+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last
Results 51 to 75 of 79
  1. Senior Member dmoore44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    590

    Certifications
    Security+, CISSP, CEH
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneyge3k View Post
    Any tips on software to use for the network diagram?
    If you're in school, you can get an academic license for lucidchart for free
    Enrolled
    Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance

    Currently Reading

    School Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #52
    I would also vote for Visio it is super easy to use and make diagrams
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    #53

    Default Hellllppppp

    GSXR750K2, I'm currently tackling SJT2, with NO network experience. Do you mind sharing your Network Diagram and your Data Storage Diagram?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by OMNIX View Post
    GSXR750K2, I'm currently tackling SJT2, with NO network experience. Do you mind sharing your Network Diagram and your Data Storage Diagram?
    You should really check-in with the course mentor(s). They will provide guidance and sample diagrams to get you through the task, and I know you aren't the first one who feels out of their element doing network designs and diagramming.

    I don't know who your assigned CM is, but if it's Bryan, you'll have it made. My task was sent was sent back on the first attempt for the diagrams and the evaluator feedback was vague. I was thinking I'd have to redo the whole thing (since it wasn't clear what was wrong) but Bryan gave me some advice and it only took about five minutes to make the changes and resubmit, and it passed.

    I'm as guilty as the next guy about not using course mentors, but they are one of your best resources to help you understand what you need to do.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10

    Certifications
    Sec+, Splunk PowerUser
    #55
    I'm currently working on SJT2 as well. I just looked at it today. It's a little overwhelming. How long did it take you to complete the task? Did you just put all the sections in one document to submit?

    Good luck to all those closing out the year strong @WGU!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneyge3k View Post
    I'm currently working on SJT2 as well. I just looked at it today. It's a little overwhelming. How long did it take you to complete the task? Did you just put all the sections in one document to submit?

    Good luck to all those closing out the year strong @WGU!
    If I recall correctly, about 10 days in total when I had the free time, with the paper being most of it. I have experience doing network designs similar to the one in the scenario (if it's still the same), and working in Visio.

    Since the design in the task is hypothetical and doesn't need to be proven, a lot of shortcuts can be taken compared to real-world. They really just want to see that you understand how the different network components work (OSI Layers) and also how they work together, not so much in making it work like it would in production.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR750K2 View Post
    You should really check-in with the course mentor(s). They will provide guidance and sample diagrams to get you through the task, and I know you aren't the first one who feels out of their element doing network designs and diagramming.

    I don't know who your assigned CM is, but if it's Bryan, you'll have it made. My task was sent was sent back on the first attempt for the diagrams and the evaluator feedback was vague. I was thinking I'd have to redo the whole thing (since it wasn't clear what was wrong) but Bryan gave me some advice and it only took about five minutes to make the changes and resubmit, and it passed.

    I'm as guilty as the next guy about not using course mentors, but they are one of your best resources to help you understand what you need to do.
    I had a similar experience on the revision and Bryan was a great course mentor so I would also suggest reaching out to him!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #58
    It has been a busy final week of the year, but it has been a good one.

    I lost my motivation some time back (early October) due to burnout and non-productive search for a different employer, but due to the prodding of CMs and some fellow students (you know who you are ) I got back in the game to finish my courses for the term. I got notification that MAT2 Task 3 passed on Christmas Day, and this morning I got the notification that Task 1 had passed...that one was a nail biter since the queue hadn't moved in over 48 hours. Task 2 was completed in a prior week. Just a little more to go...maybe March or April.

    I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. The ceiling is glass. PJ_Sneakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    169.254.0.1
    Posts
    717

    Certifications
    AccessData, Cellebrite, CompTIA, EC-Council, IACRB, (ISC)˛, Microsoft, MSAB
    #59
    You can do it, just keep grinding! Your degree is gonna look great in a frame!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR750K2 View Post
    It has been a busy final week of the year, but it has been a good one.

    I lost my motivation some time back (early October) due to burnout and non-productive search for a different employer, but due to the prodding of CMs and some fellow students (you know who you are ) I got back in the game to finish my courses for the term. I got notification that MAT2 Task 3 passed on Christmas Day, and this morning I got the notification that Task 1 had passed...that one was a nail biter since the queue hadn't moved in over 48 hours. Task 2 was completed in a prior week. Just a little more to go...maybe March or April.

    I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!
    Nice you got done with MAT2!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #61
    Got the notification on Tuesday that MBT2 Task 2 is complete. 13 pages, lots of technical and cultural stuff to address and resolve. My SM and CM have both said the tasks for this course are evaluated with an exceptionally fine tooth comb, so I'm being exceptionally heavy on details and support.

    I've found that my natural writing tendencies conflict with the how the rubric for Task 1 wants the paper to flow, so I skipped that one for now. My submission engine diagram for Task 3 is finished, so I just need to write the paper around it. If all goes well, hopefully this course will be knocked out by the end of the month, then, on to the capstone, then, maybe on to a new position.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #62
    Another one on the first attempt. MBT2 Task 3 is complete as of yesterday morning. 19 pages, 1 diagram, and a couple of pages of references double-spaced of course. Again, since the CMs have said this is a very research intensive course I'm sticking to the heavier-than-normal use of credible sources to support for my arguments.

    Just need to get Task 1 cranked out by this weekend then I can start working on the Capstone. For the BSIT, I knew what I wanted to do early on and the Capstone was a breeze. I could do a repeat on the same topic, but that feels like it would be the easy way out. I have an idea on what to do at the moment, but it may be too ambitious since my C# skills aren't exactly top shelf.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #63
    It's a little behind schedule, but MBT2 (Technological Globalization) Task 1 is complete. That also wraps up the course.

    Now, only the capstone remains.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    261

    Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    #64
    Congrats man
    Rooting for you to finish up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently Working On: Master of Business Administration: IT Management - Western Governors University
    C
    ompleted: C200, MGT2, C202, C211, C213, C214
    In Progress: C212
    Remaining: C206, C207, MMT2, C218
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #65
    Nice!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #66
    Thanks guys! I'm gradually dragging myself to the finish line. LOL
    Last edited by GSXR750K2; 02-16-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Removed a bunch of nonsense.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #67
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR750K2 View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm gradually dragging myself to the finish line. LOL
    We're almost there bud!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10

    Certifications
    Sec+, Splunk PowerUser
    #68
    Nice Job! I am rooting for you! I am slowly working on the degree as well. I am a little behind you and Dakinggamer87. I am working on Technical Writing and then Information Technology Management. I have a few cert’s I need to get so I am trying to finish this degree up soon. I am thinking about possibly doing the cybersecurity degree WGU offers as well since it piggybacks off of some of the courses in this degree. Any thoughts TE community?

    Courses-

    In Progress-
    -Advanced Networking Technology
    -Technical Writing

    Remaining to graduate-
    -Information Technology Management
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense

    Complete- JIT2, LYT2, MBT2, FXT2, LZT2, TFT2

    Started: June/2016; Graduation Goal: May/2017
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #69
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneyge3k View Post
    Nice Job! I am rooting for you! I am slowly working on the degree as well. I am a little behind you and Dakinggamer87. I am working on Technical Writing and then Information Technology Management. I have a few cert’s I need to get so I am trying to finish this degree up soon. I am thinking about possibly doing the cybersecurity degree WGU offers as well since it piggybacks off of some of the courses in this degree. Any thoughts TE community?

    Courses-

    In Progress-
    -Advanced Networking Technology
    -Technical Writing

    Remaining to graduate-
    -Information Technology Management
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense

    Complete- JIT2, LYT2, MBT2, FXT2, LZT2, TFT2

    Started: June/2016; Graduation Goal: May/2017
    Thanks! You've got my support as well. I really enjoyed Technical Writing and loved Advance Network Tech. IT Management wasn't bad at all, once I finally got around to it, so you should be able to hit your goal of May. My hold up now is a lack of ideas for a capstone topic.

    I've thought about the MSCIA as well, but I think after this program I'll be finished with school. To be honest, the new MSITM program is more appealing than the one we're in now, but I'm not planning on taking several steps back for it.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #70
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneyge3k View Post
    Nice Job! I am rooting for you! I am slowly working on the degree as well. I am a little behind you and Dakinggamer87. I am working on Technical Writing and then Information Technology Management. I have a few cert’s I need to get so I am trying to finish this degree up soon. I am thinking about possibly doing the cybersecurity degree WGU offers as well since it piggybacks off of some of the courses in this degree. Any thoughts TE community?

    Courses-

    In Progress-
    -Advanced Networking Technology
    -Technical Writing

    Remaining to graduate-
    -Information Technology Management
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense

    Complete- JIT2, LYT2, MBT2, FXT2, LZT2, TFT2

    Started: June/2016; Graduation Goal: May/2017
    I found IT Management to be not too bad once I reassessed my expectations. I started this course out by trying to use exact numbers in Task 1 with the VoIP quotes. However, I quickly realized they were looking for estimates not exact numbers. Once, I understood what they were looking for in the scenario it was pretty straightforward. I probably could have shaved off 2-3 weeks lol.. if I would have kept it simple instead of treating it as a real world business schematic.

    I have considered school after graduating such as a PhD but the time and money isn't worth it to me. I'm ready to be done with school so I can travel more, work on some certs I put on hold, and do my missionary work. This is just me though and where I want to go moving forward. I still love IT but it's only a small part of what I enjoy. Other reason I don't want to go back is I'm debt free so I don't want more school loans...

    If your goals align with cybersecurity and it makes finanical sense then go for it!!

    Some food for thought consider two master's degrees and if it would make a bigger impact then having one to meet the HR requirements.
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #71
    I haven't been updated the thread over the past couple of courses, but as of about five minutes ago, I'm finished. The oral defense was pretty smooth, I rambled for about 41 minutes covering the details of the project, why we did what we did, how it worked, how we dealt with stakeholders, how it was applied elsewhere, etc.

    It took a lot longer than necessary...if I cut out all of my procrastination months it could have been completed in less than a year.

    I'll celebrate by going to work now.
    Last edited by GSXR750K2; 04-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. The ceiling is glass. PJ_Sneakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    169.254.0.1
    Posts
    717

    Certifications
    AccessData, Cellebrite, CompTIA, EC-Council, IACRB, (ISC)˛, Microsoft, MSAB
    #72
    congratulations!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    261

    Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    #73
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR750K2 View Post
    I haven't been updated the thread over the past couple of courses, but as of about five minutes ago, I'm finished. The oral defense was pretty smooth, I rambled for about 41 minutes covering the details of the project, why we did what we did, how it worked, how we dealt with stakeholders, how it was applied elsewhere, etc.

    It took a lot longer than necessary...if I cut out all of my procrastination months it could have been completed in less than a year.

    I'll celebrate by going to work now.
    Congratulations on your achievement man!
    I hope to join you sometime
    Currently Working On: Master of Business Administration: IT Management - Western Governors University
    C
    ompleted: C200, MGT2, C202, C211, C213, C214
    In Progress: C212
    Remaining: C206, C207, MMT2, C218
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. user.Status = "Learning";
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Server Room
    Posts
    312

    Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    #74
    Thanks, guys. It was a journey for sure.

    Now I need to find something to do other than login to TaskStream.
    Stuff to finish in 2017:
    M.S. IT Management []
    VCP6-DCV []
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley,CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    #75
    Welcome to the club!! Congrats
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks