+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CSAE, CSAP, CASP, MCSA:Cloud, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    Guess you've never checked the costs of labbing for the CCIE Data Center or Security. Also, you still need a beefy enough platform to run those VMS and that's not cheap if you want any labs that scale
    I think he meant entry level labs...

If you're doing the CCIE level labs as your first cert, like the OP is going for, then that's probably a little too enterprising...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE Sec, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertaz View Post
    I think he meant entry level labs...

If you're doing the CCIE level labs as your first cert, like the OP is going for, then that's probably a little too enterprising...
    He didn't specify. I have plenty of folks in my study group going for CCIE directly after X amount of years in the field and with no other certs. Even stepping away from Cisco certs, virtualization, systems, pen testing, etc usually requires some sort of resources (a server, big computer, etc) which it might not be as easy for someone starting out. When I got my first IT gig, I had a second full time securitu guard gig to get money for my educational expenses. That may have worked for someone who's single and younger but not if you're married, have a kid, etc
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL v3, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    He didn't specify. I have plenty of folks in my study group going for CCIE directly after X amount of years in the field and with no other certs. Even stepping away from Cisco certs, virtualization, systems, pen testing, etc usually requires some sort of resources (a server, big computer, etc) which it might not be as easy for someone starting out. When I got my first IT gig, I had a second full time securitu guard gig to get money for my educational expenses. That may have worked for someone who's single and younger but not if you're married, have a kid, etc
    Everything changes when you have a kid. Wow, did I learn that one fast. The first month that $1,300 a month in day care kicks in, ouch.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIA, GCIH, C|EH, PSM I, and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squished View Post
    The first month that $1,300 a month in day care kicks in, ouch.
    I remember! So glad to be out of that phase.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member
    CIO: What if we train them and they leave? CEO: What if we don't train them and they stay?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CSAE, CSAP, CASP, MCSA:Cloud, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    Nope, he didn't. I just understood it to be in the context of the OP's situation. I didn't assume the CCIE was on the OP's radar. But hey, I've been wrong before, and there are 7 more hours in the day for me to be wrong again...

And I completely agree with you on the resources required for advanced certs, since I have a beefy home lab box myself. (16c/32t, 128Gb Ram)

I just can't seem to make myself pull the trigger on 4 of these :

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...tag=slicinc-20
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Squished View Post
    Everything changes when you have a kid. Wow, did I learn that one fast. The first month that $1,300 a month in day care kicks in, ouch.
    Sure I pay more income tax in Quebec, Canada, but I was real happy to pay day care at 7$ CAD/day (about 5$ USD).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by E Double U View Post
    I remember! So glad to be out of that phase.

it's brutal. He's worth it but damn my wallet is light!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    In other news, I signed up for a Master's program at wgu.edu today. Signed up for IT Management, but could switch it to cybersecurity, we'll see. Withdraw my MBA enrollment at the local university. Pretty excited about that, start May 1st. Gives me 2 months to finish Security+ and Network+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks