+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    I didn't get a chance to see your resume before you took it down. Honestly, though, it's not hard to find some help with resume-writing. You can even pick up a decent piece of software for cheap.

The only recommendation I can give you, as a green card holder myself, is to leave it off your resume. There's absolutely no reason to mention it upfront unless special circumstances call for it. Bring the physical card to the HR director when you're hired or if asked to show it beforehand, but there's no need to advertise yourself as a non-citizen. It's not a fun thing, but many Americans are sensitive about immigration issues. I've been in workplaces where I've encountered "static" from coworkers and management, even as a legal alien.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A few.
    I would say, try to be as positive and energetic as possible. I've gone thru several different contracts (IT and non-IT), but finally landed a steady job with a small company in Seattle. I took a peek at my competition, and out of about 100 people chosen, I was picked because of my attitude. I only have a few minor certs, and no college experience. I was up against people with Masters, Bachelors, MCSE's, MCSA's, and much more. I was as honest as possible, and told my boss that education was key. I'm hoping to jump back to community college once I scrape up the money. With smaller companies, you get the chance to try different roles and play around with a little bit of everything. It helps to discover what niche you fit into....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks