Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows, WPF

Default How much does best buy pay their geek squad?

Just curious. I know there's different ranks in the geek squad, but can anyone share how much they actually make?

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, DHTI+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MCP,MCTS,MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA:Security, CISSP
    My buddy works for Best Buy and I guess he is making 10 per hour as an in store tech... In house Tech (ones that drive the cars and go to a customers house) start around 16....

There is of course teh senior techs... In store I think makes around 12 per hour to start....

I can confirm more of this at a later time when I talk to my friend.... This information probably changes based on location as well...

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA/MCSE 2003, CCENT, ITIL, MCDST, A+, Network+, I-Net+, Server+, Security+, DHTI+, CIW-A, Dell, HP, Avaya Basic Administration, B.S. in MIS
    16 bucks is not too bad to drive around to people's houses.

5. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, DHTI+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MCP,MCTS,MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA:Security, CISSP
    I used to do a business on the side where my buddy and I would go to customers homes and work on their computers....

I found that I hated when the customer is standing over your shoulder watching you.... Especially for problems where the hardware is damaged beyond repair and they act like you don't know what your doing because you can't fix it without telling them you need to order a new part.

I think they want you to at least have an A+ cert for the in house tech job....

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, XP, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Megadeth is pretty much correct with pricing.
    There are many threads posted about this topic. Just search for geek squad, to even get more info about it.
    Good luck

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, CCNA, MCP (270), MCDST, CIW Associate, CST, CWS, CNST, SCJP, B.S. in CS
    Ok, I must clear this all up.

A COA is someone in the store who makes phone calls to customers, handles incoming calls, and pushes paperwork. I guess they are now also dealing with digital cameras and iPods etc. Not really a tech job.

An in-store tech (called a CIA) makes about $11.05/hr without A+.
    No, they will not give you a raise or pay you more if you have A+.
    You can have CCIE, CISSP, RHCE, and MCSE and they won't pay you a cent more.
    The CIA-senior and CIA-supervisor (called a DCI) MUST have A+.
    A CIA-senior position is a horrible job. You will not work on PCs, you will get all the angry customers to stop harrassing your techs and deal with angry people on the phone.
    A DCI position is unattainable unless you have previous work on Geek Squad.

The next level up, a Cadet, is a better-paid job. They do in-store work, and do some field work. A cadet is not required to hold any certification, but instead must be a good salesman. Able to sell PCs, accessories, etc. and must be able to go to someone's house and perform the necessary work. A Cadet is also called a "Double Agent in Training"

A Double Agent, is a field work position. Almost NO time will be spent in the store. Instead, you make about 4 in-home calls a day or so. You must also spend some time "on-call". While on call a Double Agent must have a phone, and a laptop with internet access at all times and may not leave the area. If you end up talking on the phone with Mission Control (people who work wiht field agents) for more than 2 minutes, you get paid for an hour. (These are the guys with the badges)

A Special Agent is a Double Agent but who can also perform work to servers and will typically work with business customers with Best Buy for Business accounts. A Special Agent must at least have MCSE and CCNA. As a Special Agent, you may be required to be available on a 24 hour basis. (Also has a badge)

A Precinct Chief is a position only offered in free-standing Geek Squad locations. About the same as a DCI (Has a badge)

And then there is the almighty Secret Agent, who goes one month long assignments. (Such as recently when U2 went on tour, there were a few Secret Agents with them) They were responsible for managing communications for the band on their tour. Most Secret Agents are Special Agents that get recuited for this task and become a Secret Agent.

Pay Rates:
    COA - $8-$9/hr
    CIA - $11-$12/hr
    CIA-senior - $12-$14/hr
    DCI - I believe about $18 - $20/hr
    Cadet - $14-$15/hr
    Double Agent - $16-$22/hr
    Special Agent - $25/hr +
    Secret Agent - no idea but i can assure you they are well fed.

Hope this helps.

8. Member

Certifications
    MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CIW-A, Linux+, Server+, Security+, Project+, iNet+, Network+, A+, MCP
    lol these ranks are ridiculously funny

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows, WPF
    Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I'm trying to guage how much I'm making as a tech for a small company. In addition to my certifications I also hold a BA in computer science, and according to my current employer who pulled me in full time after a 3-month contract, asking for more than $25k/yr would be "pricing myself out of my own market". $25k equates to roughly $12/hr.

Needless to say I'm not planning on hanging around for very long. Plus I'm a programmer at heart anyways. I was just desperate to get my foot in the door.

10. Security Tinkerer

Certifications
    CISSP,,CCSP,CNSS-4013+4011,MCT MCSA2K3,CWNA MCSE2K3:Sec LPT ECSA CEH CHFI,CCNA CS-CFW, CCIE-Sec/Written, etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by mvastarelli
    Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I'm trying to guage how much I'm making as a tech for a small company. In addition to my certifications I also hold a BA in computer science, and according to my current employer who pulled me in full time after a 3-month contract, asking for more than $25k/yr would be "pricing myself out of my own market". $25k equates to roughly $12/hr.

Needless to say I'm not planning on hanging around for very long. Plus I'm a programmer at heart anyways. I was just desperate to get my foot in the door.
    It'll depend on other things such as how much experience you have, the area you live and work in, and what qualifications you have, but honestly I think 25k is a little low no matter where you are. A good quick and dirty check would be to go to careerbuilder, dice and monster and do a job search for your area. Compare what the current salary offerings in your area are to 25k. I have a feeling you just might be surprised.

11. Member

Certifications
    A couple.. and a lot to take that it gives me a friggin headache!
    Quote Originally Posted by NPA24
    16 bucks is not too bad to drive around to people's houses.
    Not bad for a part time rate where do i sign up? All I do is drive around people's houses aight? Can I ram the car to their garage as well??

12. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar

Certifications
    The ones who drive to peoples houses ect are full time only according to my buddy and you are "on call".

"Crap I forgot my old pwd" seems to have a lot more info than I do about it.

Although this is good stuff to know incase I do want to ever take on a second job part time myself.

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CST CNST
    [quote]COA - $8-$9/hr
    CIA - $11-$12/hr
    CIA-senior - $12-$14/hr
    Cadet - $14-$15/hr
    Special Agent - $25/hr +
    Secret Agent - no idea but i can assure you they are well fed. [quote]

What qualifications and/or experience is required for anything double agent or higher?

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CST CNST
    ignore my last post...i didnt look up...sorry!

15. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crap I forgot my old pwd View Post
    Ok, I must clear this all up.

A COA is someone in the store who makes phone calls to customers, handles incoming calls, and pushes paperwork. I guess they are now also dealing with digital cameras and iPods etc. Not really a tech job.

An in-store tech (called a CIA) makes about $11.05/hr without A+.
    No, they will not give you a raise or pay you more if you have A+.
    You can have CCIE, CISSP, RHCE, and MCSE and they won't pay you a cent more.
    The CIA-senior and CIA-supervisor (called a DCI) MUST have A+.
    A CIA-senior position is a horrible job. You will not work on PCs, you will get all the angry customers to stop harrassing your techs and deal with angry people on the phone.
    A DCI position is unattainable unless you have previous work on Geek Squad.

The next level up, a Cadet, is a better-paid job. They do in-store work, and do some field work. A cadet is not required to hold any certification, but instead must be a good salesman. Able to sell PCs, accessories, etc. and must be able to go to someone's house and perform the necessary work. A Cadet is also called a "Double Agent in Training"

A Double Agent, is a field work position. Almost NO time will be spent in the store. Instead, you make about 4 in-home calls a day or so. You must also spend some time "on-call". While on call a Double Agent must have a phone, and a laptop with internet access at all times and may not leave the area. If you end up talking on the phone with Mission Control (people who work wiht field agents) for more than 2 minutes, you get paid for an hour. (These are the guys with the badges)

A Special Agent is a Double Agent but who can also perform work to servers and will typically work with business customers with Best Buy for Business accounts. A Special Agent must at least have MCSE and CCNA. As a Special Agent, you may be required to be available on a 24 hour basis. (Also has a badge)

A Precinct Chief is a position only offered in free-standing Geek Squad locations. About the same as a DCI (Has a badge)

And then there is the almighty Secret Agent, who goes one month long assignments. (Such as recently when U2 went on tour, there were a few Secret Agents with them) They were responsible for managing communications for the band on their tour. Most Secret Agents are Special Agents that get recuited for this task and become a Secret Agent.

Pay Rates:
    COA - $8-$9/hr
    CIA - $11-$12/hr
    CIA-senior - $12-$14/hr
    Cadet - $14-$15/hr
    Special Agent - $25/hr +
    Secret Agent - no idea but i can assure you they are well fed.

Hope this helps.
    I am starting my own little computer repair company....?

#2 QUESTIONS does the geek squads kids pays their gasoline?what happens if the ran over a pedestrian who gets SUED

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickItaly View Post
    what happens if the ran over a pedestrian who gets SUED
    Well, that's typically worth 100 points, but there are various multipliers that can affect the overall score, such as if the person was pushing a stroller or was in a wheelchair.

17. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST EMT-B MPSC Security+
    10x bonus if it is a group of teenagers and 100x bonuses if it is a group of kids under 10...
    WIP:
    Securitytube Python Scripting Expert
    MS in Applied Computer Science - DSU - Applying

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. Tech Management, Network+, Server+, 70-680, 70-620, JNCIA-Junos
    Quote Originally Posted by kimanyd View Post
    Well, that's typically worth 100 points, but there are various multipliers that can affect the overall score, such as if the person was pushing a stroller or was in a wheelchair.
    What if it's an older lady in a wheel chair who happens to be pushing a stroller and the baby lands on a triple word score (uninjured, of course)?

Certifications
    CCENT, Network+, Security+
    And the post takes a turn for the worst.

Certifications
    MCTS, MCP, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by kimanyd View Post
    Nominated for best post ever.

21. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar

Certifications
    What a way for a more than 3 year old thread to be revived!

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA:Voice/Sec, MCSE: Sec, VCP and some other random ones
    Lol! That had my crying, "100 points" Ha!
    -Daniel

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    What's really sad about it, though, is that the wages for Geek Squad Agents have not changed really in those three years!

Dynamik, how much did you have to pay to get such a fan club? I mean so many lols over the point system? That's like a standard joke and they rofl like you are a 20 year old hot chick whose g-string is showing!

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, CCNA, CCNA:V, CCNA:S, MCSA 2K3, Wireless#, CEH, CISSP
    That still isn't bad pay though.

Anyone else have the misfortune of drawing mental images while reading/listening?

25. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    Dynamik, how much did you have to pay to get such a fan club? I mean so many lols over the point system? That's like a standard joke and they rofl like you are a 20 year old hot chick whose g-string is showing!
    I was thinking the same thing....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    That still isn't bad pay though.

Anyone else have the misfortune of drawing mental images while reading/listening?
    I don't know... I could not live off of $12/hr, which is relatively high for their in-store techs.

Glad my post was so vivid for you... The thought of Andrew in a g-string does turn my stomach a bit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks