+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IT Security

1. Junior Member

Default IT Security

Is it hard to get an entry level Security job with a Security+ and no experience ? (Studying for Cert)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Security+, Network+, Server+
    I am studying for the Security+ as well, but mostly to meet a DoD requirement. I don't expect to land any security roles with it even though I have A+, Network+ and IT experience.

The thing with security is that it's not entry level. You will need to understand networking/servers and how it all falls together before moving to security role.

Not to say entry level roles do not exist, it's how I see it.
    2017 Goals: Security+ [] Server+ []
    2018 Goals: CCNA Cyber Ops, Security[ ] CISSP [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    RHCSA (RHEL6), CCENT, ITIL Foundations v3 (ITSM)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey88 View Post

The thing with security is that it's not entry level. You will need to understand networking/servers and how it all falls together before moving to security role.

+rep to you my friend, this is so true. I've been a linux sysadmin for almost 10yrs mixed in with some basic network experience (deploying layer2 switches, deploying cisco asa firewalls) and I'm just now looking into ITSEC. I'm hoping my past experience combined with an ITSEC certification or two will allow me to move into a security analyst position and then upwards from there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Hard but not impossible
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayMaker88 View Post
    Is it hard to get an entry level Security job with a Security+ and no experience ? (Studying for Cert)
    Like unix said hard but not impossible.

Go for it!
    Position: Data Junky
    Reformed Cert Addict.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNET, CCNA R&S, ITIL, MCP, Security+
    I have about seven years IT experience and a few years experience as an IT PM doing risk management. I came back into IT and got my CCNA, and Security+ hoping to break into an IT Security role. I'm not having any luck yet, but hope springs eternal...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    Is it hard? Yes. As others have said, you need a base understanding of networking, systems, software, etc. However, there are jobs out there that are willing to hire people with very little to no experience. They are just rare.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks