+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA 2003, MCTS, MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator, ITIL v3 foundations

Default Exchange 2010 Beta!!!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/20...s/default.aspx

You can download a 360 day trial! Get on it!

Hoorayyyyy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSA 2003, JNCIA-FWV, Security+ Expired: CCNA
    Does Mr Royal or someone else care to inform us if exchange 2010 will also be built on powershell?

Thanks for the link!
    “The creator of the universe works in mysterious ways. But he uses a base ten counting system and likes round numbers.” Scott Adams

2011-2012 Goals: Improve my implementation skills. Continue C# .NET endeavours.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Booooooo

I'm still trying to get up to speed on 2007. I was hoping they go with another four-year gap.

Yea, Powershell will remain. Powershell 2.0 will be included with Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, so it's safe to say that it's going to be with us from here on out (or at least until something better comes along).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ Server+ MCSA+Messaging MCSE+Messaging MCTS Windows Server 2008 MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    Yes it will be built upon Powershell 2.0 this time around. The major changes in Ex2007 like the different roles appear to be the same.

I would say this upgrade is more in line with Ex2000 to Ex 2003.

I was discourged to see that the download does not include a 32 bit version for testing or running labs. Or I just couldn't find it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:CP&I, SI, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx7, VCP6/5/4/3(DCV), EMCISA, Sec+, ITILv3F, legacy MS
    Whats exchange?

Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Booooooo

I'm still trying to get up to speed on 2007. I was hoping they go with another four-year gap.

Yea, Powershell will remain. Powershell 2.0 will be included with Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, so it's safe to say that it's going to be with us from here on out (or at least until something better comes along).
    Powershell is now a part of the engineering criteria for all new MS products.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroPsycho View Post
    Powershell is now a part of the engineering criteria for all new MS products.
    Thanks for basically saying the same thing but making me look dumb in the process
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    I thought this was going to be more of an evolution vs a revolution and they would go with the 2007 R2 name. After reveiwing some articles on technet, a lot has changed. No more LCR, SCC or storage groups. Now we have Database Availability Groups and tigheter integration with OCS.

What's New in Exchange Server 2010

More info:
    You Had Me At EHLO... : Presenting Exchange Server 2010
    Exchange Server 2010 Forum
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 (Beta)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Thanks for basically saying the same thing but making me look dumb in the process
    LOL! No, I was saying it's actually official policy all new Microsoft server products absolutely MUST have full PowerShell functionality from here on out. That's why W2K8 R2 for example had to have AD cmdlets for example. Microsoft development teams don't have a choice anymore.

http://blogs.technet.com/benp/archiv...-criteria.aspx
    Last edited by HeroPsycho; 04-15-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    I thought this was going to be more of an evolution vs a revolution and they would go with the 2007 R2 name. After reveiwing some articles on technet, a lot has changed. No more LCR, SCC or storage groups. Now we have Database Availability Groups and tigheter integration with OCS.

What's New in Exchange Server 2010

More info:
    You Had Me At EHLO... : Presenting Exchange Server 2010
    Exchange Server 2010 Forum
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 (Beta)
    LCR is gone because NO ONE uses it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Yeah but SCC is...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by RTmarc View Post
    Yeah but SCC is...
    That's because, according to Microsoft,
    Some administrators were intimidated by the complexity of Windows failover clustering
    New High Availability Functionality

But there is good news, because with 2010
    Multiple server roles can co-exist on servers that provide high availability. This enables small organizations to deploy a two-server configuration provides full redundancy of mailbox data, while also providing redundant Client Access and Hub Transport services.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    That's because, according to Microsoft,

New High Availability Functionality

But there is good news, because with 2010
    Sounds like it will be easier but I wouldn't exactly call it intimidating.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    I use LCR only as an added bonus though, so I suppoooose...

... note to those out there trying it on VMWare ESXi, I just tried to load it on my DL380G5 box that had a plain jane x64 2008 setup and it bombed out stating that it was not supported.

Any success in VMWare yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    I have to admit that we're excited about the new version of Exchange at our work. It'll be the first version designed with Windows Server 2008 in mind, which is all we run. So, yeah, we'll be testing out the beta.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    Multiple server roles can co-exist on servers that provide high availability. This enables small organizations to deploy a two-server configuration provides full redundancy of mailbox data, while also providing redundant Client Access and Hub Transport services.
    I like this
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    I wonder what this will look like:

In Exchange 2010, Role Based Access Control (RBAC) has replaced the permissions model that was used in Exchange 2007. RBAC lets you define extremely broad or extremely precise roles and assignments based on the roles of your administrators and users, and the tasks they perform. Access to the cmdlets and parameters required to perform a task is granted by assigning the related RBAC management role to a user or universal security group. If you want to grant an administrator or user the ability to perform tasks in Exchange 2010, you must either add the administrator or user to a universal security group that already has been assigned a specific RBAC role, or you must assign the role directly to the administrator or user.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    Also gone is Single Instance Storage in the database.
    As an added feature, the store will now compress attachments (and perhaps entire messages?) to save space.

Windows IT Pro has an interesting First Look article:
    A First Look at Exchange 2010
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    We'll still have public folders
    IT guy since 12/00

Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Why would you want to get rid of SIS in any situation? Wouldnt this make your storage requirements explode? I thought I understood SIS to be a single copy of the data in the database and everyone that uses that database has a reference to that data as opposed to a duplicate of if in their mailbox. Have I been horribly off? Please help my limited Newtonian prone brain.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryS View Post
    Why would you want to get rid of SIS in any situation? Wouldnt this make your storage requirements explode? I thought I understood SIS to be a single copy of the data in the database and everyone that uses that database has a reference to that data as opposed to a duplicate of if in their mailbox. Have I been horribly off? Please help my limited Newtonian prone brain.
    Exchange 2007 (and later) best practices dictate that you will likely end up with numerous databases (to keep the DB size of each one under 200MB) and since SIS only works on a single database and not across storage groups it's not doing much these days. Attachment compression is actually going to save more space going forward.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryS View Post
    And keep in mind SIS is highly overrated. At best you usually only end up saving on average 10%. Even in products such as Enterprise Vault which is far more likely to have SIS scenarios, you don't save as much as you'd think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    I have seen SIS save 37% in a database, but that was a special case. The users in that particular database sent large attachments to multiple people all the time (something the new 'Mail Tips' will bark about) so SIS seemed to really work for them. However SIS doesn't help when people delete messages. If I send a 5MB attachment to 10 people, its only 5MB in the DB. If 9 of them delete it, then it's still 5MB in the DB. Your email hoarders eat up space that SIS can't help with but compression will always apply.

Trying to plan DB layouts with SIS as a primary concern leads to some questionable design decisions. Keeping all of a department's users in one DB will maximize SIS, but if that DB is offline for any reason then the entire department is without email. Splitting the users across multiple DBs and servers is a better high availability choice but it lessens the impact of SIS.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, CCNA R/S, CCNA-Security, CCNA Collaboration, CCNP R/S
    go M$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ push those margins
    oh yeah all MS stuff is 100% ready out of box no need or any patches
    or any calls to MS for 200.00 a pop to India! non! best software inthe world! what a need of more exachange software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    screw 2007 hahahahaha ahha
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. nel

Certifications
    A+ , Network+, MCSA 2003, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA-JunOS, JNCIS-ENT, Bsc(hons) & Msc Degree
    Quote Originally Posted by itdaddy View Post
    go M$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ push those margins
    oh yeah all MS stuff is 100% ready out of box no need or any patches
    or any calls to MS for 200.00 a pop to India! non! best software inthe world! what a need of more exachange software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    screw 2007 hahahahaha ahha
    hahahaha,

that was a totally random post robert
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks