+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Senior Member

Question Free online certifications??

I need some free certs to fill some little holes in my cv i did D-link online cert a few years ago it was the basic thing but i wonder if i can find more like this.

yes i know those are not reputable certs but like i say are little holes..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. aka KitKatNinja

Certifications
    Alot - Microsoft, Citrix, HP, Apple, Comptia and VMWare
    How about these:

Safer Recruitment in Education. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for safer recruitment.

Microsoft certs of completion (You can get Certs of Completions on Microsoft's elearning courses, some of them are free).

Winning the Contract. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for procurement/tendering.

-Ken
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBoy View Post
    How about these:

Safer Recruitment in Education. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for safer recruitment.

Microsoft certs of completion (You can get Certs of Completions on Microsoft's elearning courses, some of them are free).

Winning the Contract. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for procurement/tendering.

-Ken
    thx for the microsoft... the other two...i think i dont need those
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. aka KitKatNinja

Certifications
    Alot - Microsoft, Citrix, HP, Apple, Comptia and VMWare
    Quote Originally Posted by gouki2005 View Post
    thx for the microsoft... the other two...i think i dont need those
    Cool, no worries

Included them as they are also part of my role

-Ken
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. Tech Management, Network+, Server+, 70-680, 70-620, JNCIA-Junos
    Just my first thought, and I do know you already acknowledged they are not really reputable. Might it do more harm than good placing that on your resume? I mean, if you're using them to fill holes then I would be led to believe you're probably just starting out in the industry and if that's the case I would expect your resume not be as loaded as someone with some years of experience under them and some professional certifications. On the flip side, if you do have some experience under your belt and are trying to move into bigger and better things, then I would question why you haven't sought after and obtained more "real" certifications or otherwise done other steps to improve your perceived value to prospective employers.

That's just my first thought is all, I don't mean to insult anybody who might pursue things like this and include them on their resume. I just think it's one of those things that may do more harm than good. That's just how I look at things though, if I see things on a resume that look like complete fluff then I question why this is a good candidate if they load their resume with things that when it really comes down to it won't serve any real benefit to the role they would fill. Just seems like a tacky and risky move to me. I'd consider not pursuing that route and finding other ways to pad your resume such as professional proctored certifications, real work experiences if you have any and if not and you are getting started in the industry maybe consider volunteer work fixing PC's or something somewhere like a church, seniors center, charity, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    NSTISSI (4012 & 4011), eCPPT, CEH, CHFI, EDRP, CWSP, CWNA, RHCSA, VCP 3, G2700, GSEC, CIW:SP:WFA, Security+, Network+, A+
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris:/* View Post
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!
    +1 Me too
    CURRENTLY READING Linux+ Study Guide 2nd Ed. , Linux Essentials Both Roderick Smith / Sybex
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP3/4/5; EMCSA:CLARiiON; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    Yeah, if you're going to do that you might as well make up your own certification. Would be just as effective.
    IT guy since 12/00

12/3/12 - Passed VCAP5-DCA
    Next: MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008 upgrade or RHCSA
    Future: NetApp NCDA, PMP, ITIL, CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV, VCP4-DCV, VCP3, MCSE:SI, MCSA2012/2008, MCITP:EA/SP2010, MCTSx8, MCSE2K3, Sec+, EMCISA, Dell Compellent Admin, ITILv3F
    Quote Originally Posted by blargoe View Post
    Yeah, if you're going to do that you might as well make up your own certification. Would be just as effective.
    Certified Doughnut-Holer........
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm doughnuts

I agree completely with msteinhilber and the others, I think the time and effort would be better off spent elsewhere.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris:/* View Post
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!
    +1. Hit it right on the nail.

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Mr. Poopy Pants

Certifications
    MCP, MCDST, HDI-SCA, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS, MCSA: W7
    Just found a link from Juniper Networks offering a 100% voucher for a JunOS certification. It's free, and it's a good product.

100% Free Junos Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Nothing worthwhile is easy [or free].
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Does that include Microsoft beta exams or the free vouchers that they gave away in 2008 when Juniper first had their free test vouchers. Free does not mean easy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. Tech Management, Network+, Server+, 70-680, 70-620, JNCIA-Junos
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Does that include Microsoft beta exams or the free vouchers that they gave away in 2008 when Juniper first had their free test vouchers. Free does not mean easy.
    No, free does not mean easy.

But "free online" does, which is what the OP was inquiring about.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member Registered Member

Default My advice: if you are looking for online free courses : DO EXTENSIVE SEARCHES !!

DON'T JUST PUT IN GOOGLE: "FREE CERTIFICATION IT OR "AREA".!!!!!!! THAT WOULD RESULT IN A TON OF UGLY SITES THAT OFFER NOT-VALID KNOWLEDGE.

I agree that if someone uses "free online stuff" to fill a job application, that's just ugly.

but it doesn't hurt to want to know more, even if you are a CCNA or a COMPTIA +A certified person, sometimes you want to "understand the basics" of certain area that you are not a expert.

I have seen bad "free" online courses, but there are also great courses that clarify a lot of things for a certain subject you are interested, you just have to do research, and understand that the best thing you can do, is to get certified by a pearsonvue exams or training.

remember, if you want quality on the internet, you have to do a "extensive" search, not limit google search to : free online search, there are a lot of excellent free online courses out there, but your main goal should always be get a real cert on pearsonvue.

thats how i think.
    regards,
    adrian
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA: A+ | Net+ | MCP|
    Can you guys get a job from those free certificates or are you doing it just for the love of it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNP (R&S), CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Sec, JNCIA, SERV+, Sec+, Net+, A+, SCP

Default Solarwinds SCP

Hello, I just recently taken Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world. At this time the exam is free (normally it is $150) and you can register and take the exam online. You need to be prepared and have working experience with Solarwinds to pass the exam. Good Luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:CS, VCP5-DCV, Sec/Svr+, MCSA:08/12, MCITP:SA/EA, CASP, VCA:WM/DCV/Cloud, ITIL-F, MOF, ISO/IEC 20000/27000
    3 The Best FREE Online Courses with Certificates - IT Certification Master

IPv6 - Hurricane electric
    Virtualization and Backup-Backup Academy
    Cloud - Rackspace
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:CS, VCP5-DCV, Sec/Svr+, MCSA:08/12, MCITP:SA/EA, CASP, VCA:WM/DCV/Cloud, ITIL-F, MOF, ISO/IEC 20000/27000
    Quote Originally Posted by JacekRadomski View Post
    Hello, I just recently taken Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world. At this time the exam is free (normally it is $150) and you can register and take the exam online. You need to be prepared and have working experience with Solarwinds to pass the exam. Good Luck.
    1 post? hmmmm......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, a few CIW, VCA-DCV/WM/Cloud, OCA Java SE 7, BSIT
    Quote Originally Posted by tprice5 View Post
    1 post? hmmmm......
    Oh, you skipped over your first post here?

Not a very warm welcome..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    When someone comes in promoting one vendor's product and it is his/her first post, I am justifiably suspicious. If he/she is legit, all the welcomes in the world, but that has yet to be seen.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV, CCNA, Net+, VCA-DVC, CSSA, CMNA, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by tprice5 View Post
    IPv6 - Hurricane electric
    Bastards never sent me my Sage t-shirt.

But in all seriousness, HE is awesome for not only the free tunnel broker service they offer, but their IPv6 training program. I took it a couple years ago, and it was both informative and fun. They basically have you create a real-world lab with your server(s) and audit them to make sure they are IPv6 compliant. You learn a lot about how to configure IPv6 properly and once you achieve their top tier cert level (Sage) they are supposed to send you a t-shirt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+
    Don't do free they don't hold the value.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, eWPT, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CNDA, ECSA, CHFI, Sec+, Net+
    Depending on who you work for, you can sometimes get vendor certs by virtue of business partnerships. I got my FSE (FireEye Certified Systems Engineer), SFCSE (SourceFire Certified Security Engineer), SFCSE-AMP (SourceFire Certified Security Engineer - Advanced Malware Protection), and SFCAR (SourceFire Certified Architect) all for free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    MTA Networking Fundamentals, MTA Security Fundamentals, CompTIA Network+, MTA Operating System Fundamentals
    Don't know if this is still valid but there's a post on here about a free VCA exam from VMWARE at Free VCA exam of your choice from VMWARE
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks