+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    JNCIP,SP, JNCIS-SP, CCNP, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5, MCITP 2008 SA, CCNA
    Slowly started my way into the redundancy protocols. First one up is HSRP.

HSRP
    The Cisco proprietary Hot Standby Router Protocol is one of multiple ways to provide first-hop redundancy on a segment. Why would you want this? See the topology below:

HSRP.png

Hosts in the LAN subnet can either use R1 or R2 as a default gateway to reach the internet. However, consider the impact when R1 is used as a default gateway and R1 fails. The hosts would not be able to reach the internet and manual intervention (the reconfiguration of the hosts in the subnet - edit the default gateway to point to R2) could be one of the steps required to restore connection towards the internet.

This is where HSRP steps in. HSRP uses a virtual MAC and IP address to provide what is known as a virtual router. All hosts use the MAC and IP address of the virtual router to forward traffic (in the topology the virtual router will be the default gateway in the hosts on the LAN subnet). The router which is consider active for a HSRP group will respond to both the virtual MAC and IP address. A router in a HSRP group can either be active (forwarding traffic) or standby (waiting to become active).

HSRP packets are multicast to 224.0.0.2. The HSRP MAC address range is 00-00.0c-07.ac-xx. The xx refers to the HSRP group number in hexadecimal.

Configuration of HSRP
    Code:
    R1(config-if)#standby 1 ip 10.0.0.3
    R2(config-if)#standby 1 ip 10.0.0.3
    Once HSRP is configured, the priority (default 100) will decide who will be the active and who will be the standby HSRP router. If there is a tie, the highest IP address on the HSRP interface will be chosen. In my example, R2 will be the HSRP active router (since it has 10.0.0.2 as IP address) and R1 the HSRP standby router.

Preempt
    Since the highest HSRP priority is a deciding factor for the HSRP election, once would expect by setting the higher priority on the standby router, the standby router would become active.

Code:
    R2(config-if)# standby 1 priority 110
    This is not the case, unless preempt is enabled. Preempt allows to actively take over from active routers configured with a lower priority.

Code:
    R2(config-if)# standby 1 preempt
    3 routers
    When 3 routers on a shared segment (Ethernet for example) share a HSRP virtual IP address (i.e. the standby <id>) command is configured on all 3 routers, 1 router will become active (highest IP address when priority is a tie) and 1 will become standby. The third router will remain in the listen state, actively waiting to become either active or standby when the other routers fail.

HSRP verification commands
    Code:
    sh standby
    sh standby brief
    debug standby
    Last edited by tomtom1; 06-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Did some SWITCH practice questions on the Cisco Website (link). It appears I know my stuff so far rather OK, but I need to revisit:
    • STP mode MST
    • STP Loopguard
    • STP BPDU Guard
    Htting the lab and books!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    I used to dislike switching, but one day I think during my studies a lightbulb went off and I can tackle most switch tasks with ease.

Spanning Tree and VLAN's are up there with my favourite topics.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Something I'm not quite getting. Perhaps someone can clarify:

You configure QOS like this:
    Code:
    SW02(config)#mls qos
    SW02(config)#int fa0/9
    SW02(config-if)#mls qos trust cos
    SW02(config-if)#mls qos trust device cisco-phone
    What we do here is enable QOS, and trust the L2 information in the COS field (classes 0-7). We make the trust conditional for a cisco-phone.

Which would mean the cisco-phone connected to fa0/9 is able to modify the L2 header and provide COS information in the COS field, correct? The PC connected to the cisco-phone is untrusted and gets it's COS field set to 0 (best effort) by default.

So, what does this command do:

Code:
    SW02(config-if)#sw priority extend trust SW02(config-if)#sw priority extend cos
    If we set the extend to trust, we trust the cisco-phone? But didn't we do that already with mls qos trust cos and mls qos trust device cisco-phone. Or is my thinking wrong here? What if the PC requires the abillity to do some kind of COS / TOS flagging?

Thanks for the replies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Anybody got an idea about this?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    dear sir.. will i get job in dubai without experience..
    or dubai companies may hire freshers ccnp holders. ??

plz reply me..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
    Something I'm not quite getting. Perhaps someone can clarify:
    Got it sorted out. With the following commands (example), we configure QoS and trust the L2 COS value when the device connected to the other end is cisco phone.

Code:
    SW03(config-if)#mls qos trust cos
    SW03(config-if)#mls qos trust device cisco-phone
    With the switchport priority extend command, we have 2 options. Either set the value of the COS (example) to something we trust, of trust the PC attached to the cisco phone to send QOS information.

Code:
    SW03(config-if)#switchport priority extend cos 2
    SW03(config-if)#switchport priority extend trust
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Managed to do some labbing over the weekend. One interesting detail I picked up about Etherchanneling protocols. When the port configuration is edited on the port-channel level (i.e. adding of a VLAN), the physical interfaces belonging to the port-channel get the new config too. It was to be expected, but still nice to see it works.

I also ordered the Boson CCNP Switch practice exam which has some great labs and they really told me to reread the DTP stuff again. I did that and I feel I'm slowly getting ready for the exam. Date is set on July 25th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Knocked the SWITCH out this morning with an 850/1000. I think the planning + QOS sections could use a bit more work, but hey, a pass is a pass I will start TSHOOT next weekend.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. lrb

Certifications
    CCIEx2 #45527 (RS,SP)
    Nice work man! I think if you are still comfortable with the ROUTE material you should take the TSHOOT soon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Took a few hours to recreate (parts of) the TSHOOT topology only to find some typing errors (FastEthernet0/0 where it should be FastEthernet0/1), which was a nice way to really hone my troubleshooting skills by accidentally misconfiguring stuff . The IPv4 stuff wasn't all that hard (some multi area OSPF, NAT / PAT and basic BGP) but my IPv6 skill still needs much more work. I'm most definitely not comfortable with OSPF v3 and RIPng. That will dictate most of my studying for this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Don't forget to study things that are on the tshoot blueprint but not on route or switch, like NAT and DHCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Did a bigger lab today which touched on some redistribution, NAT, and BGP (default routing). I'm getting ready to speed the TSHOOT up a bit since I'm looking for job entries back into the networking world. I'm going to do some more redistribution labs later today and practice some GRE tunneling. We're getting there

Quote Originally Posted by fredrikjj View Post
    Don't forget to study things that are on the tshoot blueprint but not on route or switch, like NAT and DHCP.
    Thanks, but luckily I have some real world experience with these topics which I can draw upon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Wanted to take a moment to update the topic and report the CCNP as complete. I took TSHOOT this morning and building upon my knowledge of the ROUTE and SWITCH topics, it was like a walk in the part. A special thank you goes out to my buddies Danielh22185 and OfWolfAndMan who ran this marathon with me. OfWolfAndMan finished up earlier this week and I'm positive Daniel will succeed for his SWITCH exam and will ace TSHOOT too!

What's next:
    Since I have knowledge of both the virtualization field and the networking field now, VCP-NV seems like an option. However, I do have my eyes set on the CCIE, and since that is an enormous mountain, once cannot start quick enough. Since I'm posting this in the networking section, how do you guys feel about SDN?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
    Wanted to take a moment to update the topic and report the CCNP as complete. I took TSHOOT this morning and building upon my knowledge of the ROUTE and SWITCH topics, it was like a walk in the part. A special thank you goes out to my buddies Danielh22185 and OfWolfAndMan who ran this marathon with me. OfWolfAndMan finished up earlier this week and I'm positive Daniel will succeed for his SWITCH exam and will ace TSHOOT too!

What's next:
    Since I have knowledge of both the virtualization field and the networking field now, VCP-NV seems like an option. However, I do have my eyes set on the CCIE, and since that is an enormous mountain, once cannot start quick enough. Since I'm posting this in the networking section, how do you guys feel about SDN?
    Congats!! Would you consider take any other CCNP tracks before moving onto CCIE?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA-DC
    CCNP as complete.
    Congrats mate!! That's great news!! I've been reading through many of your CCNP posts, and it's definitely well deserved!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    congrats tomtom!!!! Well deserved. Go have a drink! I'll get a head start
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Good job, man! I was waiting for that post! If you do decide to pursue VCP-NV, let me know because that looked interesting! Also, good luck on your future studies, and you know where to find a study buddy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by OfWolfAndMan View Post
    Good job, man! I was waiting for that post! If you do decide to pursue VCP-NV, let me know because that looked interesting! Also, good luck on your future studies, and you know where to find a study buddy!
    The quest has started here. Essendon, another (study) buddy is in with me. You're welcome to join, however, some basic vSphere knowledge won't do you any harm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Congrats to ya man! Thanks too for being helpful to me in my studies as well. Hopefully I will knock out Switch soon!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    Congrats on your NP pass mate. Thanks for sharing your experience and study methods, I'm completing my NP Switch currently and I found it helpful how you summarised each topic with explanations and commands!

Thanks, and good luck with the rest of your studies!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bharvey92 View Post
    Congrats on your NP pass mate. Thanks for sharing your experience and study methods, I'm completing my NP Switch currently and I found it helpful how you summarised each topic with explanations and commands!

Thanks, and good luck with the rest of your studies!
    Nice to know you found it helpful. Wish I did the same for ROUTE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks