+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12 3456 Last

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    I have been with my current company for about 4 years now and got all my certs, except for the CCNA, during my time here.

My CCNA got me a role with Mobil, like I've said in the past, just the company name and having worked with real gear got me into my current role.

Looks like the CCNA is the most prized entry-level cert going around, eh?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    I would say my MCSE has brought me the most success. My studies and labs done for that helped me gain the ground work of knowledge that I've been using successfully ever since then. Everything else I've learned through experience has built upon that knowledge. Now if the question was what certification had the most direct impact upon a hiring decision on just the basis of the certification bereft of the experience surrounding it that would be the MCITP:EA. My current employer is a Microsoft Gold Partner so naturally the points from that were desirable. And considering our difficulties with getting other employees certified lately they've been pretty darn necessary too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    It's hard to say. My immediate reaction was the CISSP, as it is was a contractual obligation for my current position, which was an initial raise of 21%. However, I whole-heartedly doubt that I would have been considered for the position without my MCSE 2000 and CCNA. My employer is big on certifications because I clients require them. It is hard to say which of those had the greatest impact... I would have to say they were weighted nearly equally as my initial role was packet analysis and deploying a new packet analysis solution enterprise-wide that was built on Windows appliances. I have always been told that I should specialize, but it is being well-rounded that put me in this position.

My main requirement was to have CISSP, but I was also told that I would need to update my MCSE to 2003... I did that and was told that the client wanted 2008 now, as well... so I did that. So, they all play a role in my work. And I received a 9% after my first year. We shall see what happens after year number two (half-way there now). My new assignment is an Exchange 2010 migration, which the success of this project can help determine not only another raise (2-5%) but a promotion (potentially another 8%, which would be 13% as I would only have the promotion with a top rating on my review).
    Last edited by powerfool; 08-26-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    70-346 [ ] 70-347 [ ] 70-533 [ ] 70-743 [ ]
    2017 Goals: MCSA Office 365 and MCSE Cloud Platform and MCSA 2016
    2016 Attained: MCSA Windows Server 2012, MCSE Messaging, MCSE Communications, and MCSE Productivity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Security+

Of course, by the time I had Security+, I had years of exp, college degree, and military IT experience.

I've risen 25% since this time last year primarily because of Security+.

I could have said something outlandish like 100% via CISSP, but I didn't want to move to Wichita when the recruiter tried to get me to move back there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: SA & EMA, CCNP, ITIL v3 Foundation
    My MCITP:SA landed me my last job as a system engineer, my MCITP: EMA got me my current job, as an Exchange/Network admin.

Hopefully, my CCNA and soon to be CCNP will get me into the networking field
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    CCNP helped the most, but I think the CCNA opened the door. The CCNA gave me a little bump, but got me into networking. I've doubled my salary since getting the CCNA (~3.5 years ago). Obviously not solely due to certs, but I think they've definitely helped me move up much quicker than I would've if I hadn't gotten them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCIP, CCNA Security, JNCIA-JUNOS, VCP4, Security+, MCP
    I don't know really. I know I've gotten interviews because of my CCNP, but I've gotten jobs because I interview well, I get along easily with everyone, and I know my stuff. Beyond that I'm not sure...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE R/S
    i would say getting CCNA that was 5 yrs ago. I think that got me into more places to build up my skills
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Quote Originally Posted by instant000 View Post
    I could have said something outlandish like 100% via CISSP, but I didn't want to move to Wichita when the recruiter tried to get me to move back there.
    LOL!! What's with Wichita?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Guest

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    None of my certs have given me any success. I guess I need to get back to studing for the CCNA...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    Well I would have to also say the CCNA. Prior to this the most I ever seen on a tax return was about 10k. With in 16 months of getting my CCNA I am about to possibly quadruple that. Currently I have tripled it but looking into another position that has a pretty good chance of going through.

Went to school for game design and was working for FedEx. I always seen these boxes labeled Cisco going to companies and didnt know what they were. Seen a community college offering the Cisco Academy and signed up. Now I am here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CICSP, MCSE, C|EH, MCSA, MCITP: EMA 2K7/2010, MCTS:Exchange 2K7/2010, Sec+, Net+, CCA-XENAPP, ITIL-V3, MCDST, MOS
    From a hiring standpoint none of the certification I hold have helped me obtain a job. Neither have I ever received a raise for obtaining a certification. My degree has helped me the most.

From a technical standpoint...MCSE has helped me on the job the most. Overall decision making I would have to lean towards CISSP.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Brain on a schtick badrottie's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA
    I do not feel that a certification or designation will be the single deciding factor. What I find that it does do is the following:
    • Demonstrate to employers that you have a vested interest in your skills, professional development and career
    • Demonstrate knowledge of a given area/domain at a minimum level
    • Prevent you from being disqualified from certain positions
    That is about it. I will be 100% honest: the CISSP has opened many doors, but ensuring they stay open is entirely up to me and my subsequent actions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    My CCNA hasn't opened any doors outright, but I'm hoping to change that soon. My experience and my interviewing ability has got me further. It also helps that I work with a product that is tough to find good administrators.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Sec+ or CEH is a must have in the DC area. They're required to get your foot in the door.

For me its VCP4. It gave me 50% pay increase. It's an interesting experience going to a career fair, mention you're a VCP to a recruiter then listen to them sell their company to you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    If I had to give advice from this thread the CCNA would be the certification that seems to fit more people.

If you don't have a college degree networking seems to be a good field to get into granted you have your CCNA

If you are looking to elevate outside of the helpdesk or an entry level role, CCNA could do that for you. Giving you a leg up in the NOC, Network Admin role, or Sys Admin.

If you are a jack of all trades this could give you an added advantage if a project comes up regarding networking or data centers etc.

If you are a business professional this could give you a really nice understanding of networking and Cisco specific tools.

The CCNA seems like a very versitile certifcation and one that comes with a lot of respect and value.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    LOL!! What's with Wichita?
    Hah.

I'm not particularly careful about where I stay, I think I've mentioned that before, but once you get a woman in your life, you tend to change your selfish ways (if you want to keep her).

Full disclosure:

I've lived in Wichita before. While it would have been a great opportunity for me (I kept telling my girl that in that position, I could give her a job, too!) but it wasn't what she wanted to do. And, I also felt that I wasn't ready for that role yet, but would be in a couple years. I guess it's a personal thing.
    Last edited by instant000; 09-01-2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    If I had to give advice from this thread the CCNA would be the certification that seems to fit more people.

If you don't have a college degree networking seems to be a good field to get into granted you have your CCNA

If you are looking to elevate outside of the helpdesk or an entry level role, CCNA could do that for you. Giving you a leg up in the NOC, Network Admin role, or Sys Admin.

If you are a jack of all trades this could give you an added advantage if a project comes up regarding networking or data centers etc.

If you are a business professional this could give you a really nice understanding of networking and Cisco specific tools.

The CCNA seems like a very versitile certifcation and one that comes with a lot of respect and value.
    Indeed, it is a respected certification. You can't get it via osmosis, LOL. One guy at work took the CCENT 8 times before he passed it ...he used the brute force method, LOL.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+,Net+,Server+,Security+, CCNA,CCDA,CCNA:S,CCNP,CCDP,MCSE,MCTS,MCITP
    ALL!!!
    they always get me notice and have open opportunities for me
    i think that they should pay us to get training or certified on new technologies a company is as good as their IT deparment is, but they dont have to pay me i do it for personal gain
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    None?
    I get at least one job call a month since adding both MCSE and CCNA to my resume. I think the 1..2... combo of those give you the core skills most place need at a minimum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel333 View Post
    I get at least one job call a month since adding both MCSE and CCNA to my resume. I think the 1..2... combo of those give you the core skills most place need at a minimum.
    I agree if you have both of those you are in a good place.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post

yeah, reading this thread has really got me thinking about working on the CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    One VCP has proven to be more valuable than my three MCITPs

(proven in terms of money and satisfaction)

And I agree, CCNA seems to be very valuable in combination with any other cert. Once I upgraded to VCP 5 I will be aiming for the CCNA myself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    I find it interesting that the CCNA shows up so often in this thread. As of late I've seen the CCNA on everything, including Computer Forensic jobs.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+; Network+; Security+; Project+; CCNP
    I too will have to jump on the CCNA wagon. My A+ helped me get a job in the field but the CCNA helped me get a job doing what I like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12 3456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks