+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default How do you guys study..do you make pages of notes?

I really feel at a big disadvantage, I cant sit and take notes from a book,I endup writing out the entire book. If theres a huge chunk of text where all info is important I just wouldnt know how you could list it as bullet points. Can you guys give me some tips or share how you study best.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member NetworkingStudent's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, and Security+. MTA: OS
    Have a look at this thread

Notetaking

What's the most effective way you find of taking notes?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    none
    I also tend to make too many notes (and I don't always get back to them) but I believe it helps to memorize things better. Just try not to put everything down word by word and paraphrase ideas
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    I take books of notes. Usually from practice exams; when I get a question wrong, I write out the question, the correct answer, and explanation (if any is provided), and even questions I made a lucky guess, I write it out. Anecdotally It helps me remember the material. As the test date draws closer, I write it out twice.

My colleagues joke I should put my notebooks up on eBay that helped me pass the CISSP exam my first time lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, GCIA, GCIH, C|EH, and more.
    It varies per exam. I haven't taken any notes for my GIAC and CISM studies.

While studying for Cisco exams, I would read a chapter and watch the corresponding CBT nugget. I would take notes on things the video mentioned that I did not see in the book.

I began taking notes for the CISSP after failing twice. I used multiple resources to study so I took notes to highlight the similarities and differences between the multiple authors.

For C|EH I took notes on things I read about on the internet that were not covered in the book (recent major vulnerabilities/threats) plus topics I saw on the Boson practice exams that also were not covered in the Matt Walker material.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I typically make reams of notes from the course/book, then make a shorter set of notes from that. I'll then redo anything that seems ultra-important (think OSI model when studying networking, etc.) 15-20 times to make sure it's carved into my brain.
    2017: CCNP (done), FITSI-M (done) CCIE Written
    2018: CCIE R/S
    2019: VCP (DCV/NV), OSCP
    2020-1: MBA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    Maybe it's my age but I usually only review things that tie back to what I already know, at least 50% cross over. I very rarely find myself studying brand new concepts, sometimes tools but the premise aligns with a lot of what I know already.

Since nothing is too foreign I can remember most what I read and I take my time.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-13-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Position: Data Junky
    Reformed Cert Addict.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkingStudent View Post
    Have a look at this thread

Notetaking

What's the most effective way you find of taking notes?
    Great.I appreciate it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks