+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    #1

    Default O'Reilly school technology

    Has anyone look into these certificates? Are they worth considering?

    What's your thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Senior Member darkerosxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,336
    #2
    Looks pretty cool, imo! Can't wait to see what people think that have taken the courses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    #3
    I'm thinking this looks pretty valuable considering you get your certificate from the University.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member jryantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    557

    Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    #4
    How new is this?

    I'm actually interested in the .NET development...

    O'Reilly books are good but from my experience most of them are very text based almost like a Novel, so they tend to be boring
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    #5
    I am not sure. I stumbled across it researching on types of certificates that do not expire.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member jryantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    557

    Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by niter3
    I am not sure. I stumbled across it researching on types of certificates that do not expire.
    I don't understand how a certification that deals with Technology can not expire...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #7
    It just loses value as the technology becomes obsolete. Everyone who got an NT4 MCSE is still one. I'll be a 2003 MCSE in a decade. Whether they expire or not really doesn't make a difference.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member jryantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    557

    Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik
    It just loses value as the technology becomes obsolete.
    I agree here.

    Maybe some certifications do not expire but they lose value.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,742
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    PenTest+, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, CASP, CEH (revoked), CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, MSIT InfoSec
    #9
    Note that these are certificates of course completion, not IT certifications. Many college extension programs offer certificates to indicate that you have completed a specific sequence of classes in one of their programs. The O'Reilly book publisher is the extension course provider for the University of Illinois.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member jryantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    557

    Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray
    Note that these are certificates of course completion, not IT certifications. Many college extension programs offer certificates to indicate that you have completed a specific sequence of classes in one of their programs. The O'Reilly book publisher is the extension course provider for the University of Illinois.
    Yes this is true, but if you have $1,000 to add a notable name to your professional development section in your resume why not?

    Plus you could probably learn quite a bit.

    I just would like to find more information on this... doesn't seem to be much on the web.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #11
    Does O'Reilly's notable name mean anything to HR? Most HR personnel can't tell the difference between an MCSA and an MCSE.

    That's a honest question. Just something to think about...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member jryantech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    557

    Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik
    Does O'Reilly's notable name mean anything to HR? Most HR personnel can't tell the difference between an MCSA and an MCSE.

    That's a honest question. Just something to think about...
    True very. My point is its just another item underneath your professional development and it can teach you something.

    Because well you can't put that you read a O'Reilly book under Education
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,742
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    PenTest+, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, CASP, CEH (revoked), CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, MSIT InfoSec
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jryantech
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray
    Note that these are certificates of course completion, not IT certifications. Many college extension programs offer certificates to indicate that you have completed a specific sequence of classes in one of their programs. The O'Reilly book publisher is the extension course provider for the University of Illinois.
    Yes this is true, but if you have $1,000 to add a notable name to your professional development section in your resume why not?

    Plus you could probably learn quite a bit.
    You will take your career much farther if you spend that $1000 researching and writing a book for O'Reilly than getting a certificate with the O'Reilly name on it. You'd be surprised at how much of a subject authority O'Reilly books authors are considered to be. And in writing a book you will learn much more than by only taking a few classes.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks