+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Member

Certifications
    Window 7, Server 2012,MCDST
    Quick question, I seen there is a security+ course. How much is this exam to sit, is this a better cert than the EH.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CEH v8, SSCP, Security+
    Hello,

CompTIA Security + has come a long way but it's still considered entry level cert. It cost about $290 give a take a few bucks. If you like CompTIA you may want to check out the CASP which is CompTIA Advance Security Practitioner.

The CEH is more advance level cert but its passable. I just started to study for this exam.......So we shall see

Good Luck !!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thank you for clearing everything for me. Every interview I have, I am asked if I have the C|EH. So I have decided to study for it and take the exam and whore it. I am not in the IT industry, but I use the tools at work.
    I will follow your advice (reasoning makes a lot of sense!). Please let me know if you have any suggestion for a "monkey" like me. lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Ceh 10-10-2015

Took it today, used matt walker's book was scoring 96-98 on all practice testes. Couldn't agree more with the comment below: "signed up for baking class and was given a plumbing exam"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member Registered Member
    So this maybe the wrong thread to ask this question but I can't find a more relevant thread. So to make a long story short, my company is now requiring that i get my CEH. But I've been in IT and more specifically Information Assurance for about 5 years now. I'm not saying that I won't have to study, but i think i can pass with just self study. I'm just confused on how to fill out the application, specifically the part about "Experience qualification". Is that just referring to commercial certs or like can I put things like the "Vulnerability Technician" training i got from a local auditing company. Or like my company has this policy that certain equipment requires the vendor to qualify that you can operate it so i have a "qualification" for our IDS. I don't want to put down things that don't matter, or not put down things that do.

If someone could provide guidelines (or maybe an example of what they put)for what to include in this box that would be super helpful, or at least point me in the right direction. I don't want to get my application declined (and lose $100) if i can help it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    GWAPT, GSEC, Associate of (ISC)2, C|EH, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, CCENT, Security+, Network+
    Put your experience..."I did xyz", "I audit xyz". Basically what you have on your resume. At the end you could put a blurb about the certs you have but I believe you also have to send in your resume, and have your boss verify.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Failed 69/70 version 8 test, last week.

The Boson test simulator is actually a good predictor of success. I would recommend that.

There were questions about last year's BASH worm and HEARTBLEED virus that I wasn't expecting.

I didn't see any Metaspolit questions. I would say there were 3-5 social engineering questions.

Nothing on buffer overflows. GLBA, HIPAA and SOX were all addressed with questions.

There appeared to be almost 5 questions just on netcat alone (syntax, etc.).

Hardly nothing on null sessions and port 139/445 issues.

What is bewildering is, that I paid the $350 retake charge and got a PowerPoint on some new proctor service (non-Prometric VUE).

Also asks you to register at an EC website for exams.

Has anyone seen this new material?

Is Prometric VUE gone for retakes?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    Do not try and wing it, big mistake. Get Boson test simulator.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, I-Net+, Security+, Server+, MTA OS/Server, ICND1, SSCP
    A very interesting read indeed. I just got my SSCP back in February and was looking to go for the C|EH next. Going to put the CISSP on hold for now since i just entered the security field a year and a half ago, after 9 years of desktop support. I also have a Masters Degree already.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member

Question words of wisdon

Now this is interesting and Ming opening tip in knowing almost anything in life. I will speak for myself. I've just recently got very interested I the IT security industry in my 32years of life and I'm currently doing Advanced Information Security in South Africa at University of South Africa (UNISA) . My question to you sir, from a rookie like me, what best courses can I do (considering your method) that can make me a good security officer better yet a Infosec Manager. I live in an environment where IT security isn't big but with recent attacks, every big bank and firm are looking for expects. I've wrote Comptia N+ and I'm studying for Comptia Security+. What more courses could be good for my vision??? Please assist
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    This thread is awesome... Me Personally I have a goal to complete my RHCSA then go for either a Networking or Security cert. I have noticed one thing about ANYONE who works in Security and posts here.... you HAVE to know NETWORKING and basic computer concepts!!!!! That is the main theme that I see in many threads when we talk about Network Security and Pentesting, hacking, etc.... How can you secure something when you do not know how it works.
    As far as the CEH I will prob not take that exam... the reason why is because it bombards you with so much outdated programs and to me I would rather get a OSCP over a CEH. Me I am more "Hands On" so I would rather be tested on my ability rather then my book smarts. I don't dislike the CEH but my certification policy is "Find your path, and learn what certs you need to get there and get the knowledge and experience to go along with it. its not always about the ROI but its about the exp you get"
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Make sure you all read threads discussing the current CEHv9 exam and not the defunct CEHv8 exam. They are different in many respects.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    CEH
    I've got two weeks to in which to get my C|EH. I have some background in security, primarily from a coding aspect, but haven't been near a Windows machine in over seven years. Any advice?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    I don't remember many Windows centric questions. Know how Windows stores passwords, basic hardening, and Kerberos and you're probably good. Even the hardening isn't specific to Windows probably.

IMO Nmap, basic security practices, and networking will probably get you a pass. Read Matt Walkers guide and you'll be gold.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    CEH
    Cool. Thanks for that. Is the Matt Walker guide up to date for the v9? Or are the differences between v8 and v9 just concentrating on Cloud and Mobile tech and therefore fairly minimal?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    I read the v8 version of his guide and I did just fine after using that as my only real resource (82%).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEH | SSCP | VCP6 | VCP-NV | VCP-Cloud | VCP6-NV | VCP5-DCV | VCP4 | MCTS | MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by CuttlefishJones View Post
    Cool. Thanks for that. Is the Matt Walker guide up to date for the v9? Or are the differences between v8 and v9 just concentrating on Cloud and Mobile tech and therefore fairly minimal?
    I believe his v9 version comes out next month. However, the v8 version is what I used to pass my exam, along with a handful of other materials. There are quite a few threads here that will point you in the right direction. (Here are are a few:

Passed 7-11
    CEHv9 Passed 7/12
    Passed CEH 5/16

If you already have a decent grasp on the the overall subject of security, the AIO book will probably be enough as long as you brush up on the few topics that are "new". I also thought the Boson examsim helped alot. If you're in crunch mode, it might be worth grabbing that as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hey sexion, when you say "Step one, weeks 1 to 6" will it take me 6 weeks to learn that stuff?! :O I'm 13 and I have only till January to get a CEH.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks