+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
  1. Junior Member TimTheEnchantor's Avatar

Certifications
    MCITP: SA, MCTS: Vista.
    No one in my office hangs certifications. At home is another story. If my office was viewed by upper management more often - I would do it at the office.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek1969 View Post
    Had to dig up this thread.......sorry. The senior engineer and team lead where I work has been bugging me to frame and hang up my certs in our shared office like he has, but only for one reason. We have been "graced" with the addition of our project manager to our office recently. He was a tier II tech forever --8 years at least, who has moved into project management and will now be "managing" our projects for us. He has his MBA, PM, and ITIL certs stuck to the wall with push pins now. For us hanging them is more of a slam than anything else. Took me a few hours to find all of mine at home actually. I'm personally indifferent on the whole matter, but I don't mind playing along.
    I like it, I like it. Pi$$ off the poor new PM by putting all your certs on the wall too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    The company I work at has people who put their certs in their signature block. You see MCP sometimes MCSA and even A+, N+, S+.

I think it looks bizarre to be honest.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    The company I work at has people who put their certs in their signature block. You see MCP sometimes MCSA and even A+, N+, S+.

I think it looks bizarre to be honest.
    Pretty much we all do it where I'm at. The common one for the sig block is CISSP. I don't hang any of mine up at work. I have my GIAC certs sitting on the floor at the house.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmidl View Post
    Pretty much we all do it where I'm at. The common one for the sig block is CISSP. I don't hang any of mine up at work. I have my GIAC certs sitting on the floor at the house.
    Not that I have a problem with it, but what if you have 20 certs? Do you all just pick out the top 1 or 2?

Just curious how that works.

And for the records, ITIL, PMP, CISSP doesn't put me off I just wouldn't do it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Cisco R00t Clan Member NOC-Ninja's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE-Wireless, CCIE-RS (written), CCNP-Wireless, CCNP, CCNA-Wireless, CCNA-Security, CCNA, CEH, CHFI
    I don't hang mine on my wall yet. However, I have it on my signature. I don't really care what people say. I worked hard and sacrificed my social life to get those.

Our senior architect hang his certs on his wall and have it on his signature. Also, we have another PM here that has CCSP but doesn't post it on his signature or hang it on his wall. Usually the news of passing or getting a new cert spreads like a fire in my company.
    MSISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    A+, Dell, Lexmark
    I have my A+ and Net+ hanging in my cube. I do it for a couple of reasons. 1st, getting my A+ helped me move into the IT depatment, so I'm pretty proud of that after being with this company for 10 years in the mail/copy room. 2nd, they paid for my Net+ so it's my wasy of showing appreciation for it. Besides, the people in my department are interested in seeing each other progress in our education and careers so it's a good way of showing what I've accomplished. As I move on to bigger certs I will take down the entry level ones.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    I don't hang my certs up in the office.
    I don't hang them up at home, either.
    I don't place them in my signature.

I save a hardcopy in a folder, and obtain/scan softcopies in PDF format.

About the only way you know of my certs is if we're specifically on that topic, or you're looking at my resume.

This is one thing I would like to know:

Has hanging your certs up in the office led to any pay/promotions because of it? If you could say that it had, then I would start plastering mine all over this cubicle of mine ... but that tends to break my ideals of office space. I like to work in a totally blank office area, devoid of personalization, with the ability to take everything personal of mine home when I stick my wallet in my back pocket. (Or, if I have a book or two there, in my backpack.) I do not want to ever get into a place and "set roots" until I have a position with a stable, rewarding organization, or I open my own business, whichever occurs first. Until that time, I am not going to waste my time by setting up house in temporary quarters. I actually use this as motivation to keep pressing, keep working, keep getting better. ... not for the current position, but for the next position.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by instant000 View Post
    I don't hang my certs up in the office.
    I don't hang them up at home, either.
    I don't place them in my signature.
    I am amazed that this thread has so many entries. I think that I am getting silly after an all night coding session but this sounded like Dr. Seuss. Sorry don't be offended.

I will not hang them on a wall
    I will not hang them in a hall
    I will not hang them on a gate
    I will not hang them for goodness sake
    Would you hang them here and there
    I do not hang them anywhere
    Sam I am

groan... Visual Studio is hazardous to your mental health late at night.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    Not that I have a problem with it, but what if you have 20 certs? Do you all just pick out the top 1 or 2?

My personal opinion is take the top 2-3 and list. Ex: right now I have listed, GCIH, GSEC and MCSE: Security (even though I have Sec+, MCTS, MCP, MCSA). Once my endorsement for CISSP is complete I'll probably change it to show "CISSP, GCIH, MCSE: Security" Why GCIH over GSEC? GCIH is a 500-level SANS course where as GSEC is 400-level. Whenever I get around to finishing my MCITP that will probably replace the MCSE: Sec.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Have to use some common sense. I don't list my CCNA, for example, as it's required for the CCNP, so anyone likely to care or know is already going to be aware. Same with the CCDA.

On the other hand, I absolutely do NOT put my A+ and Net+ in my sig at work. Mixing professional level Cisco certs with entry level Comptia certs just looks like bragging, and undue bragging at that.

I do have my CCDP, CCIP, CCNP, and GSEC mounted on the wall at work. It wasn't something I had initially planned on doing, but it was common place around the company to do so, so I fell in line with company culture. And since we get visits from upper level management more frequently than I'd like, I figured it wasn't a bad idea there either.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts in Information Science, PMP, CAPM, MCP (70-210), Six Sigma White Belt
    This thread has been really amusing in a positive way, and it’s been really interesting to read the responses.

As I’ve read the discussion, I can’t help but think that this discussion is about something bigger than just hanging certifications. We aren’t really discussing whether it’s best to frame a certification, or to file it away… It’s about whether or not it’s ok to “brag” to some extent about your accomplishments.

So with that in mind, I say go for it, but follow normal bragging rules: Don’t brag to someone who has accomplished something greater than you; and don’t be a dick about it (i.e. don’t hang up 15 certifications).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I am amazed that this thread has so many entries. I think that I am getting silly after an all night coding session but this sounded like Dr. Seuss. Sorry don't be offended.

Sam I am

I will hide this sh!t in you snippets, man, so when you try to implement IConvertable this gets inserted instead. That is some funny stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Sam I am

I'm not offended at all. I was thinking of Dr. Seuss also
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    I like it, I like it. Pi$$ off the poor new PM by putting all your certs on the wall too.
    I've found the best way to piss off a PM is to innocently ask them 'What exactly does a project manager do, anyway?'
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    I've found the best way to piss off a PM is to innocently ask them 'What exactly does a project manager do, anyway?'
    hehehehe..slow down the project? Waste our valuable time? Interfere? Require everything explaining to them? Cause problems? Offer no assistance of any consequence? Take the credit for all our hardwork? Depending how useless some of them are it can be quite a list!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    I think its a bit like i don't sign my name Aaron Street Bsc, not because I am not proud of the fact I have a degree, but I don't see it is something special.

On the other hand if I had a doctorate then I most likely would sign my name
    Dr Aaron Street. Especial if I was a Doctor of physics working as a department leader at CERN.

I am also of the opinion that certs should stay up for a length of time that is inverse to the difficulty of them. So if some one has there CCNA up for a few months and then replaces it with there CCNA security it shows continued learning. Howevver once its been up 9months or so it starts to look old...
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, AA in Technical Support
    I personally don't have an office yet since I have no job in IT yet. I do however post my High school diploma and my A+ certification in my room! It makes me feel fulfilled to know that I studied really hard for both of them and did not cheat. I will do the same with the other certs. Instead of putting a hole in them, i frame them in my room. I will do the same with my AA and my N+ when I get them.

To me its all about studying, knowing the material, and seeing self accomplishment. Not doing those stupid brain dumps. Brain dumps are for losers who don't truly want to get into IT. However my main goal is to be a System Administrator and actually know what I am talking about. I am glad it takes me 4-5 months to study really hard for a cert. At least that's what has happened with the A+ so far. The others should take about the same amount of time.

Certs maybe just a piece of paper to some, but to the other half its a sense of fulfillment in knowing that you actually took the time to learn the material. I am part of the half that takes the time to learn the material, that is why I proudly hang this stuff on my wall in my room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Social Networking & Bookmarks