+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy_kitty View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiousity, does anyone know if you're allowed to purchase more than one beta exam if you don't feel like you did as well as you thought you did? Haven't taken mine yet but may ease the nerves.
    They have a limit of one attempt per person.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    EnderWiggin,

Any chance you could share what you used to study or possible materials that would be beneficial to go over? Can't seem to find anything other than that pdf of the overview
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Novell CNA 5.0, MCP 70-210, Server+, Security+, Cloud+
    ANY TE folks that are certified PenTesters already, how did you prepare for Pen Tester type of exams?

Did you create a lab network at home, install several different OSes (XP/Vista/Server2003/2008 on old systems or VMs, managed switches, 2nd router, web server (IIS & Apache), secondary WAP? I guess you would want to do this so you can test some of the tools that are on the exam, right??

Bueller, Bueller?? Anyone, Anyone??
    2018 goals -> PenTest+ Beta (failed), CEH (Oct), Linux+ 103 (Dec)
    2019 goals -> Linux+ 104 (Feb)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PenTest+, CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    Quote Originally Posted by shochan View Post
    ANY TE folks that are certified PenTesters already, how did you prepare for Pen Tester type of exams?
    Did you create a lab network at home, install several different OSes (XP/Vista/Server2003/2008 on old systems or VMs, managed switches, 2nd router, web server (IIS & Apache), secondary WAP? I guess you would want to do this so you can test some of the tools that are on the exam, right??

Unlicensed pentester here.
    Judging from the two feedbacks so far (thanks EnderWiggin and Atippet), I'm personally going to take this exam more seriously now.

I've been involved in a few pentests at work. For the exam, whatever I'm not familiar with, I'll lab. I don't get much value out of memorizing tool names and what they're for flash card style.

For example, I see the tool Responder is on the objectives. For me, I recall one engagement where a person on my team snuck into the target's building and plugged a device into their network successfully. Because of that, when I see the term Responder, I associate it with responder.py, which we used to grab ntlmv2 hashes for offline cracking using Hashcat and different masks, which also was a success.

It would be a real challenge to recreate and lab out every single tool in the objectives I think.

So I'm labbing, but only to fill in the 40% missing experience on tools I have never happened to use yet. I've used Medusa, Hydra, John the Ripper, but never Cewl so I'll lab that one. By labbing I mean virtualbox and whatever VMs appropriate to the scenario.
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP or CISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, CEH, PMP, ACP, CCNA, CTFL, Cloud+

Hey Shochan,

A combination of EC-Council bootcamp and undergrad/graduate lab assignments and lectures helped me prep for CEH. If that's not an option for you I would consider purchasing a Udemy course (purchased one to brush up on a few topics). Much more affordable than the boot camp (company paid for it) and there are quite a few that provide quality review material/practice exams. I'd also play around with a few commands/network scanner. Consider looking at Nmap tutorials. There are a few Youtube videos that should help you to grasp commands and the types of scans/how and why they're used. Review:

-Cryptography/Asymmetric & Symmetric Keys and Algorithms, Hashing,
    -Recognize Attack Methods
    -Recognize Famous Attacks
    -Regulations
    -Tools
    -Ports
    -Testing Methods

I'm sure there's more to add to that list but I don't recall at the moment. May sound overwhelming but it really isn't. Like I said there are Udemy courses you can take to supplement your studies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teezus View Post
    EnderWiggin,

Any chance you could share what you used to study
    Of course! I signed up for it last week, and spent no time studying for it whatsoever. I relied entirely on my existing knowledge base of work experience and at-home lab exercises I've done for fun.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Haha glad that worked for you, any points of emphasis that helped or just too broad to specify? I work as a pen tester but just trying to gain a grasp of what I should be going over so I don't go flop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    C|EH, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy_kitty View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiousity, does anyone know if you're allowed to purchase more than one beta exam if you don't feel like you did as well as you thought you did? Haven't taken mine yet but may ease the nerves.
    The print out that you get after the exam says you can only take it 1 time. I will say, if I don’t pass, this will be one certification that I will DEFINITELY go after once it is out of Beta.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

hackthebox, vulnhub, overthewire, metasploitable etc etc
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teezus View Post
    Haha glad that worked for you, any points of emphasis that helped or just too broad to specify? I work as a pen tester but just trying to gain a grasp of what I should be going over so I don't go flop.
    Points of emphasis would be penetration testing and vulnerability analysis.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Sat for this a couple days ago on Tuesday, definitely one of the funner CompTIA tests. Know your tools folks, study the materials listed in the objectives PDF!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I found this book & started reading, Professional Penetration Testing: Creating and Learning in a Hacking Lab, Second Edition, by Thomas Wilhelm, ISBN: 9781597499934.

I have almost completely read the Matt Walker C|EH book - so hopefully this will tie everything together to hopefully do well on this test.

Cheers & Hi5!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    The early reviews of this test are encouraging.

Looking forward to it now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, OSWP, GPEN, CEHv9, eJPT, A+, Security+, Linux+, CySA+, PenTest+, LPIC-1, CCENT, Linux Essentials
    Just finish the beta exam. I have to say that it was surprisingly difficult for being a CompTIA exam. Seems they really listened to their SMEs at thier workshop for this cert. I love how much scripting they incorperated in and how well it compliments the other questions.

This definitley is better (and SHOULD replace) the CEH exam. Honestly I would put it more on the level with GPEN, but not quite as difficult. That being said it's not a open book exam like the GPEN is so I feel that ups the difficulty.

No idea if I passed or not as I'll admit some answers I flat out did not know. Mainly the web application questions as I have the least experience in that arena.Highly recommend anyone with some penetration testing experience or interest in the field try the beta and wait and try the exam when it comes out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP | CASP | CSA+ | LPIC-1 |Linux+ | Security+ | ITILv3 | SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (SUSE CLA) | SUSE 11 Tech Spec |
    Just signed up for it (25 April) that should give me time to get my CEH out of the way and create a few labs to practice in. Sounds like this exam is more along the lines of practical application than CEH.
    2018 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    PenTest+, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, CASP, CEH (revoked), CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, MSIT InfoSec
    I'm surprised nobody has posted SANS' pentesting materials: https://pen-testing.sans.org/resources/downloads

UPDATE: SANS people had a hand in this pentest info too: http://www.pentest-standard.org/index.php/Main_Page
    Last edited by JDMurray; 02-18-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, CISSP, Net+, Sec+, HealthCareIT,
    Good Morning Are they only limiting this to 400 people? What happens if 400 people take the test prior to my scheduled test date?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, and CASP; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    Quote Originally Posted by arussnfl View Post
    Good Morning Are they only limiting this to 400 people? What happens if 400 people take the test prior to my scheduled test date?
    I believe that when the limit is reached those who have paid for, but not taken the exam, will be refunded.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    PenTest+, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, CASP, CEH (revoked), CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, MSIT InfoSec
    I'm assuming they will not allow more than 400 people to sign up for the beta. If you successfully signed up then you have a spot.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GCED, GCIA, GCIH, GCUX, GCWN, GPEN, ISO2700, CCNA-SecOps, Sec+, Net+, A+, Linux+, Pentest+, MCITP
    Hopefully this is a big win for CompTIA and points people away from the ceh. I'll let you know what my test experience is like. Earliest I can test is mid-March.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, CISSP, Net+, Sec+, HealthCareIT,

Default Recommended Book

Good Morning, Does anyone have suggestions on books to utilize for exam preparation?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CPT+, CASP, CSAE, CNSP, CNVP, C|EH, OSCP, Splunk Certified Admin
    This is not a "read a book and pass the test" exam. You will need actual hands-on experience to pass this exam. If you have never done pentesting or haven't done quite a few CTFs, then you are more then likely going to fail it. CEH materials will not help you, no book will help you. Start doing CTFs and familiarize yourself with the pentesting process, that's the only things that will help you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    I'm assuming they will not allow more than 400 people to sign up for the beta. If you successfully signed up then you have a spot.
    I'm hoping for this as I have mine scheduled for March 21st... We'll see. Definitely not the biggest deal if I just get refunded though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, and CASP; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    Quote Originally Posted by McxRisley View Post
    This is not a "read a book and pass the test" exam. You will need actual hands-on experience to pass this exam. If you have never done pentesting or haven't done quite a few CTFs, then you are more then likely going to fail it. CEH materials will not help you, no book will help you. Start doing CTFs and familiarize yourself with the pentesting process, that's the only things that will help you.
    Thanks to your feedback, I have canceled my exam. I was under the false assumption that since CompTIA asked for CEH qualified individuals to help develop the exam that it would merely require a read through and maybe some hands on stuff. Your advice is definitely helpful, so thank you for that.

Now, I don't know if they will come out with a second edition of the exam, but if they do I will be prepared for it. To that end, and taking your advice a little bit further, I am going to build a few CTFs for friends and really dig deep on this one. Maybe, just maybe, when the next PenTester+ beta comes out (in three years or so?), I will be prepared and will nail it.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks