+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    CASP, Cloud+, Mobility+, Security+, Storage+, OCPJP8, OCMJD7, Android Certified Application Developer

Default Passed Cloud+ and Storage+, and Got a Question

I passed Cloud+ with an 816/900 on August 20, and yesterday, I passed Storage+ with a 780/900. Then today was my first day at my new job!

The Storage+ exam was harder than the Cloud+ exam. I used the Sybex Data Storage Networking book to study for the former exam. For Cloud+, I used the CompTIA Cloud+ Certification Study Guide (Exam CV0-001) (Certification Press).

Question: I passed the Security+ exam earlier this year. Can I use the CEUs that I earned by passing the Storage+ exam to renew my Security+ certification right before it expires in three years?

My Security+ certification will expire on July 27, 2018. Can I upload the CEUs and renew on July 20, 2018?
    Last edited by bjpeter; 09-04-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member TranceSoulBrother's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL v3, A+, Sec+, CEHv9, CHFIv8
    The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    CASP, Cloud+, Mobility+, Security+, Storage+, OCPJP8, OCMJD7, Android Certified Application Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceSoulBrother View Post
    The COMPTIA site has a list of courses/tests that would fullfill the CEu requirement. Last I checked, I dont remember Cloud+/Storage+ on it. CASP and CCNA Security were.
    Storage+ will renew Security+ because it is at a higher tier. But my question is related to the timing. Can I wait a couple of years before I upload the CEUs?
    Last edited by bjpeter; 09-04-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    When you take and pass the storage+ exam Comptia will automatically renew your security+.
    2017 Goals: CCNA R&S
    Certifications:
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Lab: 3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620Router with NM-32A module
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by OctalDump View Post
    First, congratulations on the certifications and the job!

Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but getting the Storage+ will automatically renew the lower tiers. Cloud+ is still its own thing. So my understanding is that your Sec+ should now have an expiration date of 3 August 2018 (assuming you got Storage+ on 3 Aug).

When I last looked at it, CEUs didn't make much sense, since the cost of getting the CEUs (annual fee + CEU activity/cert) was more than just doing a higher level automatic renewal exam like Storage+ (soon to retire) or Security+. Probably because Cloud+ is its own thing, there are more complex things you need to worry about.

I am hoping that the Cloud+ recertification requirements will change over the next 3 years (I am planning on doing Cloud+ this year). The current requirements seem a little... extreme.
    Thanks, guys! The Storage+ did automatically renew my Security+ certification. I found out the day I got my certification. So instead of the latter expiring on July 27, 2018, it now will expire on September 2, 2018, a few months later.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    ITIL v3 Foundation, RHCSA, RHCE, Sec+, Red Hat SELinux CoE, VCA-DCV, Cloud+, Puppet Pro 2014, AWS Solutions Arch Assoc, AWS Sysop Assoc, AWS Dev Assoc
    Quote Originally Posted by OctalDump View Post

I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    Quote Originally Posted by notquitecertifiable View Post
    I do find it a little strange that you can't renew a Cloud+ with any of the Amazon certs. Adding those as a renewal path would make my own life a lot simpler.
    Yeah, that's one of the things I am hoping they will change.

VCAP/VCDX/VCIX or MCSE Private Cloud are pretty big things to do just to recertify Cloud+. Even VCP:CMA won't get you the full 50 points. Vanila MCSA/MCSE Server 2012 only gets you 5 points, despite the Hyper-V and Azure content now integrated in the mainstream certs.

Most of the Red Hat track seems to be missing. They have a whole RHCA Cloud cert now. The Microsoft Azure certs are missing. No CCNA Cloud. And the whole Rackspace/CloudU thing seems to be missing, too. LPI have a virtualisation track that touches on public/private clouds and Openstack/Cloudstack.

Where do they think people are actually going after Cloud+?
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    A+,N+,S+,Cloud Ess,Cloud+/MCSA Sec/CCNA,CCNA SP Ops,CCDP/JNCIA-Junos|IDP,JNCDA,JNCIS-ENT|SA|WLAN|QF/ITIL Found/CloudU/CWTS,CWNA
    Quote Originally Posted by N3TW0RK_N3RD View Post
    I sit the Storage+ exam later this month to also renew my child certs, but reviewing the link fuz1on posted about "Renewing Multiple Certs", does not include Storage+ in the hierarchy.
    Storage+ was there a couple of weeks ago but my assumption is - since CompTIA is phasing is out (last day to take this exam is: 15.01.2016) it has been already removed from their certificate hierarchy of certifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    Congrats
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks