+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    A+ / NET+ / SEC+ / MCSA
    aiming for my 70-662 as well... seeing all this powershell stuff is taking more of my confidence away =(. Looks like something I need to tackle as well.

Like yourself, I'm in a smaller environment, also updating ("refresh") to todays current OS/Exchange systems. I've read elsewhere you only need to know a little of powershell to pass 70-662, but I've also read of those who didnt do too well because of Powershell... will have to pay special attention to those chapters/labs. We both know what its like to get the wind knocked out from our sails. It, sucks. The important thing is you get back up (and know how to do the job).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by genXrcist View Post
    Way to go on the 70-663! I just took it today and even though I felt very confident throughout the test I failed with a 682.

I dunno, maybe I just don't "get" it. The world I work in is small to medium sized businesses and most of that stuff I will never see in my current role. Perhaps that's the deal, who knows.

I just got the Pocket consultant guide and I'm firing up the lab tonight. Gonna do whatever pops into the brain from defining new RBAC roles/groups to replicating public folders to setting up a CAS array and simulating a failure.

Good luck on your 2nd try!

p.s. Do you admin Exch 2007?
    I have used every version of Exchange since 5.5. I did a 2003 to 2007 migration two years ago... and I am preparing to do a 2003 to 2010 migration for a rather large organization right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CICSP, MCSE, C|EH, MCSA, MCITP: EMA 2K7/2010, MCTS:Exchange 2K7/2010, Sec+, Net+, CCA-XENAPP, ITIL-V3, MCDST, MOS
    I recommend setting up Exchange without using any GUI. In my linux guys voice; Get away from using the GUI. Setup an entire Email system using only the exchange management shell. A certain level of powershell is required to pass 662. 663 is more of a architecture design exam and you could by if you had previous experience setting up a Exchange system. But, 662 will challenge your knowledge/experience with 2010.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chivalry1 View Post
    I recommend setting up Exchange without using any GUI. In my linux guys voice; Get away from using the GUI. Setup an entire Email system using only the exchange management shell. A certain level of powershell is required to pass 662. 663 is more of a architecture design exam and you could by if you had previous experience setting up a Exchange system. But, 662 will challenge your knowledge/experience with 2010.
    This is a good idea, I'm going to use the CLI as much as I can.

It's not that there's a ton of powershell on there but that there will be some powershell questions and since you don't know what you're gonna get you need to know a lot of it. I think the only way to learn Powershell is to do it a lot but in the real world you don't have time to learn powershell so I think it's common to fallback into the Console. I try to take the time to use the CLI when not under a time crunch but there's not always a lot of that in my line of work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP
    Slightly off topic,

But I have one question that has been bugging me, and I have seen it mentioned in this thread.

In vmware workstation how does one, configure the two separate forests to send email between both orgs?

I can create two separate forests but what additional configuration would be required to route mail between the two?

Would all machines have to be on the same IP network, would an additional server need to be configured as a switch / router?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pdog
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP:EA / SA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNA:S, Security+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdog View Post
    Slightly off topic,

But I have one question that has been bugging me, and I have seen it mentioned in this thread.

In vmware workstation how does one, configure the two separate forests to send email between both orgs?

I can create two separate forests but what additional configuration would be required to route mail between the two?

Would all machines have to be on the same IP network, would an additional server need to be configured as a switch / router?

Pdog
    Not sure what others have done, but back when I was working on Exchange 2003, I had ForestA on one network, ForestB on a second network, a ROOT DNS on a third network, and a RAS server with three NICs that routed between them. I used server 2000 as much as possible for the virtual machines since it had less memory / cpu overhead than server 2003. I started running into some resource issues with server 2008 and am now using two computers with shared physical NIC on each as the outbound interface and have each forest isolated on vm's on the two physical machines.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdog View Post
    Slightly off topic,

Pdog
    Hi Pdog,

I don't route at all. To simulate sending email between forests I just create DNS forwarders in each DNS server to point at the other forests DNS server. I then create appropriate MX records in each forward lookup zone. Everything is on the same subnet and all Servers and clients have static IP configurations so they are pointing to the correct DNS servers and I don't need to worry about the DHCP options a client is getting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    In VMWare you can create two different networks and assign each VM to the different networks.

I didn't quite go so far as to get GNS running and put some routers in, but I basically had a 7th VM running Windows Server and RRAS by itself and put two Virtual NICs in there.

That did my routing between both enterprises.

Running 8 VM's on my PC was a challenge, but my PC coped really well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
    In VMWare you can create two different networks and assign each VM to the different networks.

I didn't quite go so far as to get GNS running and put some routers in, but I basically had a 7th VM running Windows Server and RRAS by itself and put two Virtual NICs in there.

That did my routing between both enterprises.

Running 8 VM's on my PC was a challenge, but my PC coped really well.
    With stuff like RRAS / DCs etc., you can easily reduce the memory / cores to a bear minimum once the server are up and running .. I am sometimes surprised with how low memory those server can run and still serve perfectly services such as DNS etc.

Or use Core for stuff like DC / DNS / RRAS etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    I had 3 full blown Exchange servers in that environment

Had 8Gb of RAM in the system, though I am looking to upgrade to 16 now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks