+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Python Training

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP-ISSEP, CCSP, AWS CSA Associate, C|EH, Security+, A+, Network+, Linux+

Default Python Training

What do you all think are the best (can be paid or free) python training courses out there for a complete beginner? Looking for suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, OSWP, GPEN, CEHv9, eJPT, A+, Security+, Linux+, CySA+, PenTest+, LPIC-1, CCENT, Linux Essentials
    codeacademy.com is always a great free resource to start with that'll teach you the basics. Youtube has a lot of tutorials and I'm sure you can find pdf versions of books online with some googling.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Teamtreehouse.com is pretty decent. Have used it in the past. Isn't free though.

The best way I think to learn a language, to me at least, is to learn the basics and then try and make something on your own with it. Something that is interesting and something you might actually get some use out of. I feel like when I try to learn a new language and I don't have an immediate use for it I end up getting bored with it and go onto something else.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST MLS CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF CCO CCPA
    https://www.udemy.com/python-the-com...rn/v4/overview

Tim is the man when it comes to teaching programming and you goes through everything with the language.
    WIP:
    Python
    Java
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP plus a handful of others
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Grinch View Post
    https://www.udemy.com/python-the-com...rn/v4/overview

Tim is the man when it comes to teaching programming and you goes through everything with the language.
    based on this advice I bought the class and look forward to starting soon. Thanks internet stranger!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Somewhere studying... f16jetman's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS - CSA, AWS - CDA,Project+, Linux+, CySA+, A+, Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA: R&S CCNA: Sec,
    I have been following along with "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Interactive Edition" Link: https://runestone.academy/runestone/.../default/index
    It is completely free and teaches Python and how to approach problems as a trained Computer Scientist would. I have tried other courses, but I find they just teach you syntax and make you follow along with their projects without actually teaching how to see a problem and formulate a solution.

I hope you try it out!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    This is what I used to learn Python:

*Started with: https://learnpythonthehardway.org/
    *Subscribed to Safaribooksonline.com and then I was able to review almost every Python book out there
    *Books: The Hitchhikers Guide to Python, Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python, Python Cookbook

Your goal is to get a good foundation of Python and then pick a topic you like...you'll learn a lot more when you can apply Python to something you actually want to create/learn (web crawling, networking, web dev, pentesting, etc..).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Stanly CC offers an online programing course. Here are some course details This class is conducted online. This course introduces students to basic programming concepts using a modified Python language for education. This is a free software download for students.

We also plan to offer Cisco's Python Programming course in the near future.

You can send me a pm or check out our new IT Academy web page on our college site: https://www.stanly.edu/it-academy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    You can do the online and free training of Python The Hard Way https://learnpythonthehardway.org/
    2018 Year goals:
    CCNA Cyber Ops [Done!], VCP6-DCV @ Stanly, May 31
    CCENT-CCNA [1%]
    "They say my dream is to big, I say they think to small" Brad Sugars
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, Teradata Database Certified Associate
    I've seen coursera loading up on Python courses. Anyone had a chance to take one of these?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HDI:SCA, MTA:OS, MCTS:7
    I used LearnPythonTheHardway.org like a few others and learned a lot. This won't make you a professional, but it sets a great foundation. He has a starter and advanced book for Python 2 and a starter book for Python 3. The advanced Python 3 book is in pre-publishing right now. Find the free online version python 3 HERE.

I cannot comment on the advanced Python books as I haven't used them yet. Good luck, I enjoyed Python.
    Last edited by About7Narwhal; 02-10-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Missed hyperlink.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member
    What's your end goal? Here's a good one for system administrators: Python 3 Scripting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PenTest+, CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    While not the OP, I Just wanted to thank everybody for their contributions to this topic. I was seriously tempted by that Linux Academy 9 hour scripting course, but I'd rather not sprint through it in 7 days or pay $49 for access for a month. I have the Automate the Boring stuff textbook and that Runestone interactive book is really cool.

I ended up dropping $12 on the Tim Buchalka/Jean-Paul Roberts course on Udemy because of this thread. I think what swayed me was checking their forums and seeing some random student had posted a question 2 hours ago. Jean-Paul had replied an hour later. The free stuff is great, but it's harder when you have a question in the content because you're basically on your own to figure it out, at least from my perspective.
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP or CISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSD (Web), MCSA (SQL Server 2012/14/16), AWS Architect (Assoc.)
    I started learning Python after I bought a Raspberry Pi. I found that provided plenty of motivation for me to learn, because I wanted to get the camera and other sensors working, and there are lots of on-line tutorials for Python on the Pi. It includes Python development tools as standard.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member
    you should learn from youtube best source for learning python I personally believe that or you could go to codeacedmy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks