+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012/2016, BTEC Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence

Default Microsoft Online Proctored Exams

Hi all,

My nearest test centre is about an hour away and this is quite a drag and means I have to book days off work to go and do the certs that I want.

I'm looking at Microsoft OP exams as they provide good flexibility and means I don't have to travel 100ish miles there and back. Has anyone used these before? Just because its more convenient does that mean its better?
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016
    Studying: Exam 70-697: Configuring Windows Devices
    Want: MCSA: Windows 10, MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Exam 70-744: Securing Windows Server 2016), Network+, Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    I have used online exams (HDI and ITIL foundation). It is convenient, (ITIL, though can be a pain in the ass).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

The online exams I've taken (ITIL, Microsoft) are a mixed bag. The ITIL stuff was recorded, so that was actually easier. You just read a piece of text and do exactly what it says to setup for the exam.

The Microsoft one is WAY more of a ballache. As it's live, you have to "check-in" with an examiner, who checks literally everything, including the non-existant frame of my clear glasses to see if I am cheating in any way whatsoever. Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.

Oh and expect to take longer doing the scan of the room for them than anything else.
    Desktop: MCSE: Mobility | Server: MTA | Cloud: None | Networking: MTA
    Security: None | Linux: None | Service Management: ITIL 2011: Foundation
    Currently Studying: 70-740 - Installation, Storage and Compute with Windows Server 2016
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012/2016, BTEC Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    Oh great aha. Sounds like they really don't want people to cheat
    Want: MCSA: Windows 10, MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Exam 70-744: Securing Windows Server 2016), Network+, Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by djrabes View Post
    Oh great aha. Sounds like they really don't want people to cheat
    Of course, I think we all want that. But they do go overboard, I feel. Of course, it's their system and I choose to pay to use it, I get that, but it could still be done without making the person feel like a criminal.
    Currently Studying: 70-740 - Installation, Storage and Compute with Windows Server 2016
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    Of course, I think we all want that. But they do go overboard, I feel. Of course, it's their system and I choose to pay to use it, I get that, but it could still be done without making the person feel like a criminal.
    Would you recommend that though? - I can probably get a small room in work without any distractions (TVs, Screens etc)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Essentially, you need a room where noone will interfere, even in the slightest. No phone calls, no people walking around, no background chatter, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    Interestingly enough my ITIL exam was exactly how you described your Microsoft experience. I was periodically asked to swing my laptop around to show my desk and my office was empty lol.

The online exams I've taken (ITIL, Microsoft) are a mixed bag. The ITIL stuff was recorded, so that was actually easier. You just read a piece of text and do exactly what it says to setup for the exam.

The Microsoft one is WAY more of a ballache. As it's live, you have to "check-in" with an examiner, who checks literally everything, including the non-existant frame of my clear glasses to see if I am cheating in any way whatsoever. Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.

Oh and expect to take longer doing the scan of the room for them than anything else.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP CEH CCNP Security
    Oh, and if you have any spare monitors or screens within about a mile of your location (I exaggerate, but it feels like it!), then they'll ask you to disconnect the power and video cable, turn it away, cover it with a cloth and probably enchant it with some such encantation.
    multiple VMs feeding into the same physical monitor might be a solution for someone...the whole idea of online cert tests just seems wierd and an open invitation to cheats of some kind.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    I agree, but, those inclined to cheat find other ways to cheat anyway. Those who study and earn certificates the hard way will be less inclined to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett View Post
    multiple VMs feeding into the same physical monitor might be a solution for someone...the whole idea of online cert tests just seems wierd and an open invitation to cheats of some kind.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks