15-9/21

I am narrowing in on my test date (Oct 3). I have exactly 9 days left. I am nervous and excited. I feel good about the progress I have made and feel I have expanded my knowledge a lot. I feel at this point I need to just sit for the test regardless of a pass or fail to see where I am at.

Goals for this week:

* Continue to lab:
    I have nearly ran through the SLM lab book 3 times. I have IPv6 subjects left to hit on again. That should take me a day or 2 to run though and move on towards doing some labs from other resources, GNS3 Vault, Router Gods, CCNP Simplified.

* Continue to take more notes / review those notes

* Lab a TON! I need to fully engulf myself now. I am going to fully focus most all of my free time preparing. Again I will focus on 6 hours a day minimum on my days off work and 2 hours daily days on. This last week+ is going to be rigorous.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Nice! Good job! I sent you a PM with some extra stuff you can use
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Nice! Good job! I sent you a PM with some extra stuff you can use
    Thanks a bunch!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, VCP5, MCITP:EA, CCNA, CCENT, A+, N+
    It sounds like you've done a lot of study, if you've studied hard I think you'll pass easy, good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    I've heard more than one person tell me that they thought TSHOOT was the easiest of the three NP tests. Just sayin'.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Yeah. Make sure you you've gone through the official ROUTE lab Manual, and you'll have an easy time, with all the preparation that you have done.

TSHOOT is the easiest test. I made a post on my experience, that includes steps that I should have followed. I went in underprepared (out of stupidity) and still got a perfect score on the test. The test is not that hard if you think of how things should logically work.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT

Default Weekly Update: 9/22-9/28

Unfortunately I was not able to get much donethis last week, nothing near what I wanted to do for my final prep. Workhas had me really tied down doing two roles as I transition to a new moretechnical role in my NOC so I've been SUPER busy preparing my replacement and doingmy new role. Naturally I've been working a bunch more. This hasgotten me a bit tired so I was not able do as much on my work days.

I also was held up with doing some personal thingson my days off so study has been super light.

I decided to push back my exam date just a week tothe 12th. I have a short week of work this week so I should be able tolock in my final prep this week as I have been wanting to for the previous week.

I believe I am pretty well prepared. I justdid not like the feeling of going into the test without having a solid week ofstudy prior to the exam. This additional time should allow me my final prep I desire.

Goals:

* lab lab lab!
    * Make and review final notes through the week
    * Flash Cards
    * 6-8 hours on my days off this week of study and1-2 days on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. "Too many routers"? Heh. darkerz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCIE Security, Some SAN's Stuff
    Daniel,

I wanted to chime in - I envy your determination, and this blog inspires me whenever I see an update to pick up the books and lab.

Keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Looks like we'll be taking the exam during the same week period! Keep up the good work!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Looks like we'll be taking the exam during the same week period! Keep up the good work!
    Good luck to both of ya.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Awesome! Best of luck to you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by darkerz View Post
    Daniel,

I wanted to chime in - I envy your determination, and this blog inspires me whenever I see an update to pick up the books and lab.

Keep it up!

Thanks! Its been a long road but I feel blogging about it has helped keep my eyes set on the goal. I'll continue with switch as that will be what I have up next after route.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks