+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #1

    Default How to get Dell desktop/laptop certified?

    I was stumbling across Dells site and found server certs and emr, but nothing desktop or laptop materials.

    I would like to take an online training to break apart the desktops and laptops. I want to see it done so I can become more effecient. I really want to get good at removing systemboards. One other thing, are the processors integrated into the systemboards?


    Thanks for any help
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member MentholMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,550
    #2
    I don't know about Dell, but Lenovo has tons of documentation and even videos for hardware repair/replacement. For example, here are the docs for the Thinkpad T510:
    Lenovo Support - Hardware removal and installation - ThinkPad T510, W510

    For laptops, the procedures will vary by model, but desktops are generally standardized, so you can practice on pretty much any desktop and it will be similar to other desktops. CPUs can be replaced on most desktops and laptops.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Virtual Member undomiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,813

    Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    #3
    There's this: Dell - Interactive Video Teardowns

    And I recall there being some pretty good teardown guides in the manuals for some of the systems. Once you've taken one apart though it is pretty much the same for everything except for a few weird items i.e. M2010.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Still a noob earweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,176

    Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    #4
    I've gotten sveeral Dell Certs in the last few months. I joined Onforce as a tech and get to take the training and certs free. the training they have is very good and there is even a general laptop and desktop cert (I got those first) that teach quite a bit. there are lot of different Dell certs to get on Dells training site.
    As for the processor being integrated Dells are a lot like other computers but the laptops have RAM under the keyboard.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. 518
    518 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Germany
    Posts
    150

    Certifications
    CISSP|CCNP|CASP|CCNA|CCNA-Sec|CCNA-Voice|Sec+|Net+|A+
    #5
    AFAIK, the company has to sponsor you to take Dell Certs. I started with Dell certs back in 2002 when I was with Lockheed Martin.

    Aside from the video tear-down, you can actually find the service manual for each model. Go to support.dell.com and choose Support for Enterprise IT. From that page, choose the specific model you want to service.

    By the way, Dell Certs are more of a requirement so you can order parts from DOSD.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 518 View Post
    AFAIK, the company has to sponsor you to take Dell Certs. I started with Dell certs back in 2002 when I was with Lockheed Martin.

    Aside from the video tear-down, you can actually find the service manual for each model. Go to support.dell.com and choose Support for Enterprise IT. From that page, choose the specific model you want to service.

    By the way, Dell Certs are more of a requirement so you can order parts from DOSD.
    Thanks for the 411. I am trying to get some training set up for my guys. The company I am going to is a DELL shop and to be honest I don't have much hardware experience with DELL, just Lenovo. Most of the fixes seem to be fairly straight forward.

    Does the training go over fan replacement and systemboard replacement?

    WEED this is at you too brother
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Still a noob earweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,176

    Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    #7
    The training for the certs goes over every step of replacing everything. The desktop cert and laptop cert went over how to work on each series of machine and explained diferences between different models.
    I went to Onforce (google it, I'll explain later) and registered as an onforce tech and went through their required process. They rovide fee Dell training and certs. Onforce is just a sort of independent contractor portal where they hook you up with tech work and they get a cut of your pay.
    I'm at inlaws now and we have Hughesnet which bites. A few clouds and it takes 5-10 minutes for a webpage to load. wife and I moved down here as I had better luck finding jobs down here than where we lived. Start a 2 month contract job Monday that hopefully goes perm. At least it's not retail..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Virtual Member undomiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,813

    Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    #8
    If the training is at all similar to when I was doing Dell phone support then the tear downs they offer you get pretty specific and usually have lots of pictures with them. Next best thing to actually getting hands on with the hardware.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Still a noob earweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,176

    Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    #9
    It is the same. It's the Dell Training site. Onforce has it for free. I wasn't going to bother with it until I had a job offer for a Dell Field Tech. The recruiter required me to get 6 Dell certs in 5 days to get the job. He told me I could take the tests with the course material open. It worked but it's cheating so I turned down the job. I didn't take any tests like that, just verified it could be done.I did get 3 certs in 4 days but they were basic. The Laptop/desktop general certs are harder and then the model/series specific certs are ev en more detailed.
    N2IT could register with onforce (it takes a few days to clear) and get the free Dell training/certs. Onforce is like a job where you only work when you accept assignments and only get paid then. You're not obligated to accept jobs. I've only been able to accept 3 assignments because the jobs get accepted so fast that you have to have a smartphone or tablet on you at all times.
    As to the detail of the training it is very detailed but would be betterIMO if you have the actual hardware in hand.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    It is the same. It's the Dell Training site. Onforce has it for free. I wasn't going to bother with it until I had a job offer for a Dell Field Tech. The recruiter required me to get 6 Dell certs in 5 days to get the job. He told me I could take the tests with the course material open. It worked but it's cheating so I turned down the job. I didn't take any tests like that, just verified it could be done.I did get 3 certs in 4 days but they were basic. The Laptop/desktop general certs are harder and then the model/series specific certs are ev en more detailed.
    N2IT could register with onforce (it takes a few days to clear) and get the free Dell training/certs. Onforce is like a job where you only work when you accept assignments and only get paid then. You're not obligated to accept jobs. I've only been able to accept 3 assignments because the jobs get accepted so fast that you have to have a smartphone or tablet on you at all times.
    As to the detail of the training it is very detailed but would be betterIMO if you have the actual hardware in hand.

    I agree, I originally was given access to dtt(Dell training tool website) through a staffing agency but used it mainly for OnForce. I then landed a gig that required that required me to obtain 9 certs within 7 days. They don`t hold as much weight as say an A+ because they are all open book. They are mainly JUST so you know how and where to find the information you need whenever you need it.

    I mean seriously, @earweed, have you taken the foundations desktop or laptop exams?? The questions are ridiculously specific and those test are about the entire line-up for a specific year. I can understand how it feels like cheating(I thought I was in the beginning) but so far having a dell cert doesn't hold much weight besides you knowing how to research.

    @N2IT
    Once you have taken a few desktops and laptops apart it really isn't a big deal and they are all very similar. Besides computers like alienware and those massive XPS laptops. The gig I spoke of was warranty field service work for DELL and Unisys. I took apart at least 4 laptop motherboards a day. I really enjoyed the work but they didn't pay enough so I moved on.

    My advice, go with earweed and register through OnForce. You will also get your hands on different types of training as they offer a decent selection.

    EDIT: On some laptops, the CPU is integrated and on some they aren't. I don't remember which ones specifically but I know a few latitudes are like that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #11
    I'll check out onforce. Is onforce like a free lance job site to pick up calls?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member mypcrepairguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Parkersburg, WV
    Posts
    41

    Certifications
    ITIL V3, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCITP: EDST 7 & EST, HP APS, DCSE, Xerox, Pharmacy tech
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    I'll check out onforce. Is onforce like a free lance job site to pick up calls?
    Seconded for onforce route. I joined and breezed through several dell certs. As an added benefit I am able to work a few tickets from onforce to add some extra cash in my pocket.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    I'll check out onforce. Is onforce like a free lance job site to pick up calls?
    Yea pretty much, The types of job all circulate around something technical but not always dealing with computers or routers and the like. For instance, I saw a recent post where a buyer needed someone to pick up some stuff and drop it off and another where a buyer needed someone to take photos of a crash site.

    My most recent project was setting up wall and table displays for AT&T for the Atrix phone.
    Last edited by TheSuperRuski; 03-05-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Just Landed... getitngo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    44

    Certifications
    Network+, Project+, MCP, MCTS, MCITP:SA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNP SWITCH
    #14
    I have a bunch of Dell Certs from working for them, but I second the onforce option mentioned by earweed, simply because its free and your open to more bids.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    #15

    Default Dell Certs

    Found this site when searching about getting recertified with Dell. My certs with my previous job have expired but my current job is not setup as a Dell partner or warranty site. Wanted to renew them some way that was more in my control and not of the typical employer. OnForce is definitely the best way to go for an individual.

    My question is-now that I have registered on dtt.dell.com, how do I take the tests? I must be dense or something. I cannot find a way to take them. When I launch a course it just opens a window with the training material. How do you take the actual test?

    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman24 View Post
    Found this site when searching about getting recertified with Dell. My certs with my previous job have expired but my current job is not setup as a Dell partner or warranty site. Wanted to renew them some way that was more in my control and not of the typical employer. OnForce is definitely the best way to go for an individual.

    My question is-now that I have registered on dtt.dell.com, how do I take the tests? I must be dense or something. I cannot find a way to take them. When I launch a course it just opens a window with the training material. How do you take the actual test?

    Thanks

    When you find a particular course you want to take a test for, click on "here" where it says "click here for assessments." That will bring up a pop-up screen allowing you to take either the certification or a self assessment test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    #17
    Thank you very much.

    I completed 2 of the certs today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks