+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    A+ Network+

Default Favorite place to buy books?

What's your favorite place to purchase books from? I used to like buying from Amazon because they also double as a sell everything e-retailer. I was fairly happy with them until I ordered text books from them. They held a book while they were waiting for a different out of stock book, so to make a long story short I didn't like that they were taking so long.

So I tried Buy.com and ordered my CCNA book. I used free shipping since I wasn't in a hurry to receive it. It ended up being poorly packaged. It wasn't wrapped in plastic or anything so one of the corners got bent up a bit.

So, where do you guys have the best experiences with shipping, prices and retailer trustworthiness?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    somewhat
    I use Best Bargain Books @ Ebay whenever possible. I've gotten an insane amount of books from them and they've been extremely to reasonably well on the condition. As far as the pricing in concerned, I've bought books which cost most to ship than the book cost.

http://<br /> http://search.stores....rsrtZdQQsofpZ0

Otherwise whichever has the best price, Amazon, Ebay, Barnes and Nobles... Depends on what I need, how fast I want it, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    I use amazon and have been happy with all of my purchases.

I have ordered from Cisco Press before also which also had great service.

Sorry, not much help I know.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    I'm an Amazon Prime member; the free two-day shipping is fantastic. I get books, movies, music, games, etc. from there. If you think about how much time and money (gas, etc.) you spend out and about on trivial errands each year, the $80 or whatever per year seems like nothing, and it's very rare that I can't wait two days for something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. nel

Certifications
    A+ , Network+, MCSA 2003, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA-JunOS, JNCIS-ENT, Bsc(hons) & Msc Degree
    amazon. Great for most things really
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Stop,Collaborate + Listen LarryDaMan's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, PMP, FITSP-M, Security+, Network+, A+, (expired: CCNA, CCENT)
    Amazon mostly, but I've been known to do the unthinkable and go to an actual brick-and-mortar Barnes and Nobles near my job from time to time...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, ACSP, ACTC, SQL Certified, Phillips/GE Emergin System Administrator
    Amazon. Love the free shipping. Especially since I live in Alaska.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Censorship is Un-American JockVSJock's Avatar

Certifications
    M.S. in MIS/MBA, Network+, A+, Linux+, Security+, C|EH, RHCSA
    half.com, part of ebay.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003/2008/2012/2016, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    I mostly go through Amazon, since I've found that they usully carry the books I want. I find deals wherever I can get them, of course, saving money is a good thing. Rarely, do I buy books out of bookstores. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't go down to Borders, buy a cup of coffee, and peruse the computer section until I find something I want. . . then promptly write down the title and ISBN number and go off to find it on Amazon.

Of course, the fact that the barista(s) at my local Border's cafe are hot, has nothing to do with it. One, in particular. . .

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    PenTest+, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, CASP, CEH (revoked), CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, MSIT InfoSec
    My favorite book search service is www.addall.com. It usually directs me to a seller on amazon.com.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    MCP (70-290, 70-291, 70-293), Working on 70-270
    I usually pick up books from Amazon also. A buddy of mine tipped me off to www.bookpool.com , I have yet to get any books from them, but the prices seem pretty good. If anyone has purchased books from them, how was your experience?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    I use http://www.cheapestbookprice.com for my textbooks for college, have not tried them for tech books, but i suppose they would work the same. They compare all the major online bookstores. You can search by title and ISBN #'s i think.

win2k4
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    amazon.ca

Never had a problem with them. Even had a book that didn't show up, so I sent an email and they resent another book to me that day. (the original book did eventually show up)

I have bought probably $1000+ worth of books and movies through them and will continue to do so.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+; Net+; Sec+; ITIL; CCNA; CCNA:Security;CISSP
    amazon.com and bookpool.com for me. Usually I'll find a good price for books between the two sites. I favor Amazon for the shipping, since I'm in Las Vegas and most books are coming from up north (in reno) or out west (Los Angeles) so I usually get the free ground shipping by ordering more than $25 an order. BUT, I have found that bookpool will have some books $10-20 cheaper than Amazon. They also have a free shipping order, but they ship via media bulk mail which has taken 2-3 weeks both times I've tried. So I just end up paying for priority delivery since the $4-5 for priority is still less than what I'm saving over an Amazon order. All you on the east coast may have better luck with the media mail option. Anyone ever try it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VPS, MCDST (70-271)
    Barnes and Nobles... I like the actually feel of a book store.

If they don't have what I'm looking for I go to Amazon.
    I can normally get it from Amazon quicker by ordering.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    I have a Barnes and Nobles and a Borders right by my house maybe a mile from each other. The Borders has a MUCH larger selection of technical books than the Barnes and Nobles so I go there if I want to buy a book in person.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    I'm going to go against the grain also, and say Borders/Barnes and Noble. I have a Borders maybe 4-5 miles away, that I usually make the trip to. It usually starts with me being bored, and wanting new material, and once I'm there, I will surely leave with a new technical book...but amazon is what I use when it's not so much an impulse buy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    I usually stop at Borders after I drop off my son at school because I have about an hour before I have to be at work. Going to the book store is an expensive hobby. At least when you like reading technical books....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Mac Integration 10.13, Wireless#, CWTS
    Ok I'll be different, and say I use nerdbooks.com. I have had great service with them, they are usually cheaper than Amazon, etc even when you figure in the shipping.

I have a friend who uses bookpool and swears by them as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE 4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjr13
    I usually pick up books from Amazon also. A buddy of mine tipped me off to www.bookpool.com , I have yet to get any books from them, but the prices seem pretty good. If anyone has purchased books from them, how was your experience?
    I have used bookpool.com since early 2000. I usually wait until I have 3-4 books I want to buy and compare the prices to amazon. I saved 25 bucks the last 3 book I ordered. I did the super saving shipping, which was 7-9 days but the books arrived in 3!!

I also go to Borders or B&N just to look at the book before buying. I just get a cup of java and thumb though the ones I'm intersted in.

I have returned books before with no issue.

So I will continue to buy from them. Once I'm done with the book, I place it on craigslist at half price.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    I generally use B&N or Borders for browsing and Amazon for buying. Assuming that I can't find what I am looking for at the library, or I consider it a must have. I prefer browsing at B&N because the stores generally feel like they encourage more of a kick back and read atmosphere than the Borders stores. At least around here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Inc

Certifications
    Mg.sc.ing in CS, CCNA
    Amazon and Ciscopress
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,S+,MCSA:S & MCSE:S 2k3,MCITP:SA/EA, CCNA:Security/RS/DC,CCNP DC, CCIE RS 51060
    Amazon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    Amazon for me too. They are a great price even for me ordering from England (I am in Australia). Much cheaper for me to order from England then from here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    C|EH, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003-2008-2012, MCP, MCTS, MS 74-409, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, CCNP
    Amazon.
    Occasionally I go to Chapters and look at books and If I think I want to buy it, I look it up on Amazon with my cellphone and factor in shipping and see if it is still cheaper.
    Books bought from Chapters = 0
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks