+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member
    Idk about you but a community college in California is around $600 per semester to take 3-4 classes. So what I did was, I took CCNA classes during college and landed an IT internship job. That opened me the door to get some experience while still attending college as a full time. Idk your situation but maybe you can apply for financial aid and you probably won't even pay for classes.
    Companies do care about you attending college or having a degree, that will help you move forward, there is no way you can aspire to be a manager or director without a college degree, most of them care. It's a tough road, but if you just focus on your studies (basically a no life living style trying to save money), it will pay off in some years.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
    Let me preface my response by giving you some quick background about me...

I'm 39, living in the US, and I have been working in IT for just over 20 years.

First things first...get your degree if you can. Go part time if you want to start working right away. I never really had a problem finding work without a degree. I left college after 2 years and never looked back. Started getting certifications right away. Now I'm fairly happy in my role as a Messaging Architect, making 6 figures a year, and in the process of upgrading my certs to be current.

However, there isn't a day that doesn't go by that I wish I had finished my degree. I plan on doing it eventually. After my kids go to their colleges. Just don't have the money to support 2 kids in college and go myself. I had to really bust my tail to get where I am at today. Likely would have much easier with a degree. I was an independent consultant for most of the past 20 years moving from contract to contract and moving every couple of years just to make ends meet and keep advancing in my career. Meanwhile I have 2 sisters who went the traditional route and have each been at their respective companies over 15 years. One is a CTO for a government contractor and the other is an IT VP for a large pharmaceutical company. Their career paths were fairly straight lined. Granted they had to work hard to get promoted. But I had to work over 45 contracts in 20 years and move all across the country (NJ, CA, LA, MD, back to NJ, FL, MN, back to NJ, and finally NC) to get to a point where I and my family are happy and stable.

Bottom line, this is just my rant but things may have been different if I had just finished that degree. Then again, if I hadn't left college I wouldn't have met my wife. I can honestly say that the folks here at TechExams will help support you in your certifications and career goals. Just make sure you really think things through before you make a life-altering decision.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks