+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    11
    #1

    Default Which training camp is good?

    Which training camp is good?

    My employer is paying, so I think it would be good to take one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    211
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SecurityMan9 View Post
    Which training camp is good?

    My employer is paying, so I think it would be good to take one.

    This is like saying which car is better. I have a loan from the bank.

    What kind of car?

    How much money did the bank lend you?

    What kind of car are you interested in?

    Do yourself a favor and substitute car for training. Do yourself a favor and substitute bank for employer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member cyberguypr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,309

    Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, GSTRT, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    #3
    Bigger question, gimme HP and torque on that vehicle before I make a decision

    Golden question for bootcamps, do you already have some experience in the subject matter covered in CISSP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    11
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberguypr View Post
    Bigger question, gimme HP and torque on that vehicle before I make a decision

    Golden question for bootcamps, do you already have some experience in the subject matter covered in CISSP?
    Yes, I have some experience in the CISSP subjects, so I'm looking for more a review, or some material on exam topics I haven't worked with before. Rather than a start from scratch boot camp.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Scruffy-looking nerfherdr tedjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Surf City, TX
    Posts
    829

    Certifications
    SSCP, Security+, eJPT +4
    #5
    Bootcamps can be extremely pricey (i.e., overpriced). Some of them just teach you how to take the test and send you on your way. Think about whether you can get what you want through self-study via study guides, YouTube, Cybrary, etc., for a lot less money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    538

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #6
    Use this money to go to another training... something more specialized than CISSP. CISSP is well covered by books,CBT and other means. Ask to go to a SANS event, or least something that you can't get with 2 Google search. Sorry by CISSP is not an exam that should be "crammed" at least if you really want a career in IT Sec
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    11
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tedjames View Post
    Bootcamps can be extremely pricey (i.e., overpriced). Some of them just teach you how to take the test and send you on your way. Think about whether you can get what you want through self-study via study guides, YouTube, Cybrary, etc., for a lot less money.
    They may be pricey but even if they help you get 1 or 2 questions right, and you just pass by 1 question, is it worth it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    538

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SecurityMan9 View Post
    They may be pricey but even if they help you get 1 or 2 questions right, and you just pass by 1 question, is it worth it?
    IMHO, no. it is not worth the 3-4K$ + expense for a bootcamp.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    11
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    IMHO, no. it is not worth the 3-4K$ + expense for a bootcamp.
    L'argent n'est pas un objet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Scruffy-looking nerfherdr tedjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Surf City, TX
    Posts
    829

    Certifications
    SSCP, Security+, eJPT +4
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SecurityMan9 View Post
    L'argent n'est pas un objet.
    As SteveLavoie said, SANS is the way to go. Sure, the courses run in the neighborhood of $5000 each, but not only will you learn so much more than an average bootcamp, you'll also have a certification that is very well respected in the security community. I wish my agency had the budget to send our team to SANS training.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    538

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SecurityMan9 View Post
    L'argent n'est pas un objet.
    Du Quebec?

    Even if it is not your money, I don't think it is a good idea. Maybe, it is because I am working in a SMB where I can talk to the one footing the bill, but I prefer to ask him money for thing that really worth it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks