+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA

Default Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Interesting announcement from Google today about some new training they are offering. It's aimed at entry level tech support, but I would speculate it's probably pretty good training and material coming from Google.

https://about.coursera.org/google-it-support/

Course information: https://www.coursera.org/specializat...gle-it-support
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, Trifecta
    That is interesting. I personally have the impression that having Coursera on a resume isn't something anyone would ever take seriously, but then that's just me. I suppose other than the A+, there aren't many other alternatives aside from some expensive trade school or college certificate on the entry level end.

Edit: So it's $50 a month for 8-12 months. This costs $400-600.
    Last edited by yoba222; 01-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    2018: CySA+ | PenTest+ | OSCP | CISA
    2019: CCNA Cyber Ops | CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by yoba222 View Post
    That is interesting. I personally have the impression that having Coursera on a resume isn't something anyone would ever take seriously, but then that's just me. I suppose other than the A+, there aren't many other alternatives aside from some expensive trade school or college certificate on the entry level end.

Edit: So it's $50 a month for 8-12 months. This costs $400-600.

Agree about Coursera, but I bet a cert from Google looks pretty good on the resume (for this level). From my understanding, they are also going to offer some kind of financial assistance or scholarships as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    Would this cert be worthless to someone who has an A+?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
    Looking at the course descriptions, I would say it appears to go much deeper then the A+. Might be some overlap with the A+, but if you are looking for entry level looks like some good content from reading the descriptions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_86 View Post
    Looking at the course descriptions, I would say it appears to go much deeper then the A+. Might be some overlap with the A+, but if you are looking for entry level looks like some good content from reading the descriptions.
    Yeah, reading through the cirrulculm of the 1st course, this cert isn't comparable to a professional IT cert. It's comparable to graduating with a IT AAS degree or undergraduate certificate from your local community college.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    I came here to post this, I think its fantastic. Review the course list, I think its a broad base to build off from if you have little to no experience in IT.

It would pair well with something like A+ since that cert is hardware centric and this introduces concepts like networking, scripting/automation, OS manipulation and basic security concepts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    +1 Chris

In regards to the cost, I went ahead and signed up for 7 days and powered through one of the certifications and ended up completing it and getting the cert before my trial was over. I removed my CC and never got charged.....

Just saying if you are tight on money or just cheap like me, then it's worth a look.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 01-17-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    That's great that you guys think it's fantastic - but what the average HR person, will this hold any weight in an interview?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneil3144 View Post
    That's great that you guys think it's fantastic - but what the average HR person, will this hold any weight in an interview?
    Google already has big name employers & staffing agencies lined up for use with this certificate is good with if you read the article.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Yeah for a random new vendor that decides to do a certification I'd say it's probably worthless. When Google decides to do one they have a lot of weight behind them, it'll probably gain momentum. This really looks like a solid training program and very reasonable. I know too many people who call themselves Sr sysadmins who probably don't know most of the section on automation yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Good strategy on their part: flood the market with more credentialed (but not qualified) candidates and drive down the price.

It’s like these big names are effectively creating a “minimum wage worker group“ for the IT industry. Instead of raising wages for competent help

Last edited by Daneil3144; 01-21-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneil3144 View Post
    Good strategy on their part: flood the market with more credentialed (but not qualified) candidates and drive down the price.

It’s like these big names are effectively creating a “minimum wage worker group“ for the IT industry. Instead of raising wages for competent help

I can be pretty cynical, but with that logic isn't every training, education and certification program designed to get people into the IT industry? How exactly is Google going to raise wages of the entire industry? If anything they pay really well, they should be commended for trying to increase the skillset of the average IT person.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    One of the things they cover:

- utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting

I was so hoping this was just going to be their main focus when I read it was aimed at entry level support. You know, just teach you how to "Google" things on Google... I was a little disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks