+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12 3456 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 139
  1. Member Rumblr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    98

    Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF150 View Post
    I did the organization, because I work at a company with excellent resources for information. I'm a neophyte so I'm learning as much (or more) from interviewing coworkers for the assignments as I am from class.

    I'd go industry if I didn't have the same level of resources at my job, since you'll be doing a lot more external stuff anyway in that case. The prompts for each paper are tailored to the direction you chose.
    FSF150, If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you currently work in? I work for a retail company and I do have resources available to me at work, but I decided it would benefit me more professionally if I did the Retail Services industry as a whole.

    By the way, I was also in the Navy from 2002-2010. I look forward to starting classes on March 7 and meeting you all in June 2017.
    Last edited by Rumblr33; 02-21-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblr33 View Post
    FSF150, If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you currently work in? I work for a retail company and I do have resources available to me at work, but I decided it would benefit me more professionally if I did the Retail Services industry as a whole.

    By the way, I was also in the Navy from 2002-2010. I look forward to starting classes on March 7 and meeting you all in June 2017.
    Very cool. '07-'12 here, '12-'15 as reserves. MA type. May go back reserves if they'll direct commission me on the IT side. Maybe.

    I work for company that offers an online payments/accounting platform. Small, but they're very serious about the InfoSec side as it is necessary to drive business relationships with financial firms who are subject to strict regulations in that area. Most of our IT team was poached from IT in very different fields, so it just seemed to make sense to focus on my own organization. I don't think there's a bad choice between the two.

    I think we'll have to plan a "Team TechExams" meetup in June, for sure!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Member Rumblr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    98

    Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    #28
    About to embark on the Foundations and Historical Underpinnings of Information Assurance next week. I am currently trying to get a head start on a few things. How is the progress for my fellow Norwich students? What are the concentrations you all decided choose?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Professional Power Cycler testing010101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    22

    Certifications
    Network+, Security+, ACE, CEH, GCFE
    #29
    This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all who have posted. I seriously considered Norwich for quite sometime but I was less interested in theory/writing and more interested in practical application so I decided to go with Champlain College's MS in Information Security Operations program.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,955

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCSP, eJPT, ITIL,PA ACE,Qualys Certified Specialist, A+
    #30
    Just to have a clear understanding, how many pages is a 10k, 20k paper? I've been researching school too and would like to apply to some that are accepting certifications or work experience in place of gmat, gre or gpa.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFORCE View Post
    Just to have a clear understanding, how many pages is a 10k, 20k paper? I've been researching school too and would like to apply to some that are accepting certifications or work experience in place of gmat, gre or gpa.
    You will probably use Times New Roman 12 point. My final paper for my first class, including cover sheet, table of contents, executive summary, appendix of recommendations, references, etc., came to 25 pages, and my word count was 6940, so I was just under the 7k minimum. They give you plus/minus 100 words, though, so that was ok.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #32
    I'm waiting on the final grades for my second seminar (Information Assurance Technology), and I'm about to start the third seminar (Human Factors and Managing Risk). Every class so far has followed the same format. The only difference is the number of labs that you have to do. Here's my deliverable schedule for the next seminar:

    Week 01: Substantive forum posts, Lab 01
    Week 02: Substantive forum posts, Lab 02, Research Paper 01 Outline
    Week 03: Substantive forum posts, Lab 03, Research Paper 01 (2k words)
    Week 04: Substantive forum posts, Lab 04
    Week 05: Substantive forum posts, Lab 05, Research Paper 02 Outline
    Week 06: Substantive forum posts, Lab 06, Research Paper 02 (2k words)
    Week 07: Substantive forum posts, Lab 07, Exam 01 (2k words) (it's basically just another paper, but in memo format w/o references)
    Week 08: Substantive forum posts, Lab 08, Final Paper Outline (they skip the outline for Research Paper 03)
    Week 09: Substantive forum posts, Lab 09, Research Paper 03 (2k words)
    Week 10: Substantive forum posts, Lab 10, Exam 02 (2k words) (same caveat)
    Week 11: Final paper (7k-10k words)

    It's worth noting that this is my first seminar to have a lab every week. The first two had maybe 5 or 6 labs total.

    I should get my final grade today for the seminar I just finished. I'll post it when I know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by testing010101 View Post
    This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all who have posted. I seriously considered Norwich for quite sometime but I was less interested in theory/writing and more interested in practical application so I decided to go with Champlain College's MS in Information Security Operations program.
    I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #34
    Got a 90% on the final paper. IMO, the professor took it very easy on me. The content of the papers seems to matter much more than the actual word count so far, which I'm grateful for.

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcrowmoon View Post
    I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.
    I plan to do the same after graduation. My concentration is pen testing, so the timing should be right. Many of our InfoSec team have recently completed it here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblr33 View Post
    About to embark on the Foundations and Historical Underpinnings of Information Assurance next week. I am currently trying to get a head start on a few things. How is the progress for my fellow Norwich students? What are the concentrations you all decided choose?
    I originally chose cyber crime / critical infrastructure, but due to resources available at work switched to vulnerability management. It looks like six months of (possibly brutal) fun. Your concentration isn't set in stone until shortly before your final two classes begin, so don't sweat it too much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #35
    Survived the first paper of IA Tech. How's everyone else doing?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member dmoore44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    627

    Certifications
    Security+, CISSP, CEH
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcrowmoon View Post
    I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.
    I wish there was a Blue Team cert similar to OSCP. I'm not as interested in Red Team... at least not interested enough to pursue a cert as rigorous as OSCP when I don't every really plan to go down that career path.
    Enrolled
    Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance

    Currently Reading

    School Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #37
    I just turned in my first paper for GI532 Human Factors & Managing Risk. The professor for this one is so much better than my Info Ass Tech seminar. I pulled my A for it, but it was such a pain in the butt.

    My current scorecard:
    GI512A Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass - A
    GI522L Info Ass Tech - A
    GI532A Human Factors & Managing Risk - in progress
    Info Ass Mgmt & Analytics - TBD
    Computer Security Incident Response Team Management - TBD
    Computer Forensic Investigation - TBD

    I'm trying to study up for the CISM as well. I take that exam on June 11th. So much to do, so little time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Member Rumblr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    98

    Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    #38
    I just submitted my first paper for Foundations and Historical Underpinnnings of IA. The content is very good and getting classmates to become more involved with the discussions are fun. Feels like time is flying. Already looking forward to June 2017. Also trying to see if I can squeeze some SANS training out of my employer between now and then.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #39
    Definitely planning to take advantage of the VMware licensing. Last week was a busy week and I started the lab too late - this one was the first that was an assignment instead of the JBL lab. They basically snuck another paper in.

    Oh well, plan ahead and read the assignments. Is everyone planning to do the CISSP review? I'm thinking early 2017 during the electives may be the best time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF150 View Post
    Definitely planning to take advantage of the VMware licensing. Last week was a busy week and I started the lab too late - this one was the first that was an assignment instead of the JBL lab. They basically snuck another paper in.

    Oh well, plan ahead and read the assignments. Is everyone planning to do the CISSP review? I'm thinking early 2017 during the electives may be the best time.
    I've got my CISSP so no worries there, but I'm definitely grabbing the VMWare licensing. I'm in the third class now - Human Factors and Managing Risk - and ALL of the labs so far have been written. I've completed 5/10 of them. You're right, it's essentially another paper. :P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcrowmoon View Post
    I've got my CISSP so no worries there, but I'm definitely grabbing the VMWare licensing. I'm in the third class now - Human Factors and Managing Risk - and ALL of the labs so far have been written. I've completed 5/10 of them. You're right, it's essentially another paper. :P
    Yeah, I honestly ragequit on that "lab" and submitted it half done (just answered the direct questions, skipped the "discuss this, discuss that"). The DoD site navigation brought out my inner demons - that's part of the USN I don't miss!

    This class so far looks like a reversal of my previous class, I'm looking forward to the papers themselves (the prompts are clearer, I believe, with better guidance), and the week-to-week stuff less so. Last class I loved the labs more than anything else.

    Onward!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member Rumblr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    98

    Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    #42
    How is everyone's progress? I am cruising. Doing assignments at the beginning of the week have helped me tremendously. I am curious to see where this will lead me once I have completed the degree. Hope it's going well for everyone. Week 7 in Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass, almost done with this course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblr33 View Post
    How is everyone's progress? I am cruising. Doing assignments at the beginning of the week have helped me tremendously. I am curious to see where this will lead me once I have completed the degree. Hope it's going well for everyone. Week 7 in Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass, almost done with this course.
    I'm doing well enough, job situation changed recently so I'm moving to a industry case study rather than employer mid-seminar (always fun).

    I, too, am trying to start the assignments early. Still have had my share of 11:54PM submissions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19
    #44
    Hello,

    Thanks for you post which helped me in exploring Norwich University and Champlain College MSISO program. I have applied to both the institutions for summer term and waiting for a decision. Since you are already studying at Champlain college in MSISO program, I would appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the courses and program in general.

    Feel free to email me at nikhil@healthyit.ca

    Thanks
    Nik
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19
    #45
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcrowmoon View Post
    I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Hello,

    Thanks for you post which helped me in exploring Norwich University and Champlain College MSISO program. I have applied to both the institutions for summer term and waiting for a decision. Since you are already studying at Champlain college in MSISO program, I would appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the courses and program in general.

    Feel free to email me at nikhil@healthyit.ca

    Thanks
    Nik
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19
    #46
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA and Champlain College MSISO.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by nikgenius View Post
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA and Champlain College MSISO.
    All I can tell you is that I've been very happy with the Norwich program so far. The faculty and the people who run the MSISA program are extremely responsive.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    #48
    Well, finishing up another semester. Unfortunately, due to a layoff and subsequent job hunt I've given less attention to this semester than I would have liked. Still enjoyed the class and learned some more things. The Toolwire labs are still my favorite part. With the volume of papers I do sometimes feel as if I'm writing the same paper 3 times with minor differences, but you're learning something new each time and definitely hammering the learning objectives of each class home.

    Everyone doing well? The fact that I'm in this program at all has already helped bring some positive attention on the job hunt! Still very glad I chose this route.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member fullcrowmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    169

    Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    #49
    All I have left for my third seminar is the final paper. I'm looking forward to being halfway done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Member Rumblr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    98

    Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    #50
    I have a test aka another paper to write and my final 7000-10000 word paper. Looking forward to the next class.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12 3456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks