+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    MCSA 2003

Default Basic questions from an Exchange newbie

Thanks for taking time to read this post

Wonder if anyone can answer some basic questions about 70-284 from someone who knows nothing about it.

I work in IT, mainly on NT supported systems, but have some practical WIN2K commercial knowledge, but no email tech experience. I have passed 270 290 and 291.
    I have a test lab at home with 3 WIN2003 servers and one WIN2K pro client.

Would this be a good elective to take to complete MCSA, I have an interest in messaging?

Can anyone compare this course in length and complexity with exams I have already taken ?

Is the exam a real beast ?

Any ideas on how it may take, to complete from scratch to passed exam ?

Is the exchange software available from MS, with the MS Press book ?

If so, what sort of lab config do you need to run it ? 2 of my servers are bare min spec for WIN2003 ?

I do have a possible opportunity to get involved with supporting Exchange ‘cos our account has just converted a whole load of Notes systems to Exchange, so I will probably get some help from my employer with some training time.

Many thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ Server+ MCSA+Messaging MCSE+Messaging MCTS Windows Server 2008 MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    hehe lots of questions but I will try to answer what I can. This is a great elective to take if you have a interest in Exchange.

You have passed some pretty tough test but Exchange is truly a different beast the things you covered on those test aren't going to be on 284 much at all (I recall being surprised by a few DNS questions but the rest was all exchange based).

I study the exam for 2 months and had a test lab I failed the first time and passed the next day (I get nervous when it comes to test).

You can download a 180 day demo on Exchange from Microsoft's site

Exchange doesn't need a whole lot of processor speed to run well but OMG! does it like RAM. I administer a 180 mailbox exchange server and it has no problems going thru 2 gigs of RAM and my 1 gig test server with a 3.2 P4 would chug some of the times as well. To get the best performance with Exchange you want lots of RAM and a good fast disk array (SCSI is best).

In closing if you really want to get into Exchange I am sure you can pass 284 with a little study and a little time
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks