+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678
Results 176 to 200 of 200
  1. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,162

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+,Project+,MCSE, CCNA:S, CISSP, CCNP, CEH, GCED
    #176
    This is great news. I think it goes to show that they (CompTIA) do listen to the community. I still think they should adopt a plan to add a mid-level certification program into their future.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,652

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #177
    Quote Originally Posted by securageek View Post
    Looks like Ars Technica carries more weight than I thought they did. Very interesting...
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. ROFL-Copter pilot snadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,235

    Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    #178
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    Looks like Ars Technica carries more weight than I thought they did. Very interesting...

    and its also on CompTIAs official blog

    I am happy that made this decision.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #179
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    Can we all just quit fighting about this now?
    Of course we can. Tomorrow's a new day, and there'll always be something else to fight about.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #180
    On a more serious note, though. Aside from the short notice and the attempt to make existing cert-holders start renewing, I think it's a good move for CompTIA to make this change, requiring a cert to be up to date adds to its value in the long-run. CompTIA exams will still be a stepping-stone for newbies and low-level IT folks, and anyone not wanting to commit to updating their entry-level certs on a regular basis now has plenty of forewarning and can make an educated decision on what cert they want to pursue.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member securageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    #181

    Smile CompTIA

    Yes, I'm glad that the protesting worked against CompTIA's decisions on LIFE certifications.

    I don't have the certifications yet, and even I wasn't happy about it.

    Like I said before, I'm going to work smart and try to get the CompTIA A+, Network+, and hopefully Security+ by the end of this year. I know it's a lot of work and study, but I'm willing to go for it to earn the LIFE certifications.

    It's not a requirement from my employer, but it's something I would like to have as part of my credentials while I further in my career as an I.T. Security Professional. My career goal, Chief Information Security Officer.

    Has anyone taken the CompTIA Training DVD courses from TrainSignal before? Because I'm looking into doing that to prepare for the certification exam and it looks really good. I have my own security lab set up at my home office with hardware and virtual machines for the hands-on part. Will these DVDs help me prepare for the exam when it comes time for me to take them?

    Thanks in advanced.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    253

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, EnCE, ISFCE CCE, MCSA Server 2003, 70-620, 70-640
    #182
    I really can't understand the outrage here. Both of my computer forensic certifications require re-certification every two or three years. Re-certification requires 30 - 40 hours of instructor led training, a fee, and sometimes an exam. This only seems natural as it ensures individuals holding the certification are current with today's technologies.

    If anything, this might boost the credibility of the certification.

    EDIT: I do get the anger from those who are all ready certified, because a re-certification process should be disclosed before someone gets a certification, not after. However, I still believe this is a great move by CompTIA. Maybe this will force them to update their exams more often and get rid of the questions on archaic technology.
    Last edited by Everlife; 02-08-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    392

    Certifications
    GSEC MCNE CDE CNE CNA NCA CLDA Linux+ A+ N+ P+ ACHD, Security+
    #183
    The outrage is because these are entry-level certifications and advertised for many years as life-time. They filled a need.

    The IT industry needs a one-time exam to be used for entry-level IT professionals.

    As a song said "Don't Look Back". Don't go back and retake entry level stuff.

    A person can use these one-time certs exams to show basic knowledge of a subject or use them for professional growth requirements at their job. They are expensive exams and maybe one can only take one exam every year or every two years.

    The stepping stones with Comptia certs would follow, an IT professional can start with A+, then N+, Security+, Linux+ and have a good basic overall knowledge of the subjects.
    These certs will not make any one an expert but give one a good start.

    As a person decides what career track to take it might be Security, System Administration, etc.... So, that person may desire or be required to obtain more advanced certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft, LPI, CISSP, etc....

    In addition to obtaining these more advanced certifications a person may also gain a higher paying job with more responsibilities.

    Since certifications is not the end-all, an IT person will constantly be learning this new position which will be more challenging, require more higher skills, etc...

    So how would be possible for an experienced person in a challenging position and higher demanding job, keep up with new technology changes, keep up their certifications in their advanced specialities and keep all certifications active including the entry-level ones.

    I say it is impossible. There has to be life outside of work and also outside of certification studies.

    What will happen is IT professionals will keep their Cisco, CISSP, etc... going, but drop all of their Comptia certifications. I can't see most IT professionals keeping their Comptia IT certifications with this new model longer than 3 to 5 years.

    An experienced person probably would not want to put these entry-level expired certs on their resumes, but it is nice to have in case one is asked what studies or education you've done in the past 10 years, etc....

    I'm not sure why Comptia is thinking that they need to rise to the level of other certifications. They need to stay in their current role and strive to keep doing a better job at that role which is entry-level certifications. One time exams which are good for life.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,597
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    #184
    CompTIA's new renewal policy specifies that the reason for the expiration/renewal for A+, Network+ and Security+ is so these certs conform to ISO/IEC 17024, which is a requirement of DoD 8570.01-M. Anyone who needs A+, N+ or S+ to stay compliant with 8570.01 will still need to renew these cert regardless if they got them before 1/1/2011 or not.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    253

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, EnCE, ISFCE CCE, MCSA Server 2003, 70-620, 70-640
    #185
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs62 View Post
    The outrage is because these are entry-level certifications and advertised for many years as life-time. They filled a need.

    The IT industry needs a one-time exam to be used for entry-level IT professionals.

    As a song said "Don't Look Back". Don't go back and retake entry level stuff.

    A person can use these one-time certs exams to show basic knowledge of a subject or use them for professional growth requirements at their job. They are expensive exams and maybe one can only take one exam every year or every two years.

    The stepping stones with Comptia certs would follow, an IT professional can start with A+, then N+, Security+, Linux+ and have a good basic overall knowledge of the subjects.
    These certs will not make any one an expert but give one a good start.

    As a person decides what career track to take it might be Security, System Administration, etc.... So, that person may desire or be required to obtain more advanced certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft, LPI, CISSP, etc....

    In addition to obtaining these more advanced certifications a person may also gain a higher paying job with more responsibilities.

    Since certifications is not the end-all, an IT person will constantly be learning this new position which will be more challenging, require more higher skills, etc...

    So how would be possible for an experienced person in a challenging position and higher demanding job, keep up with new technology changes, keep up their certifications in their advanced specialities and keep all certifications active including the entry-level ones.

    I say it is impossible. There has to be life outside of work and also outside of certification studies.

    What will happen is IT professionals will keep their Cisco, CISSP, etc... going, but drop all of their Comptia certifications. I can't see most IT professionals keeping their Comptia IT certifications with this new model longer than 3 to 5 years.

    An experienced person probably would not want to put these entry-level expired certs on their resumes, but it is nice to have in case one is asked what studies or education you've done in the past 10 years, etc....

    I'm not sure why Comptia is thinking that they need to rise to the level of other certifications. They need to stay in their current role and strive to keep doing a better job at that role which is entry-level certifications. One time exams which are good for life.
    You make some great points twodogs. I especially liked your point that many people with advanced level certs would simply let the CompTIA certifications expire. I'm sure CompTIA has thought about that, and I'd be interested in hearing their opinion about that issue.

    However, as you mention, these are entry-level certs. The A+, Network+, and Linux+ (can't speak for the Security+) are not difficult exams. If for some reason an experienced IT individual needed the certs for an interview or to fulfill a new job requirement, these exams could be passed with a week to a month of casual study. A week or a month, once every three years, doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

    Our industry (IT) is very demanding. It requires a huge time commitment outside of the job to keep up with what's new and what has changed, because those changes occur daily. That is the reason many of us got into it. I think these renewals are just one small part of that time commitment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colbert Nation
    Posts
    1,220

    Certifications
    life+
    #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlife View Post
    However, as you mention, these are entry-level certs. The A+, Network+, and Linux+ (can't speak for the Security+) are not difficult exams. If for some reason an experienced IT individual needed the certs for an interview or to fulfill a new job requirement, these exams could be passed with a week to a month of casual study. A week or a month, once every three years, doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Its not an issue of tmie or study for me, it is an issue of money. They charged an arm and a leg for those certs specifically because they were for life, so their business model knew with no renewals, they would have to get all their money up front...and they did.

    On top of that, many people hold multiples of those three exams. So for me, I spent about $1,000 on the tests and study materials (remember A+ was 2 exams). So for those of us that did honor and acheive those, we now have to pay even more.

    I associate what they're doing with what I've seen happen after hurricanes. People bring down trucks filled with chainsaws, generators, ice, etc...and charge DOUBLE what they're worth when they know you can't do without it, and they're the only game in town. Also similar to what movie theatres have done with concession prices. It is simple price gouging, and that is what enrages me, and is why I'll never renew or pursue another comptia cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Baroo? skrpune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,409

    Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    #187
    Quote Originally Posted by brad- View Post
    Its not an issue of tmie or study for me, it is an issue of money. They charged an arm and a leg for those certs specifically because they were for life, so their business model knew with no renewals, they would have to get all their money up front...and they did.

    On top of that, many people hold multiples of those three exams. So for me, I spent about $1,000 on the tests and study materials (remember A+ was 2 exams). So for those of us that did honor and acheive those, we now have to pay even more.

    I associate what they're doing with what I've seen happen after hurricanes. People bring down trucks filled with chainsaws, generators, ice, etc...and charge DOUBLE what they're worth when they know you can't do without it, and they're the only game in town. Also similar to what movie theatres have done with concession prices. It is simple price gouging, and that is what enrages me, and is why I'll never renew or pursue another comptia cert.
    I don't know if you've read through all the terms & latest updates about the certification renewal policies, but anyone who is currently certified or becomes certified through the end of this year remains certified for life. They're not enforcing the new renewal policy until January 1st of next year. Not sure what CompTIA certs you have currently, but any ones you do have now or get by year's end won't need to be renewed.

    Also, for those who hold multiple certs, they will only have to renew/update/submit continuing education credits for the highest level cert. So if someone has A+, Network+ & Security+, it's just the Security+ cert they'll have to keep current and all the others will be renewed with them.

    I don't really get the price gouging reference, I think it's a bit extreme. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't suck that folks will have to renew and will have to pay additional fees, but CompTIA is doing it to stay current and they're not the only ones out there that are requiring certification renewals. I honestly believe it's going to add to CompTIA's reputation....yes, most CompTIA certs are entry level, but they are looked down upon by some because of the lifetime certification. I think that renewals and keeping current can only do good things for the validity of their certs.

    Now...all that being said, in all honesty, I'm still pretty glad that I won't be forced to renew my current certifications. Although if I do get Security+ before year's end I would probably voluntarily renew it to keep it current if I ended up in a job/field where it was relevant.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Member poriggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Arrowhead, Ca
    Posts
    87

    Certifications
    A+; 70-270
    #188
    I just received my A+ certification card and certificate in the mail and was happy to see that it doesn't ever expire. Way to fight it. That being said, A+ is probably the only Comptia Cert I will ever get... Microsoft certs from here on out.
    Scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,597
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    #189
    My latest blog article explains 8570.01 and what CompTIA is doing and why: IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M | TechExams.net Blogs
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Happy Guy GeeLo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    94

    Certifications
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Security, Networking, Hardware, Unix, Windows, Linux, Forensics, Cloud
    #190
    Hello.. I hope this isn't against the forum rules.. I posted this over in the Security+ forum as there are some recent CompTIA certificate holders (like myself) who received there certificates with "valid through" (insert date) in the lower right hand corner, when the policy was going to be in effect.

    I've been talking to Senior level management in CompTIA about the policy change. And I was able to get this for all the new CompTIA Certification holders that have that "valid through" (expire) date on the certifications:

    This is what was emailed back to me. CompTIA said it ok to pass this along to everyone:

    Quote:
    Just so you know we are going to be re-issuing anyone who received a certificate with the “valid through” dates on their certificates this week. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for the postal service to deliver your new certificate to reach you (without the date on it)..
    Also if you do not see your certificate after that time frame send a email to questions@comptia.org

    I was also hoping that a Moderator or Administrator could sticky this in the different CompTIA forums.. or somewhere that everyone can see it.

    Thank You.

    GeeLo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,597
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    #191
    So if I read that correctly, CompTIA made a bookkeeping mistake and prematurely started issuing new certificates with an expiration date, and is now re-issuing replacement certificates with no expiry date to those that received them. Yes?
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,652

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    Of course we can. Tomorrow's a new day, and there'll always be something else to fight about.
    and reality sets in...
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,652

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #193
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeLo View Post
    Hello.. I hope this isn't against the forum rules.. I posted this over in the Security+ forum as there are some recent CompTIA certificate holders (like myself) who received there certificates with "valid through" (insert date) in the lower right hand corner, when the policy was going to be in effect.

    I've been talking to Senior level management in CompTIA about the policy change. And I was able to get this for all the new CompTIA Certification holders that have that "valid through" (expire) date on the certifications:

    This is what was emailed back to me. CompTIA said it ok to pass this along to everyone:

    Quote:
    Just so you know we are going to be re-issuing anyone who received a certificate with the “valid through” dates on their certificates this week. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for the postal service to deliver your new certificate to reach you (without the date on it)..
    Also if you do not see your certificate after that time frame send a email to questions@comptia.org

    I was also hoping that a Moderator or Administrator could sticky this in the different CompTIA forums.. or somewhere that everyone can see it.

    Thank You.

    GeeLo
    Nice!
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Happy Guy GeeLo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    94

    Certifications
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Security, Networking, Hardware, Unix, Windows, Linux, Forensics, Cloud
    #194
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    So if I read that correctly, CompTIA made a bookkeeping mistake and prematurely started issuing new certificates with an expiration date, and is now re-issuing replacement certificates with no expiry date to those that received them. Yes?
    bookkeeping mistake.. error in judgment.. a premature policy implementation.. Yes. Anyone who has a "vaild through" date on their certificate, they will be sending them another certificate without the date.
    4 to 6 weeks delivery. This makes me happy as my CompTIA Security+ certificate has such a date on it.. and I received the certificate this past December 2009. I've heard others on the forums here talking about the same thing. So at least that is good news...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member Turgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    6,250

    Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    #195
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyG View Post
    In a word, Yes.
    I think a lot of people would do that, with elapsed time they have moved on in their careers and the Comptia certs are just not in the reckoning for the jobs they are applying for today.

    The lifetime moniker should stay really. Its a big reason for why so many people signed up for it over the years. Add to which, yes folks doing Comptia certs do pay Comptia wages actually. You may think that the thousand or so dollars you spend chasing them doesn't pay anyones wages but dont think in isolation, millions of people have taken these tests in one flavour or another and it all adds up!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,652

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #196
    Received a new certificate Friday.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member Tyrant1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    Posts
    516

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236
    #197
    I just found out today about this. An e-mail was sent out notifying us to get our certs asap so we don't want to have to renew them again in the future. I'm good though. I'm going to try and get all of my fellow airmen to get their **** done.

    Ninja bump!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    103

    Certifications
    A.S in Associates of Science - A+
    #198
    I really don't see any jobs requiring a Network + so I don't know if this makes sense. Not many entry level jobs out there that require anything outside of the A+ from Comptia.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member Devilsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,203

    Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    #199
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott LaRock View Post
    I really don't see any jobs requiring a Network + so I don't know if this makes sense. Not many entry level jobs out there that require anything outside of the A+ from Comptia.
    Anything helps, your comparing a person with A+ against a person with A+ and Net+. The second person should have more knowledge and also seems more devoted to IT.

    That being said, doesn't A+ and an operating system cert say the same thing? Maybe. I don't know the answer to that. Having an extra certification really won't hurt you. And the certification isn't that expensive. $30-$40 for a book, $200ish for the voucher, and maybe a couple hundred on test prep software or videos. I got mine for less than $500.

    $500 amounts to about 24 cents an hour for work (over the course of 1 year, 40 hours per week). Do you think net+ will give you a quarter an hour raise? And that is just talking 1 year, this thing is currently still valid for life so lets say you get it and use it for the next 24 years. Now is it going to earn you a penny an hour more? If it does, you just made a good investment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. EC Council #1 fan colemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tejas, Baby!
    Posts
    1,531

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, GIAC 2700, MCSE:Security, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Security, CCENT, Sec+, Net+, ITIL v3 Foundations
    #200
    FYI, for DoD folks with the lifetime Security+ cert, (for Army at least, don't know about other branches) and you are part of the IA Workforce 8570 requirement - it is still mandatory that you enroll in the Comptia CPE program, and Army will pay the annual fees. From an Army Information Assurance Training and Certification June newsletter: (minus formatting)

    CompTIA is transitioning to a continuing education format to meet the ISO 17204 stan-dards. Currently CompTIA is evaluating the list of courses from the DoD services. The course completions equate to a certain number of Continu-ing Professional Education Credits. CompTIA hopes to have everything formulated and confirmed NLT Oct 10.
    Personnel certified in A+, Network+ and Security+ by 31 Dec 2010 will be "certified for life" by CompTIA stan-
    dards. All personnel holding one of the CompTIA certifica-tions and who are part of the IA workforce shall opt into the continuing education process on
    1 Jan 2011 and no later than 31 Dec 2012. Certified personnel who do not opt into the continuing education by 31 Dec 2012 will have to RE-TAKE the commercial certifi-cation exam under the con-tinuing education umbrella or naming schema. The retake is required if you are a mem-ber of the DoD IA workforce only.
    The yearly maintenance fee will be paid by DoD as long as your certifications have been released through DMDC a t
    h t t p s : / / www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/ d w c / i n d e x . j s p .
    credit requirements:
    Security+:
    50 CPEs every 3 years
    Network+:
    30 CPEs every 3 years
    A+:
    20 CPEs every 3 years
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Social Networking & Bookmarks