+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA,

Default Is VCP still worth in 2017?

Just wondering how much value does VCP certificate holds right now? Specially while many of small to medium size businesses switching to cloud?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S & Security, MCSA: Server 2012 & Office 365
    I'm in the UK and have been on a job hunt recently. Approximately 60-70% of the jobs I am going for (infrastructure type roles) are listing VCP/VMware as one of their essentials or desirable requirements. I don't believe the need for these qualifications is going to disappear anytime soon, although it's not going to be as prominent as it once was.
    2017 Goals: 70-347[X], CCNA R&S [X], CCNA Security [X]
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[], CCNP Switch 300-115[], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[], VCP-DCV[]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP (endorsement in progress)
    I am VCP since 2008. In those year being VCP was more "exceptionnal" and was almost perceived as a "high-level cert" but now it is the A+/Network+ of infrastructure job (just a bit exagerated). Now for exceptionnal VMware they are expecting higher level cert like VCAP...

If you want to be serious about infrastructure, then do it It will never make you loose point in an interview.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    There's a lot of hype around cloud. Not saying organizations aren't doing it but there has been hype over many IT things over the years and now it's cloud's turn. You're going to have to have a good hype radar if you're going to succeed in this industry.
    2017: CCNP (done), FITSI-M (done) CCIE Written
    2018: CCIE R/S
    2019: VCP (DCV/NV), OSCP
    2020-1: MBA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    The big boys may not ever but the majority of their infrastructure in the cloud. Of those, a super majority will be running VMware infrastructure for the foreseeable future.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 10/27/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-410 (one exam left for MCSA 2012)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), MCSA 2016 upgrade, more Linux
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, AWS Solution Architect (Associate), Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Why not do an Amazon AWS cert instead?
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Tell you this much, I've recently been doing some security architecting for the SMB market. Almost all clients use O365 and a good number are already in Azure. Those with physical hardware seem to use Hyper-V.

My own personal opinion is that VMware will be relegated to the Enterprise (like Exchange) so if you're going to pursue it as a career path, I'd go hard and deep.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
    My own personal opinion is that VMware will be relegated to the Enterprise (like Exchange) so if you're going to pursue it as a career path, I'd go hard and deep.
    The last 4 companies I have worked for (in the UK) have all been moving away from VMWare to Azure and leaving VMWare to host legacy stuff that is unimportant. In the SME space it is becoming at best useful, but it is not a door opening cert anymore.

The enterprise space is a different ball game, but the number of people with experience and skills are gravitating towards these last few work spaces so competition is fierce and without experience you will struggle.

I would recommend focussing on cloud certs in combination with Office 365 and Sharepoint as this is the way the majority of SMEs are going now - even Google users are being lured away by the better quality services Microsoft offer and the availability of staff with experience to support it.

Perhaps the USA is a bit more behind the curve here so best to look at what the job adverts are looking for, identify the trends of change and get ahead of the curve.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    The largest economy in the world will have a wide variety of organizations and situations. Location in this case is far more important than anything else and since the OP is in NYC, he'll have a wide variety of options. Far more than if he were in Omaha.

I do agree that smaller firms are more likely to use Hyper-V and larger ones to use VMware. Someone starting off just with vSphere will be at a disadvantage with a VCP unless they're combining it with other skills (AD, NSX, Cisco, etc.) Because vSphere in the enterprise is one component, people will do better with complimentary skills or going deeper into VMware with the VCAP.

Because of the location, I think he'll do just fine with getting a VCP.
    2017: CCNP (done), FITSI-M (done) CCIE Written
    2018: CCIE R/S
    2019: VCP (DCV/NV), OSCP
    2020-1: MBA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Agreed, focus your efforts on Cloud based certs. Azure/Amazon
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    CCNA,
    Probably it doesn't worth as much as it used to 5/6 years back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, A+, eJPT, GSEC, VCP5-DCV
    I just switched jobs and I plan on letting my VCP expire. If you can get a company to pay for your class fee then get the VCP. With that said, I would renew it if I was looking to stick with "SysAdmin" work so it was a toss up.

I got it because I was working in a VMware environment but without that as a driver, I would go with AWS or something like it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, MCSA-2012, VCP-DCV, Linux+
    Go for AWS. Things are moving to cloud.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks