Anyone heading to Residency this june?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeuptilit View Post
    Anyone heading to Residency this june?
    I think we're all scheduled for the 2017 one. Give us a report if you're going!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MSM-Proj.Mgmt., MSM-Info.Sys.Sec., ITIL Foun., ITIL SOA, CISSP, CISM
    I finished the third core class, and now I'm busy second-guessing my concentration choice while I have a two-week break. Here's the link to the curriculum. Give me y'all's thoughts on the available concentrations:

http://online.norwich.edu/degree-pro...nce/curriculum

Current scorecard:
    GI512A Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass - A
    GI522L Info Ass Tech - A
    GI532A Human Factors & Managing Risk - A
    GI542L Info Ass Mgmt & Analytics - in progress
    GI554A Computer Security Incident Response Team Management - TBD
    GI551L Computer Forensic Investigation - TBD
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Honestly I think CSIRT Management is a great class for a future CISO. I'd like to do your concentration AND the Vulnerability Management one. I went with vulnerability management just because I think it's a great opportunity to learn that kind of stuff and launchpad into OSCP.

How was human factors? Please tell me you got to rant about lusers for three months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF150 View Post
    Honestly I think CSIRT Management is a great class for a future CISO. I'd like to do your concentration AND the Vulnerability Management one. I went with vulnerability management just because I think it's a great opportunity to learn that kind of stuff and launchpad into OSCP.

How was human factors? Please tell me you got to rant about lusers for three months.
    Basically, yeah. But there was also a lot about risk assessment and management, for when the users don't adore your brand spanking new Security Training and Awareness Program. :P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    I am thinking about changing my concentration too. I currently want to complete the Vulnerability Management concentration, but I work on the Incident Response team. FullCrowMoon, I would say it ultimately depends on how you want your career to continue to progress. You are half way there. Almost done. By the way, how is the Information Assurance Technology course? I have this one starting on June 6th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblr33 View Post
    I am thinking about changing my concentration too. I currently want to complete the Vulnerability Management concentration, but I work on the Incident Response team. FullCrowMoon, I would say it ultimately depends on how you want your career to continue to progress. You are half way there. Almost done. By the way, how is the Information Assurance Technology course? I have this one starting on June 6th.
    Since you work incident response you'll probably have a better time with IA Tech than I did. I'm a policy guy, so it took more reading for me to stay on top of things (and frankly I never quite figured out where I was going with the final paper). If you're familiar with designing and defending a network perimeter you'll be a step ahead of me.

I lost access to my work resources halfway through and that was like running headlong into a brick wall. They knew their stuff and could break it down barney style for me, so they were a big help for the first part. You shouldn't have that problem.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Enjoying human factors so far. Labs have been nixed for this class, from all the feedback that seems to be a good decision. Guess I'll need to make sure my papers are up to par.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Enjoying human factors so far. Labs have been nixed for this class, from all the feedback that seems to be a good decision. Guess I'll need to make sure my papers are up to par.
    I had 10 labs when I took Human Factors, which was the last seminar I completed. I hope it was my feedback that nixed the labs. They were inaccurate and annoying, plus searching on just about any phrase brought you to all kinds of cheat sites with answers for the various labs. It was crazy and I told them so.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcrowmoon View Post
    I had 10 labs when I took Human Factors, which was the last seminar I completed. I hope it was my feedback that nixed the labs. They were inaccurate and annoying, plus searching on just about any phrase brought you to all kinds of cheat sites with answers for the various labs. It was crazy and I told them so.
    The professor seems to have agreed with you. Again, my thanks to you both.

The cheat sites are all over the place, it seems that those labs are pretty common in undergrad programs. The ones I ran into were rarely answered at a graduate level (if correctly at all) so that limits the impact on Norwich, I think.

How's analytics?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The professor seems to have agreed with you. Again, my thanks to you both.

The cheat sites are all over the place, it seems that those labs are pretty common in undergrad programs. The ones I ran into were rarely answered at a graduate level (if correctly at all) so that limits the impact on Norwich, I think.

How's analytics?
    I can't really say as yet, because I spent the first two weeks of it traveling - first a boot camp for the CISM exam that I took on June 11th and am praying I passed, and then work travel in Atlanta the very next week. The professor seems nice, but I've got some catch up to do before I write my first paper that's due Saturday. So far it's a lot of compliance - HIPAA, SOX, FISMA - if it's got an acronym and has a lot of annoying rules, it's there. I hope the entire class isn't like that!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S.- ITM, Security+, HDI-SCA, C|EH, GCIH
    Anyone else notice the due dates of the paper's change from Sunday at 11:55pm to Saturday at 11:55pm? My current Instructor told us not to worry about it and he would allow them to be due on Sunday. I am in the Information Technology class right now. Great to see everyone just plugging away and getting this MSISA completed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblr33 View Post
    Anyone else notice the due dates of the paper's change from Sunday at 11:55pm to Saturday at 11:55pm? My current Instructor told us not to worry about it and he would allow them to be due on Sunday. I am in the Information Technology class right now. Great to see everyone just plugging away and getting this MSISA completed.
    I think all of my classes so far have followed a Sun-Sat week with grading, at least with the dropbox deadlines. I'm not sure if every professor handles it a bit differently or what.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    For some reason, the first half of my third seminar (Human Factors and Managing Risk) had Sunday due dates. Norwich changed that and said it had been a mistake. I think Saturday due dates are the norm.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    For some reason, the first half of my third seminar (Human Factors and Managing Risk) had Sunday due dates. Norwich changed that and said it had been a mistake. I think Saturday due dates are the norm.
    Yeah, now that I think about it there was one week where we had an exam AND a lab due. I was certain the due date was 11:55 Sunday. Reeeeallly glad I double checked that Saturday evening. Still made for an unpleasant few hours.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    A+ CE, Security+ CE, GSEC, GCIH
    I've been reading through this thread to get some info on Norwich after my rejection from Penn State. It looks a little less technical than what I was looking for originally, but does this program go pretty far in prepping you for the CISSP? I thought I read somewhere on these forums that it does, but I really don't know much about the school, so I'm digging for info. It does seem like its a ton of writing for sure. I'm looking for alternatives to Penn State now, especially since I don't have a reason for the rejection to make adjustments and improvements on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by globalenjoi View Post
    I've been reading through this thread to get some info on Norwich after my rejection from Penn State. It looks a little less technical than what I was looking for originally, but does this program go pretty far in prepping you for the CISSP? I thought I read somewhere on these forums that it does, but I really don't know much about the school, so I'm digging for info. It does seem like its a ton of writing for sure. I'm looking for alternatives to Penn State now, especially since I don't have a reason for the rejection to make adjustments and improvements on.
    You have the option to sign up for a CISSP class to run concurrently with another seminar if you want, I"ll do that during my electives. I've only completed half of the core right now, but I wouldn't expect to be prepared for CISSP just off of the core material. We'll see what fullcrowmoon says, though, she's actually got the cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    When I applied to Norwich I was told they preferred for you to have the CISSP already. Some of the stuff covered in the 4 core classes relates to the CISSP, but I wouldn't depend on it for your only resource unless you've got a really strong technical background. I do have a technical background so I studied on my own for about 4 months and then took a week-long boot camp that included the exam, and I passed.

In other news, I took the CISM on June 11th and have no idea whether I passed or not. Nail-biting has commenced.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    When I applied to Norwich I was told they preferred for you to have the CISSP already. Some of the stuff covered in the 4 core classes relates to the CISSP, but I wouldn't depend on it for your only resource unless you've got a really strong technical background. I do have a technical background so I studied on my own for about 4 months and then took a week-long boot camp that included the exam, and I passed.

In other news, I took the CISM on June 11th and have no idea whether I passed or not. Nail-biting has commenced.
    I really hope ISACA moves to computer-based by the time I sit for CISA. Good luck to you - can't imagine CISM would be much more brutal than CISSP. Is it a more policy-based than technical test?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The CISM was far less technical than the CISSP, so that's something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member

Certifications
    Sec+,Net+, CISSP
    I think we're all scheduled for the 2017 one. Give us a report if you're going!
    Sorry for the late reply, I attended the residency about two weeks ago. It was really awesome! Meeting everyone and networking, it really made you feel like a part of Norwich, instead of just being an online student. I was also able to attend a hackathon which was ran by one of the forensics/incident response professors and that was also an incredible learning experience. I've been told that it will be at next years as well, I highly recommend signing up for it. I'm about 5 weeks into my last class (Vulnerability Management II) and have been very happy with my norwich experience. If anyone has any questions about residency or the VM focus please feel free to ask!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sorry for the late reply, I attended the residency about two weeks ago. It was really awesome! Meeting everyone and networking, it really made you feel like a part of Norwich, instead of just being an online student. I was also able to attend a hackathon which was ran by one of the forensics/incident response professors and that was also an incredible learning experience. I've been told that it will be at next years as well, I highly recommend signing up for it. I'm about 5 weeks into my last class (Vulnerability Management II) and have been very happy with my norwich experience. If anyone has any questions about residency or the VM focus please feel free to ask!
    I'm going with Computer Forensics/Incident Response, but I'd really like to hear details about the Vulnerability Mgmt concentration. I'd love to do both, but I'm uncertain about committing to that much work. Talk to me!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    I'm almost too excited for the vulnerability management classes, it's making me view the core as the slog I need to make it through for the fun stuff.

Yes - I'd love to hear about them. Do they follow a similar format to the other classes, or are they more lab-oriented, less writing? What was your background going in, and did you have trouble keeping up or was it a good crawl-walk-run kind of deal?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member

Certifications
    Sec+,Net+, CISSP
    I'm going with Computer Forensics/Incident Response, but I'd really like to hear details about the Vulnerability Mgmt concentration. I'd love to do both, but I'm uncertain about committing to that much work. Talk to me!
    That's an excellent idea! I signed up for the hackathon at Residency which was lead by the professor that runs that concentration. He gave us a crash course on forensics after we finished early and he is a really really good instructor. VM has been a good concentration, I've learned a ton about metasploit and how to conduct a penetration test, from paperwork to executing the test to the report, it's been really cool.

I'm almost too excited for the vulnerability management classes, it's making me view the core as the slog I need to make it through for the fun stuff.

Yes - I'd love to hear about them. Do they follow a similar format to the other classes, or are they more lab-oriented, less writing? What was your background going in, and did you have trouble keeping up or was it a good crawl-walk-run kind of deal?
    One of the main reasons I decided with VM is the lack of long writing assignments. There is only one per class and it's not difficult at all, it's about penetration testing, besides that they're are not papers. It's very much lab oriented, you get connections to VMs that run Metasploit and other type of vulnerability management related tools. My background, I have about 3 years direct info-sec experience and CISSP,SEC+. I'm currently in VM II and it's not hard to keep up at all, definitely crawl walk run.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I am an a open book about Norwich, Residency, and Vulnerability management as I finish up within the next month
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    CISA, CRISC, Sec+
    One of the main reasons I decided with VM is the lack of long writing assignments. There is only one per class and it's not difficult at all, it's about penetration testing, besides that they're are not papers. It's very much lab oriented, you get connections to VMs that run Metasploit and other type of vulnerability management related tools. My background, I have about 3 years direct info-sec experience and CISSP,SEC+. I'm currently in VM II and it's not hard to keep up at all, definitely crawl walk run.
    If I wasn't sold already.... VM for the win!

Did you do the river run? Ring ceremony?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks