+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Default Infosec Security Clearance? What does it mean? how to get it?

hello fellow Infosec people. i have a security + and GCIH certification.

but i'm looking around at job descriptions and i often see (Clearance Level Needed) - what does it mean? are there diff types of clearance..

how is a security clearance different from having certifications? im just curious about that.

I found this pdf document but - i'm wondering how does this apply to Information Security. I keep seeing jobs that ask for "minimium security clearance" and they give acronyms that i've never heard of before.

https://www.clearancejobs.com/securi...arance_faq.pdf
    Last edited by bkhayes; 03-10-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security, MCTS
    A security clearance just means that you have been investigated and are qualified to receive and handle material that is classified at a certain level. For instance, the military uses Secret and Top Secret designations for its classified data, and servicemembers may be granted a Secret or TS clearance to perform their duties. There are different agencies that grant clearances - for instance, the Department of Defense and the Department of State both issue Top Secret clearances but through a slightly different process.

Unfortunately, unlike certifications, security clearances aren't something that we as individuals can apply for. The clearance investigation must be initiated by your employer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aftereffector View Post
    A security clearance just means that you have been investigated and are qualified to receive and handle material that is classified at a certain level. For instance, the military uses Secret and Top Secret designations for its classified data, and servicemembers may be granted a Secret or TS clearance to perform their duties. There are different agencies that grant clearances - for instance, the Department of Defense and the Department of State both issue Top Secret clearances but through a slightly different process.

Unfortunately, unlike certifications, security clearances aren't something that we as individuals can apply for. The clearance investigation must be initiated by your employer.
    wow. very interesting. so - i need to work for a place that initiates it for me. very cool. i hope i can get one someday.

i have a question then, what does DoD 8570 clearance mean.

i see this website says that GIAC certifications mean that - i have it. am i wrong?

Dept of Defense Directive: DoDD 8570

https://www.sans.org/media/dod8570/dod8570.pdf
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security, MCTS
    DoD 8570 is something quite different actually! That directive outlines the minimum certification requirements for certain defined positions (IAM, IAT, and IASAE levels I through III, plus a few others). Several different certs can fulfill the requirements for a particular position. For instance, CISSP can be used to cover IAT III, IAM II, and IAM III, as well as IASAE I and II.

Here is the information straight from the source:
    DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications
    and
    DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program Home
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aftereffector View Post
    DoD 8570 is something quite different actually! That directive outlines the minimum certification requirements for certain defined positions (IAM, IAT, and IASAE levels I through III, plus a few others). Several different certs can fulfill the requirements for a particular position. For instance, CISSP can be used to cover IAT III, IAM II, and IAM III, as well as IASAE I and II.

Here is the information straight from the source:
    DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications
    and
    DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program Home
    thanks man. i appreciate it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks