+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCSE:Server infrastructure, MS:Hyper-v, MCT

Question ِadvise What next after MCSE?!!

Hello All,

I am New here, recently i get my MCSE certificate, and i am pretty confident with MS servers, i need advise what would be the best Certification i should go for to add to my skills that will help me improve and find better opportunities in the future?

Best Regards
    Laith
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, CEH, SSCP, EJPT, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, MCSA:W2K8, Linux+, LPIC-1, SCLA
    You're pretty much at the top of the hill regarding Microsoft certs so I don't know what could benefit you the most. What are you interested in? Depending on your interests, you could get into VMware or security or whichever you'd like I guess if you want to stay in the systems/server branch.

Reply With Quote Quote  

4. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    There are 8 other MSCE certifications.... Pick your poison
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    6 figures and then some.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA, CCDA, MCP, TOGAF Certified
    @N2IT you thibk the MCSE is worth 100k+? Which MCSE do you think pays the most?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    @Philz - An MCSE with complimentary experience can certainly be worth $100K. I was making 6 figures years ago in networking with a CCNA and my ambition. Now I'm working on cruising past the $200K mark :P

@OP - If you're feeling comfortable with servers, I would look into expanding your skillset and working on automation and scripting. Python, Powershell, etc - things to automate a lot of the server tasks. I see a lot of systems engineers who know how to click Next like experts but not so many who can script, sadly. Also I would recommend diving into Linux, VMware, Citrix to really broaden your skillset so you're not just an MS guy and your resume will stand out more. Good luck
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE: SI, MCITP: EA, MCITP: EDA, MCITP: VA, MCSA: Srv 2012, MCSA: Srv 2008, MCSA: Win 8, MCSA: Win 7, MCTS (x6), CCENT, A+, Srv+, N+, Sec+, Stor+, P+
    Last year I saw a job posting in the Boston area looking for a Microsoft Lync expert for $140K per year.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, CEH, SSCP, EJPT, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, MCSA:W2K8, Linux+, LPIC-1, SCLA
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    @Philz - An MCSE with complimentary experience can certainly be worth $100K. I was making 6 figures years ago in networking with a CCNA and my ambition. Now I'm working on cruising past the $200K mark :P
    @Iristheangel, if you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity how many years of experience did it take you to reach the 100K$ mark?

Reply With Quote Quote  

10. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminLandry View Post
    @Iristheangel, if you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity how may years of experience did it take you to reach the 100K$ mark?
    I don't mind at all. I had done almost 2 years as a Jr admin at some small shop, 2.5 year as a security analyst and in between, I did a 3 month internship at an MSP and did sidework off of Onforce, Workmarket, etc. Anything to get more experience at that point.
    I got lucky and got hired as a network consultant at a big company for $50/hr. Within 90 days, I got a $5/hr raise from the director of IT. 8 months later, I was a FTE with a big bump in pay and a 20% bonus a year. Now a couple years later, I'm at a much bigger company that I honestly feel will keep me happy for 5-10+ years at this point.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    For the person who down repped me saying

"Stfu about 100k that is all you talk about, big mouth"

$100,000.00 formerly known as 100k

:-p
    Last edited by philz1982; 04-09-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by philz1982 View Post
    For the person who down repped me saying all i talk about is 100k.

$100,000.00

LoL. WTF?

Oh well.. I get down repped all the time but it's an internet forum and green bars don't translate to points in life. I've met some cool people off of here through the years and that's why I bounce back here.
    Last edited by Iristheangel; 04-09-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    P+, Cloud+, 74-409, CCNA R&S
    A VCP-DCV would complement your MCSE pretty well. It depends on what interests you though obviously
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE: SI, MCITP: EA, MCITP: EDA, MCITP: VA, MCSA: Srv 2012, MCSA: Srv 2008, MCSA: Win 8, MCSA: Win 7, MCTS (x6), CCENT, A+, Srv+, N+, Sec+, Stor+, P+
    LoL. WTF? I'm confused.
    I think someone has been down-repping Philz lately.

Philz, feel free to report this activity to a moderator. At the very least they can investigate to see if it's the same repeat offender. I think that may constitute forum harassment or abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by nster View Post
    A VCP-DCV would complement your MCSE pretty well. It depends on what interests you though obviously
    I agree, I think the VCP-DCV would be a great complement to the MCSE (server).
    Last edited by srabiee; 04-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Na dude like Iris said it doesn't matter and I don't really care I just like to show my appreciation for people who take the time to anonomously complain

Like I've always said , well really since 4 months ago at least, Haters hate us cause they ain't us!
    Last edited by philz1982; 04-09-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCAP6-DCV Deploy, VCP6-DCV, MCSA 2012, CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Linux+ Storage+ Sec+ Net+ A+ Proj+ ITILF
    IIWY I'd look into other MCSE certs, ones you are interested of course. VMware would be good certs to have but I have a feeling hyper-v is starting to take over in the windows server space and for good reason.

Depending on where you are, $100K is comfortable or a lot. In the midwest I don't see many MCSE openings paying $100K but $100K here is like $200K in socal and nyc. CCIE and CISSP on the other hand begin around $100K. In Turkey I have no idea.
    Last edited by techfiend; 04-10-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    LoL. WTF?

Oh well.. I get down repped all the time but it's an internet forum and green bars don't translate to points in life. I've met some cool people off of here through the years and that's why I bounce back here.

Green bars ARE LIFE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    P+, Cloud+, 74-409, CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by philz1982 View Post
    For the person who down repped me saying

"Stfu about 100k that is all you talk about, big mouth"

$100,000.00 formerly known as 100k

100K and love from N2IT, there's a lot to be jealous about!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    @ Nster I'm jealous of your cloud and project + certifications.

@ Philz Like IRIS mentioned, with the experience one MCSE can get you 100K, even in the midwest. I know of a system admin from my last job who was laid off recently who got picked up by Mastercard for ~ 140,000 in the midwest, he has his A+ and MCSE 2003. Like Iris mentioned he does have experience to go with it.

PS whoever said you can't make 100,000 in the midwest with an MCSE is really bad at evaluating the market.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCAP6-DCV Deploy, VCP6-DCV, MCSA 2012, CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Linux+ Storage+ Sec+ Net+ A+ Proj+ ITILF
    If you are referring to my post on mcse's making $100K in the midwest you misinterpreted it. I said I don't see many $100K openings looking for MCSE's here, which is MN. I was referring to the midwest as $100K being more like $200K in socal and nyc. In other locations I have no idea, systems seem to be very saturated job market around here.

I know of 3 MCSE's locally that have bachelors and 15+ years of experience, none of them have broken $85K and they've held many windows sys admin positions from smb's to enterprise. OTOH I know of a CCIE that has no degree and 10 years of experience near the $200K with a relatively small company. The 2 local CISSP's I know are making well north of $100K at least judging by their possessions.
    Last edited by techfiend; 04-10-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Here in MN I know one MCSE that makes about 100k. But that is because he has his own small company... I would think most MCSEs here in MN are closer to the 80k range
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Around here it seems systems job listings are looking for a lot more experience then they used to while paying the same as well. In the long run it's not about how much money you make but how enjoyable your job is IMO. This coming from someone who doesn't care all that much for systems and is severely underpaid for doing it but foot in the door. Looking forward to moving into networks and hopefully the demand for it stays as hot as it is right now in the area.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    @Techfiend

No questions the CCIE will command more money, at least that is the trends I have seen.

I agree MCSE and 200k nonsense unless it's just a cert that goes along with a beefy set of skills and responsibilities.

With that said you can get 100,000 all day in the midwest as a SA with an MCSE, granted you have legit experience and years of service. 7+

We hired a SA with ~7 years of service no certifications right at 85k and he lasted 2 years and 5 months. He ended up getting released but now he is a network admin at a fortune 500 making 120,000 no certs.

Just saying.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by techfiend View Post
    Around here it seems systems job listings are looking for a lot more experience then they used to while paying the same as well. In the long run it's not about how much money you make but how enjoyable your job is IMO. This coming from someone who doesn't care all that much for systems and is severely underpaid for doing it but foot in the door. Looking forward to moving into networks and hopefully the demand for it stays as hot as it is right now in the area.
    I disagree its is totally about how much money you make. I can be super happy at my job but if I get paid crap and my kids have to live in the projects and risk getting shot or worse forget that. Money gives you the ability to pursue happiness. I know this for a fact as I started at 17k/yr and the things I can now do with my family at my current salary make a massive quality of life difference.
    Last edited by philz1982; 04-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    @Philz - I don't think it should be all about the money you make. Obviously, you need money to survive and keep your family safe but I think there is a point where long term happiness, stability, etc should outweigh job hopping and the constant pursuit of a larger paycheck. If I was offered a job outside of my existing company for $50K more, I wouldn't take it because I'm happy with the people I work with, my job, and the quality of life I have. It is nice that they do reward me and compensate me well... but if my heart wasn't in it, that money wouldn't feel like it was worth it. Maybe one day I won't feel fulfilled in my current position and want something more, but I can't see that day being in the next 5 years and I think my company will continue to pay me well as I progress professionally. I guess I don't just see a job as a means to an end... it's also got to be something I enjoy doing and feel passionate about.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    @iris I can respect that, different strokes for different folks. My passion is home and family and I see work as a means to an end. The reason I strive so much for money is cause my end goal is to teach and spend time at home with my kids/wife.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks