+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, SSCP, MCSA: Windows 7/8/10, CASP, Net+, Security+, Server+, A+, Cloud+, Project+, Mobility+, ITIL Foundations, MOS: Excel, Outlook 2010
    Welcome back CyberCop123. First and foremost, very sorry to hear about the potential new job not working out. To have that happen and then go back to the networking chapters is almost double punishment. Then to have networking protocols and things you aren't familiar with, staring you in the face, is another "stick in the eye."

Coming from someone who put the test off numerous times, I totally get it. Keep powering thru the book and note your weak areas. After that, start taking both sets of practice exams [the actual book end of chapter tests & practice exams along with the Official Practice Tests exams too]. After reading the book and going thru those tests, you *should* be more than prepared.

Sounds like you are bit off your game at the moment. Get back to your routine and stay the course. You've got this!!! Once you get past the networking chapters, it is not bad. Heck, the Security Operations chapters are mostly subjects you've already seen. You'll get slowed down a bit by the software development security stuff but most of us do/did. You've got about 400 pages to go so you are getting there. Best of luck and keep us updated!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. K-9

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CySA+, Sec+, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, CCNA Cyber Ops, VCP-DCV, VCP-NV, MCP, and more
    Rejection during the job search is the worst part of getting a new job. Remember that it won't go on forever and that we all go through it. Don't let it tear you down. I know it is easy for me to say that. The blow to your gut is something I have felt and there is nothing I can say. I implore you to keep applying and keep studying.

I cannot tell you how many times I read and re-read the same books for those tough exams. The second or third time through the books/videos are when it all starts to make sense. Personally, I took some lower-tier cert exams to make sure I understood parts of the whole CISSP BOK. It helped me to get those small wins. Do what works for you and think outside the box.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    UPDATE

Well, after my good start earlier in the year, I gradually stopped studying and then numerous personal issues came up and I stopped entirely.

I was studying from the Sybex book, and read about 80% of it.
    I've left that now, and have gone to the Eric Conrad book, the larger one which is about 500 pages
    I have also booked my exam for 20th December!!!!! Crazy... but I felt I had to force myself to have a date to work to or else I will just coast or drift along

At present I am listening to the Cybrary MP3s - about 90 minutes per day during my commute.

I'm a bit torn about whether I should stop reading as thoroughly in some of the areas I know quite well. For example, networking. I know about 70% of the subject, but I feel like maybe I am going over this material too slowly or in too much detail.

Perhaps I should look more at the stuff like risk, threats and software lifecycles where I am very weak.

I'm going to take about 5-6 days holiday during the next 2 months to study and will also be doing the Boson questions and Sybex questions more and more as I approach exam time.

CONFIDENCE RATING: 39.4%
    DAYS TILL EXAM: 71

My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    in progress - Exam on 20th December

Possible Others: OSCE, MCSA

Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, CRISC, Sec+, CTPRP
    Conrad book is a good choice (at least it was for me). Will be watching this thread and look forward to hearing of your success.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF150 View Post
    Conrad book is a good choice (at least it was for me). Will be watching this thread and look forward to hearing of your success.
    Thanks FSF150... I like the fact it is more condensed and to the point, particularly as I have a good awareness of the material and I'm now just fine tuning and learning some of the core aspects in more detail.
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Novell CNA 5.0, MCP 70-210, Server+, Security+, Cloud+
    Maybe this will give you some motivation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whEWE6WC1Ew
    2018 goals -> PenTest+ Beta (failed), Linux+ Beta (pending results), CEH (mid Dec)
    2019 goals -> Linux+ 103/104 (Jan/Mar/Depends on Beta results), KLCP (June), RHCSA (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shochan View Post
    Maybe this will give you some motivation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whEWE6WC1Ew
    Haha, I've seen that before, always makes me laugh!

Is it really like that when you're CISSP certified?
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have no idea...I haven't reached that plateau.

Perhaps some CISSPers will chime in...lol
    2018 goals -> PenTest+ Beta (failed), Linux+ Beta (pending results), CEH (mid Dec)
    2019 goals -> Linux+ 103/104 (Jan/Mar/Depends on Beta results), KLCP (June), RHCSA (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Passion For IT

Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCop123 View Post
    Is it really like that when you're CISSP certified?
    Yes, it is. It's the same video I showed my boss when I ascended.

I had a few false starts, but once I booked the exam, I took ~2.5 months to just study. Listened to Kelly's MP3's, read the Sybex book, did the Boson practice tests. There were times where I felt everything I was reading or hearing was just review. I moved on from my strong points and focused on my weaker points and focused on those. I think that's a good approach.

Good luck! You'll do it and you'll post about your success!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    CSM, CSPO, ITIL-F
    That Video is funny like helll!!! gotta show this video to few of my colleagues.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Thanks everyone.

Well there's 70 days till exam. I'm listening to mp3s and doing 60-90 minutes reading per day.

However I have also booked 8 days off between now and 20th December. I will do 3-4 hours on those days off

This includes 5 days leave in early December so that's a nice solid chunk of work on learning.

Tonight I covered Arcnet, Token Ring, FDDI, Frame Relay, X.25, MPLS and converged protocols like DNP3, FCoE and iSCSI

I'm fairly technical and decent with networking but hadn't heard of most of this. That's what is surprising. Even my strong points are exposed on this exam!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    CITP | CISM | CIPM | CCSP | CCSKv4 | PMP | ISO21500 | VCP | ISO31000 | CSSGB | ISO13053
    There's no way stuff like Token Ring, frame relay and X.25 should be on a CISSP exam - brings me back to my CCIE days in 2001 decoding RIF tokens. You're best served coming up a level or two for this exam IMO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vCISO2017 View Post
    There's no way stuff like Token Ring, frame relay and X.25 should be on a CISSP exam - brings me back to my CCIE days in 2001 decoding RIF tokens. You're best served coming up a level or two for this exam IMO.
    Not sure what you mean...

The book goes over it, the podcasts do, and so do the test questions. I feel a bit uncomfortable ignoring content which is continually in my face
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    TEST ONE

68 Days from Exam Date
    Every Saturday Morning I am doing 100 BOSON Questions

WEEK ONE: 67%

Quite happy with that as I've only just started studying again. Annoyed with Domain 4 (Network Security) which I've been covering all week. Got 78% on that.

Domain 8 - Software Development I haven't studied at all so no surprise I failed that badly
    Domain 5 - Identity and Access Management - should do better there.

I will now move from Domain 4 (networks) to Domain 5 (Identity and Access Management)
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    67 Days to go

Annoying, thought I was all happy with Domain 4 (networks). Did 20 Sybex Questions this morning and got half of them wrong, 10/20! So frustrating.

I'm going to move on anyway as I can't re-read the exact same text at this moment in time. I need to look at fresh material and maybe in a month go back over the chapters that I'm weak on.
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat with Linux+ right now...I don't expect to pass this beta exam, but I have to attempt it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEH Ethical Hacker, Security+, ITIL Foundation + Intermediate
    I'm almost through my 1st run through on the Sybex book. Domain 8 this week to complete, then the 2nd run through I suppose.

I'm understanding the concepts, but retaining the concepts is my problem.....So when I go back later, ive forgotten alot. BCP is bugging me alot tbh and the formulae for SLE etc...
    CompTia Security+, EC CEH
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shochan View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat with Linux+ right now...I don't expect to pass this beta exam, but I have to attempt it.
    Good Luck with that. At least with Linux+ and those kind of certs, you can go hands-on and dive right in rather than just reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterHands View Post
    I'm almost through my 1st run through on the Sybex book. Domain 8 this week to complete, then the 2nd run through I suppose.

I'm understanding the concepts, but retaining the concepts is my problem.....So when I go back later, ive forgotten alot. BCP is bugging me alot tbh and the formulae for SLE etc...
    Yes exactly the same as me in both respects. I can understand but quickly forget. The amount of acronyms is ridiculous, sometimes for stupid stupid things.

The issue with the Sybex Questions is it covers material and things that are not in the Eric Conrad book (which I just switched over to). So I'm not sure how critical it is to know some of the material.
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    CITP | CISM | CIPM | CCSP | CCSKv4 | PMP | ISO21500 | VCP | ISO31000 | CSSGB | ISO13053
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in responding - the Cybersecurity company I work in has several CISSP's and they advised me as part of my ISC2 CCSP prep to not go into the weeds of specific topics rather have an overarching knowledge of the domains and keen ability to read and understand what is being asked in the questions. This worked for me hence the advice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vCISO2017 View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in responding - the Cybersecurity company I work in has several CISSP's and they advised me as part of my ISC2 CCSP prep to not go into the weeds of specific topics rather have an overarching knowledge of the domains and keen ability to read and understand what is being asked in the questions. This worked for me hence the advice.
    Thanks for explaining that, interesting to have your take on things. I can see your point, the more questions I do, and the more I get wrong I am starting to understand more about reading it in a different way.
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    UPDATE

Confidence Rating: 42.74%
    Days until Exam: 65

I have completely finished Domain 4 (networks and security) (NOTE: I am not studying domains in order). Some of the concepts are much clearer in my head, and I'm finding that listening to the MP3s repeatedly is helping. For example, I listen to the MP3s, read the book, listen again in the car ... do questions... find weak areas, listen again. It is helping to gradually learn the material.

I've nearly finished Domain 5 (Identity Management) and will then start Domain 6.

I just did 30 questions on Domain 5 and got 20/30 correct (not great...). I am finding the Eric Conrad book misses a fair amount out compared to the sybex book. I'm not sure if I'm missing key information or if it's good that I am not looking at unnecessary things... I think th

I am struggling with the sheer amount of acronyms still, and all the continual different technologies they are throwing at me.

My head is a mess thinking about:
    • PAP
    • CHAP
    • RADIUS
    • TACACS and TACACS+
    • DIAMETER
    • SEASAME
    • KERBEROS
    • LDAP
    • PPP
    • EAP, LEAP, PEAP
    • SLIP
    • PPTP
    • L2TP
    • IPSEC
    Etc.... the list goes on. I find it easy to get confused by which are VPN protocols, which is authentication, and just remembering where each of them sits. Also do they use TCP/UDP... are they good or bad... do they encrypt it all, or just some... it's messing completely with my head.

The test questions are helping though as I remember quite well what I get wrong in a question, so I'm doing between 20-40 questions per night. Usually 20 from a previous chapter, and 20 from the new one.

I am off work on Thursday - that is my first "study day". Hoping to do 4 solid hours. Saturday I will do another 100 BOSON questions.

Last edited by CyberCop123; Yesterday at 04:02 PM.
    My Aims
    COMPLETED

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks