+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default student loan question...

I'm finishing up application process for WGU. (Will hopefully start 08-01-15) I will be doing student loan. I work fulltime and have a house. I do not currently have any student loan debt, so was curious if your current student loan shows up on your credit report while you are going to school?

I am going to look into refinancing mortgage to lower rate, but was not sure if you just "started" a student loan balance...ie going to school and taking student loans...if that shows up on credit report, or only once you are done going to school.

I have looked all over but can't seem to find the answer. Curious if anyone here knows.

thanks,
    JP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member
    Typically, yes. Any loan you take out will show up on your credit report after some time. Student loans tend to be semester-based, so you'll likely see it pop up on a credit report at some point during that semester.

Here's the thing though -- your ability to refinance is more about your monthly payment obligations and less about the sum of dollars you owe. As you will be a fulltime student, your loans will be deferred with a $0 minimum payment. This will not negatively impact you much, if at all, in the decision process.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, GIAC G2700, VCP5-DCV C|EH, ISC2 CISSP, AWS-SAP (Most have Expired)
    Some banks will consider your graduation date.If you are 6 months from completing your degree they could possibly include that in your DTI.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Alphabet-soup
    Yes they will show up immediately. As others mentioned the mortgage companies look at your monthly payments. The mortgage company I'm buying through right now requires a deferment of 1 yr from closing in order for them not to count it. Since the loan has to be processed 1 month prior to closing that means a deferment of at least 13 months, and the loan company currently holding my wife's student loans only defers them 6 months at a time, pending her full-time student status.

Basically they will be counted against you. The good news is that loans are usually issued out on a semester basis. If you're refinancing soon, you'll have the repayment of the first semesters loan count against you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks