+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mcsa:m

  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #1

    Default Mcsa:m

    Greetings All:


    Does anyone think that the MCSA/E:M still has worth. It is 2k10 and the test is over exchange 2003. At my last job we had some people on 2k3. My job before that we had people on exchange 5.5 I believe.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. BOBBY_TABLES RobertKaucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    #2
    Unless you intend on working with Exchange 2003, I see no point for you. It is just one test, but that's >$100. If it is outside your career objectives and out side your experience I dont see the point in spending the $$$.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,622

    Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    #3
    If you choose 284 as your MCSA elective, you get the MCSA:M automatically, so it's not really an extra exam. If you are taking two client exams, using CompTIA certs, or already have a qualifying elective then it is up to your experience and career goals as to whether you should pursue the exam.

    If you have Exchange experience and would like a certification to validate that, by all means take the test.

    If you plan on consulting around Exchange, then take the test. You will likely be migrating from Exchange 2003 or through Exchange 2003 (for the other mail connectors only available in Exchange 2003) so its good to know 2003.

    If you want to get the MCSE:M then you better hurry up because the 285 design exam retires in October.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    Unless you intend on working with Exchange 2003, I see no point for you. It is just one test, but that's >$100. If it is outside your career objectives and out side your experience I dont see the point in spending the $$$.
    True. I actually am in contact about a job that may require me to support Exchange 03. If I get it I will probably go MCSA:S+M, if not then MCSA:S. It is outside of my career objectives overall but for right now, I am just trying to get into a better paying role so my objectives are null and void lol



    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    If you choose 284 as your MCSA elective, you get the MCSA:M automatically, so it's not really an extra exam. If you are taking two client exams, using CompTIA certs, or already have a qualifying elective then it is up to your experience and career goals as to whether you should pursue the exam.

    If you have Exchange experience and would like a certification to validate that, by all means take the test.

    If you plan on consulting around Exchange, then take the test. You will likely be migrating from Exchange 2003 or through Exchange 2003 (for the other mail connectors only available in Exchange 2003) so its good to know 2003.

    If you want to get the MCSE:M then you better hurry up because the 285 design exam retires in October.
    Thanks for the info. I have no intention on going on to the MCSE: M though so that is fine. I really just want to fill in a checkbox on my resume you know? Exchange support is kind of big out here and I know I am entry level so I don't want to get ruled out of any of the entry level positions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. BOBBY_TABLES RobertKaucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    True. I actually am in contact about a job that may require me to support Exchange 03. If I get it I will probably go MCSA:S+M, if not then MCSA:S. It is outside of my career objectives overall but for right now, I am just trying to get into a better paying role so my objectives are null and void lol
    I really don't think you need it. Supporting Exchange 2003 in an environment where it already exists should be relatively easy. Do some reading, do some lab work and you should be fine. Unless you believe that having the cert will truely put you a step ahead as a general candidate (not just for this one position), I would say skip the cert. Studying and doing lab work is never a bad thing, though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    I really don't think you need it. Supporting Exchange 2003 in an environment where it already exists should be relatively easy. Do some reading, do some lab work and you should be fine. Unless you believe that having the cert will truely put you a step ahead as a general candidate (not just for this one position), I would say skip the cert. Studying and doing lab work is never a bad thing, though.
    You may be right. Truth be told, I am just trying to buy time at a place until the base jobs open up and then....

    Do I think it will help me DIRECTLY (ie this cert will help me a job)? No not really.
    DO I think the knowledge is valuable? Sure, I think that exchange skills are valuable.

    Honestly i'll have to see because I am in the running for another job and that will take me all the way in the other direction. We will see in the next few weeks whats what. I need to start posting on my blog about this stuff lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks