+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    I like to know what I'm getting into with a certification vendor, and that I can trust them to uphold the statements made before I handed over my money. Whether the change is "no big deal" and that there are multiple options to re-certify isn't really the issue.
    Slowhand it is the new guy I tell you. That is why they brought him in with that bogus story about Venator (sp) wanting an early retirement after him saying he expected to be there for quite a while longer. First you get rid of the old Don and then you bring in the new guy.

"Roco I don't want anything to happen to my brother as long as my mother is alive".
    "Yes Godfather"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. Since Security + requires people to get 50 points to maintain it and the other 2 are 30 and less. There would be some overlap.
    Okay, that would be cool. I can just renew my Security+ and it covers everything else. Cool!

The only plus I see in this whole thing is that CompTIA certs might get a better reputation.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP; MCTS x2; MCDST; CWNA; CWTS; PRINCE2 Prac; ITILv3F; BlackBerry Cert'd Sys Adm; A+; Net+
    I think I'd sooner spend my hard earned cash and study time on doing new stuff, like CCENT, CCNA and so on. If CompTIA want to put people off taking their exams in future, then I think this is a great way to do it.
    Last edited by GiddyG; 01-13-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Legend in my own mind Cherper's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNP Voice, CCNP Security, SolarWinds Certified Professional, NetAnalyst Cross-Technology, NetAnaly
    For all the good my CompTIA certs have done, I won't bother renewing them. Moved well beyond them.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, MCDST, MCP, HDI/HDA, HDI/CSS
    Very disappointing. I work constantly to keep up to date, and I use these methods on which I am certified on a daily basis. Now to get these affirmations that CompTIA wants, it will cost more money. It's not happening at my house. I am finished with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, CISSP, GIAC G2700, CEH, CHFI, Security+, CCENT, N+, A+
    I can see them maybe doing this to address the Government requirements for IT certs and CompTIA's issue of never having to renew. I remember my last job telling us that the way it was written it would seem to suggest that you had to retake the Security+ because the Government was looking at the date taken and going three years from that. So to maintain compliance you would have to recertify to get another three years.

If this is the case I think its a decent idea. Otherwise the continuing education does not seem like that big of a deal to me to be honest. I think they are trying to establish a career certification route rather than being labeled a "newbie test and forget" certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I can see them maybe doing this to address the Government requirements for IT certs and CompTIA's issue of never having to renew. I remember my last job telling us that the way it was written it would seem to suggest that you had to retake the Security+ because the Government was looking at the date taken and going three years from that. So to maintain compliance you would have to recertify to get another three years.

If this is the case I think its a decent idea. Otherwise the continuing education does not seem like that big of a deal to me to be honest. I think they are trying to establish a career certification route rather than being labeled a "newbie test and forget" certification.
    It also provides value for the certification holder, it tells the employer that this person is staying up/has to stay up with the technology he is being certified in. Overall I don't think it is a bad thing. I am going to be calling CompTIA to make sure I understand how this whole continuing educational credits thing works. I will post what I find out.

They also have to do this to keep in compliance:

The renewal policy also is required for these three certifications to maintain their accreditation and compliance with internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024). CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications earned the ISO 17024 accreditation from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 2008. ISO requires that individuals have a way to renew the currency of their certification on a regular basis. In CompTIA’s case, renewal will occur every three years.
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 01-13-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Slowhand it is the new guy I tell you. That is why they brought him in with that bogus story about Venator (sp) wanting an early retirement after him saying he expected to be there for quite a while longer. First you get rid of the old Don and then you bring in the new guy.

"Roco I don't want anything to happen to my brother as long as my mother is alive".
    "Yes Godfather"
    I don't doubt that's the case, not one bit. Still, you have to figure that it's a pretty low-blow for CompTIA to demand that their current cert-holders begin renewing after being told the certs were good for a lifetime, when even Microsoft isn't screwing old MCSE's and MCPD's out of having their certs on transcript forever even after a big shakeup in certification-policy.

I don't know which is worse: feeling like I've been duped because my former lifetime-certs are now having to be renewed, or that I've been going around defending CompTIA for all these years by telling people that the price of the exams is offset by reputation and the lack of an expiration date.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications

Default My conversation with CompTIA

Just got off the phone with CompTIA, and was told that you don't have to do a yearly $50 fee. You will only have to pay the year you renew it which makes it less than $17 a year to keep your CompTIA certifications renewed. What really caught my attention is when she told me you could use work experience, and college classes as continuing education credits. For me none of this seem ridiculous. My Security+ covers my Network+ so I am not to worried about the cost. I was told we should all be receiving e-mails tomorrow explaining more about all of this.
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 01-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP; MCTS x2; MCDST; CWNA; CWTS; PRINCE2 Prac; ITILv3F; BlackBerry Cert'd Sys Adm; A+; Net+
    I suppose it's different for those of us who have to have the likes of Sec+ or Net+ for your jobs; however, for me I took A+ and Net+ (and I was considering Sec+ too) to both test my knowledge and learn a little more about the topics covered. The added incentive for taking what were (and still are) expensive exams when compared to Cisco and MS was the fact that they were designated as 'for life'. I feel somewhat cheated that CompTIA have now moved the goalposts. I'm 46 and I've held them for 2 to 3 years. I was hoping to live another 30 at least (don't drink, don't smoke). Think they'll give me a refund of 27/30ths of the cost price?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    So.. if I get my Security+ does this renew my less CompTIA certs (Net+/A+)?

And work experience may be the route I look into for renewal then.

The cost of CompTIA certs vs the reward is just not there. Just going to plug away at my Cisco certs and hopefully outgrow my CompTIA certs by the time they expire.

I earned my A+ in 2007 and my Net+ in 2008, so according to the chart listed here: Renewal Policy FAQs I have until Dec 31, 2011 until my A+ expires, and Dec 31 2012 until my Net+ expires. So between then, I need to either earn credits.. or take my Sec+?

A bit confused on how Sec+ renews both Net+ and A+. Is it like Cisco, where by passing a higher lvl cert, it renews less certs?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by RouteThisWay View Post
    A bit confused on how Sec+ renews both Net+ and A+. Is it like Cisco, where by passing a higher lvl cert, it renews less certs?
    That seems to be exactly the idea. Anything other than Network+, Security+, and A+ does not expire. If you go and take your Security+ this year it would renew all your CompTIA certifications for another three years the way I interpret it. I am sure we will understand better when we get the e-mail from them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    That seems to be exactly the idea. Anything other than Network+, Security+, and A+ does not expire. If you go and take your Security+ this year it would renew all your CompTIA certifications for another three years the way I interpret it. I am sure we will understand better when we get the e-mail from them.
    Might be a good enough motivation to go get my Sec+ before my certs start expiring at the end of next year
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    yearly maintenance fees?

I retract my previous statement.

No ENTRY LEVEL certifiation is worth jumping through these hoops.

Here's hoping CompTIA goes bankrupt and shuts down.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    yearly maintenance fees?

Dude, did you read my earlier post? Every three years...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Ancient Relic.......

Certifications
    Security+, A+, Network+, MCDST, DCSE, CST, CNST
    So what if I got my A+ when the exam was still adaptive format? My certificate doesn't have an expiration or valid through date. Same with Net+. I have zero intention of retaking either of them.... As far as I'm concerned, this should only affect those who earn the certs forward from here. According to them, I need to pony up X $ to say I'm current? I call B.S. They can say whatever they want, I'm A+ and Net+ now and forever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member
    yearly maintenance fees?

I agree, I just don't get how people can say it will help its value. These certs are your first stepping stone that helps get your foot in the door. It is not like you get your A+ or Network+ and your done with certs and will continue to move up the ladder. Your always working on higher level certs and the higher you go the less and less CompTIA certs matter. If a tech decides to get their A+ and network+ and then does not want to work on gaining higher level certs then that person will not be IT for long. To me there is no reason to update certs like A+ and Network + when your are staying current by working in IT and on higher level certs. CompTIA certs are great for building a basic knowledge, but why would you want to recertify with compTIA every 3 years when it is basic knowledge and you should be above it. The people who like this sounds to me like the ones who love to study and take certs.
    Last edited by white96gt; 01-13-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by white96gt View Post
    I agree, I just don't get how people can say it will help its value. These certs are your first stepping stone that helps get your foot in the door. It is not like you get your A+ or Network+ and your done with certs and will continue to move up the ladder. Your always working on higher level certs and the higher you go the less and less CompTIA certs matter. If a tech decides to get their A+ and network+ and then does not want to work on gaining higher level certs then that person will not be IT for long. To me there is no reason to update certs like A+ and Network + when your are staying current by working in IT and on higher level certs. CompTIA certs are great for building a basic knowledge, but why would you want to recertify with compTIA every 3 years when it is basic knowledge and you should be above it.
    +1
    Most of the people I know who have higher level certs don't even mention CompTIA on their resume...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA: R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:Vo, CCNA:W, CWTS, CWNA
    yearly maintenance fees?

I'm done with them. I thought about going for another CompTIA cert but now I refuse. I now officially hate CompTIA. Their website is down and it took them 4 months to get my certificates and now they pull this crap on me.

They are liars. The ONLY reason I spent the money on these ridiculously priced certifications is because they don't expire....and now they do. I feel like a fool.
    Last edited by Norbie; 01-13-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    What is the need to renew? All you are doing is reaffirming that you possess skills at entry level. That is the level of all CompTIA certs. Get something at the level at which you work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA: R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:Vo, CCNA:W, CWTS, CWNA
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    That seems to be exactly the idea. Anything other than Network+, Security+, and A+ does not expire.
    I have the feeling that eventually they will do this for all CompTIA tests.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    I have the feeling that eventually they will do this for all CompTIA tests.
    I think it's a given. They never came up with an advanced Systems Admin certification as they once considered, but they are staying at entry level certifications, and no matter, it will make them money some way, otherwise they would not be doing it.

It's the same old truth of any business, and CompTIA being a business, their loyalty will only go as far the $bottom $line will permit, and they will suck another dollar out of you.

I can only imagine now, all of the sites that will show up on the Internet, offering CEU's to keep CompTIA certification current, and I doubt that CompTIA will accept them unless they have payed for some sort of qualification certification, or not even new sites, but already online vendors cashing in on the newly created well of potential cash inflow. Well, that is my own imagination, but it's not that far-fetched.
    Last edited by janmike; 01-13-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member

Certifications
    PDI+ Network+

Default Comptia

Its crap lifetime means lifetime period!

Its all about making more money in fee's

I would have to retake my N003 exam for what?

wireless N, you can keep it
    I will save my money I already have a IT job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member
    Are these changes retroactive or only for people who have obtained a cert after January 1st?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+, MCP (270,290,291), MCSA, MCSA: Security, MCITP:SA, CIW Professional, BS IT, MSIA
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Are these changes retroactive or only for people who have obtained a cert after January 1st?
    I was going to ask the same thing. I dont see myself renewing my comptia certs
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks