+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    They're jealous and I've had co-workers try to 'test my knowledge' before

Don't allow them to test your knowledge..be a bit aggressive and say things like "im not your google" or something...just don't let them test you, they're not your boss and they're not in a position to do that - make it clear.
    Goal: MBA, March 2020
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    Love this tweet from today:
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security, MSISA, BSBA
    You know, some people just cant stand to see others rise up. While I didn't have in my face aggro from colleagues at the one bank I worked at for 8 years during the time I started on certs, I did get the dismissiveness whenever certs I was working on came up. I never brought it up, but when asked how I've been, how was my weekend, etc, it would occasionally come up. I ended up knocking out Net+, Sec+ and then the CISSP, which finally helped me accomplish my goal of getting out of there. Everyone complained about their jobs, the company, etc, yet I was the only one doing something to change my situation. I left there in 2013, and nobody else ever made it out of their own accord. Some were eventually RIF'd. One colleague in particular saw it as a waste of time. He ended up being one of the ones RIF'd, and when I saw his FB posting, I immediately offered to help in any way I could. Since he hadn't a single cert, I mentioned he should really think about knocking his CISSP to get his resume past as many filters as possible, and in front of as many hiring managers as possible. He was quite nasty in his response about how he was damned if he was going to pay for an effing piece of paper to prove he knew how to do what he's been doing for years. This was a couple of years back. Last I saw on his FB a few months back he was still unemployed. Basically, focus on yourself and what you can control, forget the haters and people who try to bring you down. As you keep moving up and on to bigger and better things, wave to them in the rear-view mirror.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CPT+, CASP, CSAE, CNSP, CNVP, C|EH, OSCP, Splunk Certified Admin
    Whenever I get aggro, I usually just pull the whole mob in and burn them down with AoE from my +5 certification of pentesting........wait.....this isn't WoW.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA CyberOps, LPIC-1, MS 70-410
    My first job after college:
    The boss there played down my CCNA and Cisco in general (aside Americans) just because he did 1 (one !) wannabe cisco seller cert with around 35 q's 10 years back where he dumped everything. He has no idea what Spanning-Tree is or does know anything else of value. Yes, he holds a degree (Diplom similar to master) in an electrical field but, he forgot everything.
    He tried to mock me daily with my eager-ism to get the LPIC-2 and CCNP Switch...after 4 month I left. Prior I told him the consequences and he was pissed.
    Long story short.
    Life in IT is like a RPG and only the LvL 50 Warrior with vulcan glass mega armor can beat the skeleton king. Let the goblins be goblins, you are the one who rescues the virgin lady.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    OSCP, CEH, eJPT, CompTIA CSA+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+
    I have a split opinion on the matter. I've been heckled before because I tend to always be working on a certification and racked quite a few up over the years. The truth is though, not a single certification was wasted. I feel each one gave me something that helped me move to the next level in my career. Since I do them out of focus on my career, I tend to work on certifications that involve something I am passionate about. I never do just the minimum.

The flip side is that people often use certifications to chase money and end up skirting around the edges of barely passing or worse yet, cheating. I have lost count of the times that I have worked with another engineer or consultant who was certified out the wazoo but had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Certification alone does not replace experience nor does it automatically infer that you have in-depth knowledge about a specific topic.

Personally, I look at the overall package before I judge someone. A very junior person who is certified at a higher level but fails to perform their job function at their level - I will second guess. A junior engineer who is certified at a higher level but goes out of their way to provide clients with that extra mile and always seems to be curious about things - will get nothing but praise.
    2018 Certification Goals: OSCE
    Blog: https://hackfox.net
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSD (Web), MCSA (SQL Server 2012/14/16), AWS Architect (Assoc.)
    I'm very careful to only tell my immediate manager and the people approving my expense claim for the exam about my certifications, so far they've had the good sense not to make any announcements.

I do hear some anti-certification comments from my co-workers, but try to ignore them. Some colleagues seem to think that everyone cheats in exams, which I can't help feeling says more about them than about me. Some claim that the exams are just memorisation tests, but even that claim doesn't stand-up, because some of the better Microsoft exams are a bit like IQ tests.

My employer encourages staff to get certifications, and mine have been used to support bids to win new work. I mainly do certifications because it's a way to force myself to learn new things, and some of the things I learn do get used to make me more productive in the office, so I'm going to carry on very quietly gaining certifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, Sanity+ (Revoked), GSEC, GCIH, GREM
    Quote Originally Posted by Info_Sec_Wannabe View Post
    Same as you, I don't talk about it and only let my immediate manager and finance team know so they can process the reimbursement of the exam fee (and a couple of colleagues, but only if they ask).
    I don't hide it, I have my plaques proudly displayed on my cube wall. I broke my ass to get some of these certs, it's nothing I'm embarrassed by, but I may have a different personality than you. I wouldn't let anyone talk trash to me about my certs and how worthless they are.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, and CASP; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    Since I am an instructor, I am "encouraged" to place my certifications in the signature block for email. Outside of that, I don't normally broadcast wins and losses. At least not much.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Look Ma! No Certs!
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
    I don't hide it, I have my plaques proudly displayed on my cube wall. I broke my ass to get some of these certs, it's nothing I'm embarrassed by, but I may have a different personality than you. I wouldn't let anyone talk trash to me about my certs and how worthless they are.
    Only if I had a cubicle to place my certification plaques or else I wouldn't be dealing with these open concept offices . Unassigned seating in an open concept office is the worst.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    My employer encourages staff to get certifications, and mine have been used to support bids to win new work. I mainly do certifications because it's a way to force myself to learn new things, and some of the things I learn do get used to make me more productive in the office, so I'm going to carry on very quietly gaining certifications.
    Same here, but everyone know in my office that I did many certification. I let them know that it helped me grow in the company, and it helped us gain new interesting contract that I did have to do myself. I am proud of them but I just dont act like bully about my certification lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I prefer to see people chasing certifications so I put mine in my email signature to encourage them that it's okay to be public with it. I'd step hard on anyone that works for me that was disdainful about studying or bettering oneself.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Kinda sucks that your manager broadcasted your achievement to everyone.
    I don't see it as a bad thing, he's recognizing you for all your hard work. Also he may have been trying to motivate others to do the same. Where I work, the company spent 250k to train engineers to get cyber security certifications, but after spending all that money only one engineer obtained a GSEC certification. I can see why they are more reluctant to spent money on training now, they cut way back on the training budget. Unfortunately any future training for me will be on my own dime, none of the limited "approved" training interests me, but I'm willing to invest in myself.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 08-09-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    You know, some people just cant stand to see others rise up. While I didn't have in my face aggro from colleagues at the one bank I worked at for 8 years during the time I started on certs, I did get the dismissiveness whenever certs I was working on came up.
    I wager if you took a survey of 10 people with certs and 10 people without certs, 9 of people with certs would have better jobs/still be employed ten years later. The certification-less, one might get lucky and get a better job, most would still be at the same position and some would be unemployed.

You can say what you want about certifications, they are a waste of time, just a piece of paper, money making machine for Certification vendors. Like it or not, people who earned there certifications get better jobs, more money, more job security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Had this problem before, get new coworkers!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I suspect that one person without the cert who still did well would have that curious and engaged attitude. They probably just have four kids or an elderly parent they're taking care of and while they can't set aside the time to pass an exam, they do what they can to stay up.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    Where I work, the company spent 250k to train engineers to get cyber security certifications, but after spending all that money only one engineer obtained a GSEC certification.
    And I would bet it is you ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    And I would bet it is you ?
    Nope, I'm Cyber Security Operations, not an engineer. My department is only marginally better, only three people have security certifications, each person in the department on average having attended two SANS classes, that's roughly 330k in SANS training to yield 5 certifications total. I have the most.

We did have a guy who had 6 SANS Certs and a CISSP, but he recent left to become a VP at another company.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 08-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security, MSISA, BSBA
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
    Nope, I'm Cyber Security Operations, not an engineer. My department is only marginally better, only three people have security certifications, each person in the department on average having attended two SANS classes, that's roughly 330k in SANS training to yield 5 certifications total. I have the most.

We did have a guy who had 6 SANS Certs and a CISSP, but he recent left to become a VP at another company.
    That's just effing mind boggling. I bet if your company had a policy of if you don't pass the cert you pay, people would either not sign up or would put in the effort. Kind of like what Iris said in the infamous H1B thread, people using training like a vacation. It's sad really. I got my SANS Work Study paid for by my employer at the time and I put forth all the effort to study for and pass the exams. During the courses outside of my facilitator duties, I also paid attention every minute of class. Man I would love to have a company willing to pay for SANS training.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PRINCE2, CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    LOL seriously, I wish I could find an employer that throws out training like a dying eccentric tossing away his fortune. I would be so on that to the point I would probably get fired for abusing it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT; CCNA Cyber Ops; Network+, Security+, Server+, CySA+; Infoblox
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameNoob View Post
    Anyone else ever experience this? Every other hour, I hear a sentence phrased like this: "Well im not <cert> certified but I would do this" or randomly out of the blue a person will come up to me and give reasons why they are not certified. I don't even bring it up at all (Put in for a company reimbursement upon pass and Boss sent an email to the 15+ people on the team) but all my coworkers constantly remind me. They also think i'm now available at anytime for their trivia quiz questions so I can prove my knowledge to them and If I miss i'm a fraud. These guys have been in the same position for 3-5 years, complain about their pay day after day and yet don't make an effort to try to learn something new. /rant
    It's not just certifications. It's degrees, too. Any attempts to better yourself and to advance your career will be met with derision and some level of jealousy by people around you who are too afraid or too lazy to do what you are doing, especially if you're doing things the right way.

My advice...

tim-not-giving-a-****.jpg

...with apologies to Mark Manson for borrowing that image from his blog.

You should probably read the article in question, too. It's good advice for life, generally.

Your career - and your life - is yours and yours alone.
    Q2 '18 Certification Goals: ICND2; JNCIA-{Junos, Cloud}; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE; AWS SysOps Administrator Associate
    2018-2020 Learning Goals: Math (Idaho, Iowa, VCU), CS/EE (Idaho, VCU, Oregon State)
    To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light, or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, Teradata Database Certified Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.s.andrei View Post
    It's not just certifications. It's degrees, too. Any attempts to better yourself and to advance your career will be met with derision and some level of jealousy by people around you who are too afraid or too lazy to do what you are doing, especially if you're doing things the right way.

My advice...

Attachment 8901

...with apologies to Mark Manson for borrowing that image from his blog.

You should probably read the article in question, too. It's good advice for life, generally.

Your career - and your life - is yours and yours alone.
    Interesting....

I've not seen aggro over degrees, ever..... I mean ever. Normally organizations will announce the individual graduated from N university, assuming it's viewed as being top notch. Usually the middle tiered and on line universities don't get much hype or celebration. Local Universities seems to be exempt they mention those as well.

Certs on the other hand I have seen folks get REALLY grumpy about. One is more accepted it seems.......
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+, A+, CCENT
    get another one
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks