+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    yeah, reading this thread has really got me thinking about working on the CCNA
    Good luck Mike sounds like a great one to get. I bought the official exam certification guide for CCENT/CCNA two book set.

***Note I sold it to a co worker lol

You know that saying biting off more than you can chew?

I think my goals listed in my signature are quite enough lol
    Last edited by N2IT; 09-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCENT
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I was/am under the impression that a CCNA was a "must have". No matter what the circumstance was/is.

I have also notice that certs/experience differ in regions. In Salt Lake, my experience was enough. Consistent job at all times, only moving for "better" opportunity. After relocating to Nebraska, experience hasn't been enough, they want the paper proof.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I was/am under the impression that a CCNA was a "must have". No matter what the circumstance was/is.
    Where and how did you get this impression from. If you are, say a Solaris engineer, you dont need a CCNA to be looked at favourably. Similarly, if you're a Windows tech you dont need the CCNA. For sure it'll help you understand the networking concepts better, but saying it's a must have is just absurd.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Where and how did you get this impression from. If you are, say a Solaris engineer, you dont need a CCNA to be looked at favourably. Similarly, if you're a Windows tech you dont need the CCNA. For sure it'll help you understand the networking concepts better, but saying it's a must have is just absurd.
    It was a broad statement, and very narrow minded thinking. Having found this vast resource ( TE ), and spending the last 3 hours trolling, this site doesn't consist of just, and I don't want to say "the normal certifications".... being CompTIA, Cisco, MS... I have to think outside the box... And yes I agree, A LOT of professionals in our IT field(s) don't "need" CCNA to perform their duties, it just gives a better understanding. And that is where my thinking was wrong. IT as a whole, really is massive from SW to HW there are a 100 different jobs in between. My statement was incorrect.

I would have to agree with the CCNA being the most beneficial in knowledge as I have never read or watched any training on Net+ or A+ and I Just took the Practice exams and was pleasantly surprised at how much I all ready know from my previous study of the CCNA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), MCP, MCDST, MCITP: EST, MCTS: Vista
    Will I be able to get a better job if I get the CCNA certification with zero CCNA work experience?

My background is mostly help desk/desktop support/Jr. system administration.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCVP, CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA:W, CCDA, CNSS 4011, JNCIA JUNOS, JNCIS-M , ITILv3, Sec +
    ITIL v3...... Only kidding

I don't think its really one cert that has made it for me. Rather showing multiple certs from multiple vendors I think that is what will get you the interview and ultimately the job.

Alot of companies run several vendors when it comes to their I.T. equipment. So having knowledge in more than one area will be a huge Plus.
    Last edited by CCIEWANNABE; 09-02-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockets34Life View Post
    Will I be able to get a better job if I get the CCNA certification with zero CCNA work experience?

I think it depends on the job. Every guy working in that area started at some point. You just have to make sure you aren't just a paper CCNA but actually know what you are talking about. You might not get the proper experience from all that theory, but at least you should be able to talk about it in an interview.

Personally I see a lot of job offers here in the UK where they ask for experience in General, but CCNA is beneficial ... A lot of jobs here seem to require a CCNA in conjunction with any certification really. MCITP, VCP and the sorts, always seem to benefit from the CCNA on top of that.

Here an example:

Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockets34Life View Post

I think so to be honest. It's a very well respected certification in all the environments I have been apart of.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    I think it is important to remember that the CCNA is just a certification, that there's much more to getting a good job than passing it. I think the CCNA was instrumental for me like many others, but it was only something that allowed me to qualify for a position on paper, I had to do the talking to get the job.

cisco_trooper did a good article recently which kind of got the same message across:

http://cisco-ccie-certification.ipne...etworksllc.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCP, CCNA, CCNA:Voice, CCDA, CCDP, CCNP R/S, JNCIA, JNCIS
    CCNA was the best door opener for me, to be honest the Network+ did absolutely nothing for me career wise lol. Knowing a bunch of port numbers was pretty helpful though at times.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP Voice, CCNA Wireless
    The most success came from the "CCNA" certification. Without it I wouldn't have been able to take any of the other Cisco Partner specializations or meet prerequisites for training classes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sieff View Post
    The most success came from the "CCNA" certification. Without it I wouldn't have been able to take any of the other Cisco Partner specializations or meet prerequisites for training classes.
    THe CCNA is coming in strong. If I had to make an assumption off this small data set, I would lean towards the CCNA. Dare I say if all you get is a CCNA you could still be in a very good place.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    cne, mcse, scna, scsa, a+, net+, sec+
    mcse got me a promotion. nothing else really did much alone. security clearence would be a nice thing combined with sec+/cissp/some of the gov certs for security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    The CCIE. Although I haven't completed it the process has paid off in many ways in the field.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Artist's impression mikedisd2's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, Dipl.IT, 70-620, 70-647
    MCSE has been the one that kept on giving. I doubt I'd be anywhere without it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    CCNA helped to get me started in Networking field. CCNP helped to get better salary and become more marketable. It'll probably take me longer to go back to the bay area if I didn't have the NP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    My original NT4 MCSE. Completing that got me a 100% pay increase within 3 months. It has taken 12 years and a whole pile of other certifications to increase my pay another 100%. I studied biochemistry in college, so the MCSE was a way to prove to potential employers that I knew what I was doing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Certifications
    Security+, ITILv3 Foundation, CISSP, CISA, GCIA
    CISSP was what did the trick for me. I got a 27% raise after the annual reviews. As my manager told me during the annual review, "I saw a great improvement in your work items and the impact of your mentoring other employees while you were pursuing your certification." As other people have said, if you apply the knowledge you learned in obtaining a cert, people around you will notice!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    great thread
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    great thread

There have been some really awesome replies.

I've actually learned a lot from this post.

Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, Sec+, Server+, GreenIT, BTTC, MCITP: EDT7; EDA7, ITILF, 70-410, CCA XenDesktop 5.6
    This is a great thread. I want to double my salary in a year (currently 52) so I have to get started.

CCNA/VCP first I guess. Might skip microsoft all together
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    There have been some really awesome replies.

I've actually learned a lot from this post.

+1, kinda wild to see the overwhelming response of "CCNA."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. All Inclusive IT Joshuab009's Avatar

Certifications
    Network +, Security +, CASP, CCNA R/S, ITIL Foundation
    What an awesome thread. Great read.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    CEH, A+, Network+, Security+, CITAM, ITIL v3 Foundations
    A little late to the party I know, but I was recently offered a career boosting job based off my expereince in IT asset management. So, for me it's my CITAM (Certified IT Asset Manager).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by historian1974 View Post
    A little late to the party I know, but I was recently offered a career boosting job based off my expereince in IT asset management. So, for me it's my CITAM (Certified IT Asset Manager).
    That's an interesting certification

Did management steer you towards that certification or was that something you set out to achieve on your own?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks