+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 First 123 4567 ... Last
  1. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Any chance you can do a comparison review of ocg vs flg? I skipped on reading either book and went with Chris Bryants ccnp bootcamp and How to Master CCNP Route by Renee Molenaar (the guy who hosts gns3 vault). Both are great material. I just can't handle Cisco press books anymore, too boring.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIP, CCNP, CCNA, JNCIA, etc.
    Any chance you can do a comparison review of ocg vs flg?
    Well, on Amazon you can find ~20 reviews for each book with the FLG scoring 4.5 stars and the OCG scoring 3.5 stars. That sums it up, in a nutshell, and you can read the actual reviews if you want the details.

I adore the ROUTE FLG. It's one of the better networking books.
    Last edited by NetworkVeteran; 07-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkVeteran View Post
    Well, on Amazon you can find ~20 reviews for each book with the FLG scoring 4.5 stars and the OCG scoring 3.5 stars. That sums it up, in a nutshell, and you can read the actual reviews if you want the details.

I don't trust amazon reviews. Only reviews I take into consideration are newegg.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. CSIT; CompTIA A+, Network+; CCNA, DA; CCNP R&S; CCDP

I agree Route FLG is a great read. It gives you a ton more information than you need for the Route exam which I personally like. Great reference book as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Finishing Chapter 13 today - External BGP. Fun chapter so far. I've always wanted to have a better understanding of BGP beyond the copy & paste of commands that I currently do for our MPLS cloud. Tomorrow I'll get through Chapter 14 and break for the weekend. <nerd> I am participating in Star Trek Iron Man this weekend which will probably result in my staying awake from 24+ hours so I doubt I would have had much opportunity to study anyways. </nerd>

At this pace of "1 Chapter per day," I'll have the OCG completed on Friday of next week. I'm really excited for reading the FLG thanks to all of your reviews of it. It's a much larger book and it's only really split up by 6 chapters so I doubt my "1 chapter per day" method could work. I need to find a way to logically break up the book so I can have achievable milestones every day and make progress. Since I'll be ending my MSISA semester soon so I'll have more time. I think I might try "1 Chapter a week" (starting at Chapter 2) on the FLG and commit to studying for the three hours in the morning that I arrive early at work for and then work on the CCNP Route Simplified book at home in the evenings. I think if I do that, I could realistically have both books completed in 4-5 weeks. I'll probably spend the following weeks just labbing from notes and using flashcards. I could probably be ready for the CCNP Route exam by the end of September or early October. Then I'll just have TSHOOT left. From everything I've read on here, it's the easiest of all three exams and requires little-to-no study time. Am I correct in this?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    The inherent problem with TSHOOT is that I can't just teach you how to troubleshoot. It all comes down to your methodology for fixing apparent broken things...

Sure there are techniques, but I really think it is down to an individual if they are a good troubleshooter or not. I've met some really smart people struggle at trouble shooting because they end up wasting time down the wrong path for hours...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    My understanding of TSHOOT is that it just goes through the common issues and errors with routing and switching which is mentioned in the other OCG guides so it's just redundancy. I'll still read the book but there's not really much labbing to be done... It's not like I'm going to be learning any new protocols. I suppose I can run through the Sims on Boson where I have to troubleshoot an existing environment which is fine but it won't be as extensive of labbing as Route and Switch obviously
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP(R&S)
    I did TSHOOT a week after switch. I downloaded the official topology from cisco, built it, flicked through the book and did the exam. As long as you know everything from the other two exams, TSHOOT is pretty straight forward. Does help that I'm pretty good at troubleshooting - it's been my job with various companies for 8 years. Look up the bullseye tshoot exam tips on youtube.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well I listened to a very interesting tip the other day, I believe it came from Keith Barker - who was helping Anthony Sequeria - he says grade yourself on a topic from 1-5 (granted this was CCIE)

1 - basic high level
    2 - seen some videos on it
    3 - written exam level
    4 - you can configure it
    5 - you can troubleshoot it

When you can truly troubleshoot something - then you are damn good at that area.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Reading through Chapter 15 today (BGP Path Control). I should be done with OCG by the end of the week. I also received CCNP Route Simplified in the mail on Friday and have started on that at home. It's a pretty easy read so far. I've started taking notes from that book as well so I'm going to have a TON of notes to share when I'm done with my Route journey
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    Keep it up at this rate you'll be a CCIE in no time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Ha! I wish! I'll be happy with being a CCNP by the end of the year and a CCNP Security by the end of next year. Then I'll probably have enough experience and knowledge to start to TRY to read the library of books than is the start of the CCIE. The books themselves are a huge task. How did you manage it, Mrock? Did you read, lab, and then read the next book?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    Biggest mistake I made was not starting the CCIE *immediately* after finishing my CCNP..because I think the CCNP books will serve you well for 80% of the material. But I ended up pretty much using the CCIE cert guide (v4, I think) - and I have all the other typical CCIE books, but I just skipped around and read things I needed work on. So I guess it went like this:

Read CCIE Cert guide (with small labs between chapters)
    -Used supplemental material (like "LAN Switching", the Cisco Press book) to augment gaps in knowledge

That's really it! You'll do fine. If I can do it, anyone can.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Today is Chapter 16: IPv6 Addressing. This is not going to be a fun chapter...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP Collab, CCDP, CCNP R&S, CCNP V, CCP-N NetScaler, Net+, A+
    I'm using your SWITCH notes now in my studies. Looking forward to the ROUTE ones as well. Thanks again!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP(R&S)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    Ha! I wish! I'll be happy with being a CCNP by the end of the year and a CCNP Security by the end of next year.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm got my CCNP last month, now I'm doing CCNA:Security. Hopefully I'll have my NP:Sec by the end of next year, then I'm going to start on the long CCIE road I think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Iamme, I'm doing the same thing. I plan on finishing my dual NPs and then going for dual IE's. We plan on moving up to San Francisco at the beginning of 2015 so hopefully the door at Cisco is still open. My "educational goals" after the NPs are pretty simple: CCIE R&S and CCIE: Security plus the Stanford Advanced Security Graduate Certificate (Just so I can have Stanford on my resume). After that with cumulative experience, I pretty much can write my own ticket as a consultant or architect
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Some lofty goals here guys and girls.

I'll be pleased with CCNP/CCNP Voice/CCDP. Hope to have CCNP R/S done by the end of the year, which would mean two NP tracks in one calendar year for me, 9 exams in all if you include 640-642 prereq I had to pass for CCNP Voice. I'm already tired of studying!

I doubt I'll ever pursue an IE but if I did it would be Collaboration for sure. I don't think I'd get much use out of an IE where I work now and since I have a pension I want to stay here long term...as long as I keep enjoying the work of course.
    Last edited by aaron0011; 07-23-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    My goals for an IE:Security might change. Depends on how interesting the NP:Security track is but for IE: R&S, it seems like a natural progression in my career if I want to be an expert. Plus, I truly enjoy learning about routing and switching and even though there are some dry subjects (route-maps and IPv6 - though it might be Wendell Odom that's boring so maybe I'll find a different book better and change my mind), I overall enjoy what I do and learning more about it. Also... I might start a family by the time I'm done with CCIE R&S and not want to commit to 2 years of labbing and studying for an IE: Security. We'll see... but at least expect a CCIE R&S thread come January 2015
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT, Project+, Security+, Network+, A+
    @Iristheangel - knowing you and the energy and drive that you put into advancing your career, I expect a CCIE thread a lot sooner than 2015 - in fact, I expect one by the end of 2013.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    Today is Chapter 16: IPv6 Addressing. This is not going to be a fun chapter...
    Yeah, have fun with that.

Redistribution is a fun topic for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Whoever commented on "lofty goals"

Never laugh at anyone with dreams, because people who don't have dreams, don't have much.

I'm thinking about AT LEAST one CCIE. You have to recertify every 2 years with the written, so you'd might as well do a different one.

I figure I could easily do R&S and Security, I'd love to do Voice - and Service Provider seems like it's just a natural extension of R&S.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
    Whoever commented on "lofty goals"

Never laugh at anyone with dreams, because people who don't have dreams, don't have much.

I'm thinking about AT LEAST one CCIE. You have to recertify every 2 years with the written, so you'd might as well do a different one.

I figure I could easily do R&S and Security, I'd love to do Voice - and Service Provider seems like it's just a natural extension of R&S.
    Lofty doesn't mean not attainable. I meant it as high stature to shoot for and no negative connotation at all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIP, CCNP, CCNA, JNCIA, etc.
    Today is Chapter 16: IPv6 Addressing. This is not going to be a fun chapter... IPv6 - though it might be Wendell Odom that's boring so maybe I'll find a different book better and change my mind
    Just remember, you can convert between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and so often there's nothing in terms of protocol addresses to memorize. E.g. 224.0.0.5 => FF02::5. Routing protocols work fairly similarly, except being configured on interfaces, skipping authentication since IPv6 IPSec provides that, and oddly still using 32-bit RIDs which may need to be manually configured!

Tunneling is more interesting. You have several solutions because there are many use-cases. For host-to-host tunnels, ISATAP or Teredo is your champion. For a few site-to-site tunnels, manual works great, and have increased functionality like IS-IS support. When you need to scale, automatic 6to4 tunnels come to the rescue; configuration would be a nightmare otherwise.

NDP's NS/NA/RS/RA are more complicated than ARP, but in exchange you get some cool options like link-local addresses and SLAAC. DHCPv6 doesn't make SLAAC irrelevant, but rather augments it with the new stateless DHCP. It also adds Prefix Delegation!

It's a brave new world, and exciting to begin to see these in action.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP(R&S)
    Just remember, you can convert between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and so often there's nothing in terms of protocol addresses to memorize. E.g. 224.0.0.5 => FF02::5. Routing protocols work fairly similarly, except being configured on interfaces, skipping authentication since IPv6 IPSec provides that, and oddly still using 32-bit RIDs which may need to be manually configured!

Tunneling is more interesting. You have several solutions because there are many use-cases. For host-to-host tunnels, ISATAP or Teredo is your champion. For a few site-to-site tunnels, manual works great, and have increased functionality like IS-IS support. When you need to scale, automatic 6to4 tunnels come to the rescue; configuration would be a nightmare otherwise.

NDP's NS/NA/RS/RA are more complicated than ARP, but in exchange you get some cool options like link-local addresses and SLAAC. DHCPv6 doesn't make SLAAC irrelevant, but rather augments it with the new stateless DHCP. It also adds Prefix Delegation!

It's a brave new world, and exciting to begin to see these in action.
    ......and after all of that, I think I need to read an IPv6 book. . The IPv6 stuff I really do struggle to commit to memory. I learnt it for the exam but it just won't stay in my long term memory. You might be right about it being the way Odom writes it - maybe I should find a decent book and find time to read it properly.

I'm with you Iris on the R&S stuff. I really enjoyed studying my CCNP R&S. I prefer routing to switching, but I actually enjoy both. I'm doing the CCNP Security more out of necessity than desire, and I can tell. I'm finding it a lot harder to stay engaged. Maybe it will grab me once I'm past the CCNA Security and on to the meaty stuff in the CCNP. Who knows.

You seem like you're hammering through route though, enjoying it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks