+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    MCP, CCNP R&S

Default Cloud Certification and Career

I have a few cloud cert and career questions that I decided to lump together.

Should I start with Azure or AWS? Most of my server experience was Windows not Linux

For certification, AWS is pretty straight forward, it requires recertification every 2 years. I do not understand MCSA/MCSE recertification. I thought I read they do not expire, but I also read you have to take a new exam every year to keep current?

One final question. As you can see, I have my CCNP in routing and switching. I worked really hard to get this certification. By switching more to cloud, do I say goodbye to this certification and skills, or are there cloud positions where I can make use of them?

CC
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+,CCENT,CCNAR&S,CCNA Security,CCNA Voice,CCNP R&S,BCNE2012,HCNA,ITIL Foundations,BCNP, BAIS,VCA-DCV
    Excellent post I myself am looking to jump to the cloud side of things, btw you should like Vmware Esxi and NSX
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    MCP, CCNP R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadakartel View Post
    Excellent post I myself am looking to jump to the cloud side of things, btw you should like Vmware Esxi and NSX
    Cool, hopefully we get some good advice. I've done a lot work with esxi in the past, but never touched NSX
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Scruffy-looking nerfherdr tedjames's Avatar

Certifications
    SSCP, Security+, eJPT +4
    Check the Cloud+ forum. You may find some useful info there. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA(Security/Data Center), PCNSE 7, CySA+ and others
    Quote Originally Posted by CE1028 View Post
    I have a few cloud cert and career questions that I decided to lump together.

Should I start with Azure or AWS? Most of my server experience was Windows not Linux

For certification, AWS is pretty straight forward, it requires recertification every 2 years. I do not understand MCSA/MCSE recertification. I thought I read they do not expire, but I also read you have to take a new exam every year to keep current?

One final question. As you can see, I have my CCNP in routing and switching. I worked really hard to get this certification. By switching more to cloud, do I say goodbye to this certification and skills, or are there cloud positions where I can make use of them?

CC
    I haven't looked at MS certs in a long time. I can see the confusion. It's not very clear to me either. I just purchased a subscription to LinuxAcademy. Its tempting to start with AWS, but since my past history included windows server/exchange/o365, it may make more sense for me to start with Azure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+, Cloud+, AWS DevOps Engineer Pro [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, AWS CSA]
    I think if most of your server exp is Windows in an enterprise-type setting, you should look into Azure
    Goals for 2018:
    Certs: RHCSA, LFCS: Ubuntu | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
    Learn: Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus & Golang | Improve: Docker, Python Programming
    To-do | In Progress | Completed
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks