+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
    I have a photocopy of my CCNA on the wall at work, but there is a reason for that. Have to needle the guy that shares my office. The only other cert on the wall is the one I am most proud of, a Red Cross 8 gallon blood doner cert. Working on gallon 9 now. I have no problems at all bragging about that.
    I wish I could give blood, but I am not allowed because I get ill every single time I do it.

Though, is there much call for AB+ blood?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
    I wish I could give blood, but I am not allowed because I get ill every single time I do it.

Though, is there much call for AB+ blood?
    Not really a big need for AB+. I have that type also. It's a rare blood type but AB+ is the universal recipient.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA, CWTS, CCNA Voice, A.A.S. in Networking
    Just on the basis of what they look like the Comptia certs from back in 2001 when I got my A+ look way better than the ones they send out today. The one from 2001 looks like somthing you might actually want to put in a frame and hang in a home office but the Net+ cert they sent my for the 2009 exam looks like something I would stick in my drawer and forget about.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    I have my SANS plaques displayed because they're relatively rare, look nice, and cost a small fortune.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    I remember the last thread on this lol. I would hang them up at home. It's like a nice mural of your career progress.

So do I. The thread turned into an arguement about which is better, having a BS or not lol And then it evolved into brick and mortal verse on line universities lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    I had an internal debate about whether or not to display my Security+ cert, as I spent a bunch of time studying for it and was very proud of the score. In the end, I thought better of it, and voted nay on that and it will go with my A+ and Network+ in a drawer.

I work with folks who have their Masters who don't even have them displayed. I believe my boss has her degree in her office, but that's about it.

I remember years ago, folks would sign their name with MCSE, CCNA, blah blah blah....I always thought that was beyond pretentious. The only time that's cool is if you're an author of prep book or something. [Edit: OR he just signs his name with just CCIE...that cert is almost as good as a Ph.D...[ALMOST] ] I would be more inclined to be more accepting of a guy/gal hanging their certs on the wall than a guys including his name and the runoff of certs he has.

John Smith, A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE 4.0, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003, MCITP:EA 2008, CCNA, CCNP, etc., etc.
    Last edited by erpadmin; 08-29-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Giving CCIEs the pass....because you just have to. LOL.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    +1 Mine are all in a drawer. If or when I get to the point of my own office I may display my Degree and if I have any high end certs then maybe those. By high end I don't mean MCITP I mean anything which is relatively rare or prestigious.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    By high end I don't mean MCITP I mean anything which is relatively rare or prestigious.
    The CCIE I've always considered to be that. I tip my hat to any and all who have earned that cert. No one can give that guy crap if he hangs his cert up on the wall....

He may even get the pass from me if he puts it in his signature (as long as it's just that one). (I'll edit my last post to reflect that).
    Last edited by erpadmin; 08-29-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin;444899I remember years ago, folks would sign their name with MCSE, CCNA, blah blah blah....I always thought that was beyond pretentious. The only time that's cool is if you're an author of prep book or something. [Edit: OR he just signs his name with just CCIE...that cert is almost as good as a Ph.D...[ALMOST
    ] I would be more inclined to be more accepting of a guy/gal hanging their certs on the wall than a guys including his name and the runoff of certs he has.
    I intend to update my email signature with MCSE when I get it. I don't believe that MCSE quite cuts it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Its all smoke and mirrors dales's Avatar

Certifications
    vExpert 2014+2015, VCP5-DT,VCP3+5, CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD ,CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler,Xenapp 6.5,Xendesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+
    I've got my mcsa and vcp up in my house, not at my work though. Theres a few office administrator bods around that proudly display any old training they have been on, manual handling, H&S you name it its up there, makes me chuckle!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    For an email signature I'll say that an MCSE or an MCITP might be ok. It is something that will get seen a lot by your higher ups and by potential employers so I'm adding MCITP:EA to mine after I get it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S, CCDA
    I worked with an engineer who held a CCIE and several other high level certs. All his email signature said was "Sr. Network Engineer". Conversley at the same company we had a Tier I tech who thought he was God and placed all of his certs in his signature, A+ Net+ CCNA MCSE 2000 etc etc ad nauseum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    I worked with an engineer who held a CCIE and several other high level certs. All his email signature said was "Sr. Network Engineer". Conversley at the same company we had a Tier I tech who thought he was God and placed all of his certs in his signature, A+ Net+ CCNA MCSE 2000 etc etc ad nauseum.
    That's even better than my original point; the CCIE didn't even have to be pretentious.

Even though I hope to become a MCITP: EA, at my job it just wouldn't impress anyone (ANYONE) if I got it so for me, it wouldn't make sense to do that. At another shop, perhaps it's encouraged to do so and if put in a situation of "When in Rome...", hey why not.....

Also, when the list is like that Tier 1 tech, that is very pretentious. If it's just a CCNA or MCSE, perhaps it isn't as much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:Security&Voice, CISM, CISSP, SSCP, eCPPT, GCWN
    I'll hang them in my office at home...mostly because it would take an engineering miracle to rig my cubicle walls at work to where they would support anything framed. I don't think it's that big of a deal to hang them at work, as long as you don't act like a douche because of it. For me it wouldn't be a "hey look at me" type thing so much as something other than gray fabric to look at.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    OK, I have decided to chime in here. I think it is perfectly valid that you hang the certs that pertain to your job. At my previous job I hung my MCSE Security, MCITP EA and MCITP DBA as those pertained to what I did daily.

I am in no way a pretentious person, so even if I felt like placing MCITP, MCSE blah in my signature for my professional email, I would. Because I'm not a jerk, no one would complain about it. And if some snide little hater wanted to talk about it he would do it behind my back anyway because that's what those types do and because I would make hime wish he had said nothing at all if he said it to my face.

If you are a DB, people are going to recognize you as such if you hang the certs or not. If you are a nice guy, helpful, and proud of your earned certs, hang them if you want to. People will recognize you for who you are by your interactions with them.

If phantasm's buddy with the A+, Net+, etc where not an @$$munch, his post might have looked like this:
    There's this guy who has all his certs in his email signature. He's a pretty good support guy and knows what he's talking about.
    So not worth the mention. It's the fact that he's an @$$munch that makes his listing the certs d-bagery, not the listing of the certs that makes him a db.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Devilsbane, Rob,

I never was trying to attack you personally. In no way would I ever try to minimize your accomplishments (that's not why I come here). I'm just saying it always seemed pretentious when folks would act like phantasm's tier 1 colleague in a e-mail signature.

But Rob, you may have a point there. If that tech was cool, he could do the runoff all he wanted, and no one would think nothing of it.

Just understand I wasn't attacking anyone here; just stating my own personal observation.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+; 70-270
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    I remember the last thread on this lol. I would hang them up at home. It's like a nice mural of your career progress.
    This is what I have done. I bought quite a few stainless steel frames on sale a while back, and I am using those to frame and hang my certs in my home office.... So far I have A+ and MCP...
    Scott

Last edited by poriggity; 08-30-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Devilsbane, Rob,

I never was trying to attack you personally. In no way would I ever try to minimize your accomplishments (that's not why I come here). I'm just saying it always seemed pretentious when folks would act like phantasm's tier 1 colleague in a e-mail signature.

But Rob, you may have a point there. If that tech was cool, he could do the runoff all he wanted, and no one would think nothing of it.

Just understand I wasn't attacking anyone here; just stating my own personal observation.
    Dude, no idea what you are talking about. I was not talking about you when I said "hater" and did not feel attacked at all. So we are quite cool. I was just talking about those types who cannot handle other people's accomplishments because they feel it reveals their own lack of success and makes them insecure. I'm sure you have met one or two in your life!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    Dude, no idea what you are talking about. I was not talking about you when I said "hater" and did not feel attacked at all. So we are quite cool. I was just talking about those types who cannot handle other people's accomplishments because they feel it reveals their own lack of success and makes them insecure. I'm sure you have met one or two in your life!
    Oh no, I got that, and I never thought that you thought I was a hater. I've been dealing with them since the late 70s.....(in other words, all my life...just comes with the terrority of being from Jersey.)

My thing was I wasn't trying to say you were pretentious if you wanted to list your certs in the e-mail. When I thought about it....those folks that did that were in fact the very d-bags you mentioned. But I just didn't want you to think I was lumping you or anyone else on here in that same category.

Sometimes things gets lost in translation on the Interwebs....we are very cool.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
    This is what I have done. I bought quite a few stainless steel frames on sale a while back, and I am using those to frame and hang my certs in my home office.... So far I have A+ and MCP...
    Scott
    Good idea, I like it! Buying the frames in advance will help motivate you to study and get the certificates. You should hang the empty frames to further motivate yourself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    My view is that while people have certs that are higher than mine, then I have no right to say if they should put them on the wall or display them in there signatures. If you have put years of hard work in to some thing why should you not be proud of the fact and want people to know. After all its going to be a big part of your business and career.

And I hope once I do have the high level certs I still remember the sense of achievement I felt as I passed me CCNA, and can be just as happy and make sure I congratulate the new guys as they sheepishly hang up theirs.

I think I would suggests that some one who has a out of date cert should take it down, but for the new guy who is adding / updating to the certs on the wall behind him every few months, that shows some one who is working to move forward in there career. If I was the boss walking around the help desk and saw one of the staff with an ever growing collection of certs next to there desk, I would be much more likley to go over to have a chat with them, than the person with the blank wall behind them.

A certification is an achievement and no one should be made to feel embrased putting it on the wall.

To hang or not should be a personal choise, never worry what the guy at the next desk thinks. If he doesn't have any him self then he is probable jealous. If he has every top level cert going, then hopefully, he will congratulate you and offer to help you achieve the next step.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    One thing I would add is that if you add certs to a signature or hang them on the wall, I would only hang the latest.

no one needs to see you have a CCNA when you have your CCIE hanging above it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    for the new guy who is adding / updating to the certs on the wall behind him every few months, that shows some one who is working to move forward in there career. If I was the boss walking around the help desk and saw one of the staff with an ever growing collection of certs next to there desk, I would be much more likley to go over to have a chat with them, than the person with the blank wall behind them.
    The CEO at the last company which I worked for used to walk by my desk, look at my certs, and say "I like that, that makes me proud." There were engineers that were somewhat resentful that I displayed my achievements but I didn’t give a damn. I didn’t intend to impress other engineers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S/W, CCNA, CCENT, MCSA, A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3
    Had to dig up this thread.......sorry. The senior engineer and team lead where I work has been bugging me to frame and hang up my certs in our shared office like he has, but only for one reason. We have been "graced" with the addition of our project manager to our office recently. He was a tier II tech forever --8 years at least, who has moved into project management and will now be "managing" our projects for us. He has his MBA, PM, and ITIL certs stuck to the wall with push pins now. For us hanging them is more of a slam than anything else. Took me a few hours to find all of mine at home actually. I'm personally indifferent on the whole matter, but I don't mind playing along.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    I remember wearing my hard won MCSE badge back in 1999, it made a nice tie pin. My line manager at the time proceeded to wear a Blue Peter badge to make fun of the situation.

hehehe..I guess it's just not a British thing to brag about your accomplishments. It was only a tiny badge!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks