+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 59
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    251

    Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #26
    If you can fit training anywhere into your 60+ hour weekly work activities, then by all means.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    281

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, ITIL v3, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCITP:EDST/EDA
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Squished View Post
    Absolutely nothing at all and I have many books. Much of my higher level IT skills are self taught, uncertified skills acquired from books and Google. When the exams are hundreds of dollars a piece and the lab trainings are equally expensive, It becomes cost-prohibitive.
    Lab training expensive?

    Microsoft server ISOs are free. Packet tracer is free. I'm sure there are many more examples.

    I'm not buying this. I've never had work pay for my certs. I pay for everything, and I do it on a budget. But guess what? I still do it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Lab training expensive?

    Microsoft server ISOs are free. Packet tracer is free. I'm sure there are many more examples.

    I'm not buying this. I've never had work pay for my certs. I pay for everything, and I do it on a budget. But guess what? I still do it.
    Cost is relative to life circumstances.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    281

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, ITIL v3, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCITP:EDST/EDA
    #29
    Do you drink alcohol? Go out with friends on occasion? Smoke? Not insinuating that you do.

    I'm just saying there's almost always a way to make something work if you want it enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Do you drink alcohol? Go out with friends on occasion? Smoke? Not insinuating that you do.

    I'm just saying there's almost always a way to make something work if you want it enough.
    D. None of the above! I didn't realize IT people could make friends.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    281

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, ITIL v3, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCITP:EDST/EDA
    #31
    No, we're all confined to basements and are only allowed out at night.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    No, we're all confined to basements and are only allowed out at night.
    Mom's basement, right?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    227

    Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP, JNCIA
    #33
    I guess I have always been lucky, all my employers just paid for my training without any contract to stay. I'd always go for the cert, it will pay for itself in the long run.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    524

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #34
    Now, after all those year without training, it serve no purpose to bash on you. You had your reason to not get traininng, and it is fine. It is more a matter of what will you do now

    Well, it look like the same talk my doctor told me about my weight...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    Now, after all those year without training, it serve no purpose to bash on you. You had your reason to not get traininng, and it is fine. It is more a matter of what will you do now

    Well, it look like the same talk my doctor told me about my weight...
    Oh I'll take the bashing. I know I made a mistake. Now to place catch up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    524

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #36
    Well, I was trying to save from you from all the villagers with their torch and pitchfork.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member yoba222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    814

    Certifications
    PenTest+, CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    #37
    I remember being an unemployed college student with a mortgage and using a credit card for the first few CompTIA certs & textbooks to get an edge and get my foot in the door.

    I remember taking on debt at one of my first IT jobs that had a good title but terrible pay. I paid for another cert out of pocket that year.

    I'm very grateful now that I can pick and choose an employer and don't have to settle for a cheap one with no training budget. I had to suffer a bit to get there though.
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    334

    Certifications
    CySA+, CWTS, CWS, CWT, Storage+, Sec+, A+, N+, Mobility+, MCP, etc.
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    Well, I was trying to save from you from all the villagers with their torch and pitchfork.
    I guess I should clarify my point as I wasn't "bashing" so much as making an observation about those I've worked with that have benefits, but never see the benefit in using them In my case the employer will pay, but most of our IT staff don't take advantage of that huge benefit to enhance their careers. So, if one has the benefits, and aren't using them, it often is simply due to laziness from what I've seen. Sure, there may be the one or two exceptions that have some extenuating circumstance that keeps them from studying a bit to get a cert or two a year, but mostly they are just lazy, because they don't have to worry about having the cash for books and tests.

    I certainly understand not having the ready cash, especially with a family. Like Yoba222, however, I paid for some basic certs (MCP, MCSE, CompTIA) that I could self-study with used books, and invested in my own career on my credit card, and they did open up doors after a couple years and pay for themselves.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    Well, I was trying to save from you from all the villagers with their torch and pitchfork.
    I don't mind, I screwed up. No denying that. Fortunately I'm early enough in my career and age to fix the problem. It only took me 8 years to realize it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePawofRizzo View Post
    I guess I should clarify my point as I wasn't "bashing" so much as making an observation about those I've worked with that have benefits, but never see the benefit in using them In my case the employer will pay, but most of our IT staff don't take advantage of that huge benefit to enhance their careers. So, if one has the benefits, and aren't using them, it often is simply due to laziness from what I've seen. Sure, there may be the one or two exceptions that have some extenuating circumstance that keeps them from studying a bit to get a cert or two a year, but mostly they are just lazy, because they don't have to worry about having the cash for books and tests.

    I certainly understand not having the ready cash, especially with a family. Like Yoba222, however, I paid for some basic certs (MCP, MCSE, CompTIA) that I could self-study with used books, and invested in my own career on my credit card, and they did open up doors after a couple years and pay for themselves.
    that was exactly the point of my post. The ones that have it available and don't use it are simply nuts in my book, except for the 1-2 rare circumstances you simply can't.

    I'm using the 2k from my employer and I'm adding another 2k on my end and seeing where I can go. I'll have [hopefully] A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ and Cloud+ done for about $2k, and then the remainder I'm thinking about doing CySA+ and/or CAPM. When the fiscal year rolls in September and/or I land myself a new job my plan of attack is certainly going to change. I just discovered (again through this group) wgu.edu and while I was enrolled at a local school to start my master's this fall, I'm really reconsidering it seeing the programs at wgu.edu. Since I work at a school right now (kinda), our Dean is looking at wgu.edu for me and letting me know their academic opinion on the value of it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    334

    Certifications
    CySA+, CWTS, CWS, CWT, Storage+, Sec+, A+, N+, Mobility+, MCP, etc.
    #41
    Another consideration that I've used to save money....at least for the more popular exams....I have a couple large bookstores near me. So if I were studying say for an MCP or Network+ where the bookstore usually has some study books on the shelf, I am not above going to the bookstore and reading the practice tests from the books to at least get some additional practice without buying more books just for practice exams. Usually I read two books to prep, then just take every practice test I can find to validate I'm learning. The negative is that this generally only works for those exams for which the bookstore may sell enough books to consider keeping some on the shelf.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,668

    Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #42
    Nothing is lost, all you need is a good job opportunity and knock out few higher level certs. Don't dwell on the past, but thanks for the reminder not to slack
    Goal: MBA, March 2020
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA-JUNOS
    #43
    Wow. I just signed up for ACM with the link that NetworkNerd provided and I indeed got access to Safari Booka Online. Holy bananas what a crazy crazy deal for 75$. Absolutely insane. And they have some other nice benefits too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member jdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    466

    Certifications
    Cisco CCNA: R&S, Security, CyberOps, CCAI; Linux Foundation: LFCS; CompTIA: A+, N+, S+, L+, P+; Microsoft: MTA, MCP; ITIL: Foundation v3; CIW: DDS
    #44
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Membership to ACM: https://www.acm.org/

    $99 a year and get full access to SafariBooksOnline and SkillSoft. Insane deal!

    Update: 25% off that $99 atm too... https://campus2.acm.org/public/qj/ke...m?promo=DA4SCA

    Just used that link to sign up myself. Was paying $40 a month just for SafariBooksOnline before this!
    Thanks for the discount link.

    Just signed up.

    Good deal!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,096

    Certifications
    GWAPT, GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA, eJPT, Security+
    #45
    I'm going to give some tough love and this is purely constructive criticism and insight...

    You have worked at the SAME low wage non profit job for 8 years. Why did you not send out your resume after gaining 2-3 years of experience and then again in another 2-3 years? (Imagine where you would be if you did just that.) I'll tell you why you didn't, it is because you grew comfortable and complacent with your situation which is the SAME reason why people don't take advantage of their employer's training and education benefits. Really hard not to view your post as a bit hypocritical when you understand that's why and the people you really need to reach with this post aren't on this forum right now just like you weren't the last 8 years.

    The great news is that you already have an IT job with experience to put on a resume, have a couple of certs, a training budget, and recognize you need to do something about your situation. My advice would be to not blow that entire $2k on a bunch of entry level certifications like CompTIA because that is not going to advance your salary that much. Yes, pick up 1-2 more CompTIA certs then move on something more advanced and actually challenge yourself! You also need to start looking at actual job descriptions and be thinking about what your next two moves will be in order to ensure your current professional development aligns with you career goals.

    Best of luck!
    Last edited by iBrokeIT; 03-01-2018 at 04:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by iBrokeIT View Post
    I'm going to give some tough love and this is purely constructive criticism and insight...

    You have worked at the SAME low wage non profit job for 8 years. Why did you not send out your resume after gaining 2-3 years of experience and then again in another 2-3 years? (Imagine where you would be if you did just that.) I'll tell you why you didn't, it is because you grew comfortable and complacent with your situation which is the SAME reason why people don't take advantage of their employer's training and education benefits. Really hard not to view your post as a bit hypocritical when you understand that's why and the people you really need to reach with this post aren't on this forum right now just like you weren't the last 8 years.

    The great news is that you already have an IT job with experience to put on a resume, have a couple of certs, a training budget, and recognize you need to do something about your situation. My advice would be to not blow that entire $2k on a bunch of entry level certifications like CompTIA because that is not going to advance your salary that much. Yes, pick up 1-2 more CompTIA certs then move on something more advanced and actually challenge yourself! You also need to start looking at actual job descriptions and be thinking about what your next two moves will be in order to ensure your current professional development aligns with you career goals.

    Best of luck!
    It's funny you say it like that with certainty because that's not the whole story at all. First of all, I've acknowledged more than once in post my mistakes about not continuing training and certifications and I've got a long road ahead to fix that. I'm working on it. That's why I'm here. I'll bang out these entry level certs to baseline myself and see where I still and then go after the more advanced stuff. However, in the last 8 years I've learned so many invaluable experiences in management, leadership, international business, and more that I would say those experiences alone were worth the price of admission. I've been paid for 8 years to travel to every continent doing various types of IT systems, vendor management, project work, and more. As a result of the locations I've been to, I've experienced the Temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, safaried in Ngoro Ngoro and Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, Great Barrier Reef of Australia, and the waters of the Turks & Caicos too many times to count because that's where we work. Yes, I was paid to work while traveling and seeing these places. I've built a vast international network as a result.

    So yes, while I was taking advantage of this aspect of my job I did become a bit complacent on the technical side of things with training and certifications, but I certainly wouldn't call myself lost and I think timing wise, now is the right to move on. With my son being born last July, a lifestyle change now dictates my future and it's significantly harder for me to disappear for 3 weeks and leave my little one at home with my life. That's just not fair to her. There's no denying my job is extremely low wage for the level of work, I'm 50% below the lowest for my job when I look up similar jobs on Glassdoor. However, it was enough for us to get by for a long time. Now with the baby, not anymore.

    There's a lot to every story, this is part of mine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    113
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Squished View Post
    It's funny you say it like that with certainty because that's not the whole story at all. First of all, I've acknowledged more than once in post my mistakes about not continuing training and certifications and I've got a long road ahead to fix that. I'm working on it. That's why I'm here. I'll bang out these entry level certs to baseline myself and see where I still and then go after the more advanced stuff. However, in the last 8 years I've learned so many invaluable experiences in management, leadership, international business, and more that I would say those experiences alone were worth the price of admission. I've been paid for 8 years to travel to every continent doing various types of IT systems, vendor management, project work, and more. As a result of the locations I've been to, I've experienced the Temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, safaried in Ngoro Ngoro and Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, Great Barrier Reef of Australia, and the waters of the Turks & Caicos too many times to count because that's where we work. Yes, I was paid to work while traveling and seeing these places. I've built a vast international network as a result.

    So yes, while I was taking advantage of this aspect of my job I did become a bit complacent on the technical side of things with training and certifications, but I certainly wouldn't call myself lost and I think timing wise, now is the right to move on. With my son being born last July, a lifestyle change now dictates my future and it's significantly harder for me to disappear for 3 weeks and leave my little one at home with my life. That's just not fair to her. There's no denying my job is extremely low wage for the level of work, I'm 50% below the lowest for my job when I look up similar jobs on Glassdoor. However, it was enough for us to get by for a long time. Now with the baby, not anymore.

    There's a lot to every story, this is part of mine.
    People go to Glassdoor like it's the HR Manager with a verified profile because you see a blue check mark by the name. Shaking My Head

    Glassdoor said hey John Doee, pay me or write a review. You know what I did?










    Of course I didn't pay them. I wrote a review. Took me all of 2 minutes to write something to get the free membership out the way. I just put some stuff in the required boxes and clicked next, next, and next. Was the information correct, you ask? I can neither confirm or deny that. But, what I will say is that I wouldn't believe everything I read online.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    183

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoee View Post
    People go to Glassdoor like it's the HR Manager with a verified profile because you see a blue check mark by the name. Shaking My Head

    Glassdoor said hey John Doee, pay me or write a review. You know what I did?










    Of course I didn't pay them. I wrote a review. Took me all of 2 minutes to write something to get the free membership out the way. I just put some stuff in the required boxes and clicked next, next, and next. Was the information correct, you ask? I can neither confirm or deny that. But, what I will say is that I wouldn't believe everything I read online.
    I'm just using Glassdoor as a point of "official" reference. If I shared my salary you'd probably say 100% underpaid for what I do. hah!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,832

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE Sec, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by N7Valiant View Post
    If you can fit training anywhere into your 60+ hour weekly work activities, then by all means.
    I fit a CCIE into my 60+ hour weekly work activities. Depends how badly you want it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,832

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE Sec, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+
    #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Lab training expensive?

    Microsoft server ISOs are free. Packet tracer is free. I'm sure there are many more examples.

    I'm not buying this. I've never had work pay for my certs. I pay for everything, and I do it on a budget. But guess what? I still do it.
    Guess you've never checked the costs of labbing for the CCIE Data Center or Security. Also, you still need a beefy enough platform to run those VMS and that's not cheap if you want any labs that scale
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks