+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Remote Jobs?

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, Teradata Database Certified Associate
    Love that we see eye to eye on this.

I've been in this role on paper now for 4 months, once I hit the 1 year to 18 months on paper mark I am looking for remote internal positions, even lateral in a field of no interest or external. That's the plans and they AIN'T changing.

Truth be told, the only thing that would motivate me to ever get another certification would be a remote role that required it, i would absolutely get it done. Then and only then would I ever get another cert. That is saying a lot!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNA R&S/Sec/Cyber Ops, VCP5/6-DCV, MCSE CP&I, ITIL Foundation, A+, N+, S+
    My boss just told my team today that we are starting to do 2 days a week remote on Monday! Monday and Thursday from home for me. I'm in a pressure cooker type environment now so it will definitely take some of the steam off and improve work/life balance. My team is hidden in a room way in the back and we hardly leave our desk or interact with other departments in person so there is no reason we couldn't do it remote.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    Guess we can keep bumping it until it's stickied.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Sticky?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    AWSx2, ISC2x2, CCSK, VCP6-DCV, MCSEx4, CompTIAx3
    I have some remote spots open for people /w heavy cloud experience (i.e.: AWS and DevOps)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Housing is getting ridiculous. Hoping to go remote this year to actually be able to afford a house.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Remote job achieved! Same pay as what I'm getting now (which is fine), but a crap more opportunities since it's with an MSSP. Can definitely acquire more experience and do it all from the confines of my own home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCITP, CCNA, CEH
    I've had good luck picking up some side gigs on Upwork like email migration and some technical writing. I work remote for my day job a few times a week or sometimes weeks at a time if I ask in advance. I work at an MSP in management so it's easier than if I were working in the field. Mobility is great and working remote from out of the country is a cool experience. I do have to say, working face-to-face with your team has benefits too like quick decision making, no second guessing the tone of a Slack message or email, and a chance for meaningful on-the-fly meetings with coworkers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I work remotely one day a week. My job just started allowing us to work from home about 3 months ago as a trial for the university, its going well so they are going to expand it to more days. I like working from home because I hate waking up early but being in the office does have its benefits, like on the fly collaboration with colleagues.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Has this thread been stuck yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CSAE, CSAP, CASP, MCSA:Cloud, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki162 View Post
    I have some remote spots open for people /w heavy cloud experience (i.e.: AWS and DevOps)

What about people who are just heavy? (Kidding) Anything Azure related?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, and CASP; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    A few things that I have observed that might help someone make a somewhat more informed decision regarding working remotely:

1. Time management. It is really easy to get distracted by family, pets, etc. Make sure you have a place to conduct business that is as distraction-free as possible.

2. Work/life balance. It is easy, very easy, to spend more time working that you should, especially at home. I've done it and it is not going to make your family too happy. If I work from the office, work stays at the office (mostly). If I work from home, I tend to work my normal hours and then I will pop in and out several times throughout the evening. Be careful.

3. Make sure that your family is okay with it. My job, as an instructor, makes it hard for my wife to feel comfortable doing things around the house when I am working from home. She thinks that any noise she makes will either distract me or make my students think that I am being unprofessional. It's pretty rare for my students to hear anything going on outside of my office when I'm teaching, though it does happen from time-to-time (such as when one of my daughters stood outside of my office and yelled to her sister upstairs). Due to how uncomfortable my wife feels, I don't think that I would accept a fully remote job unless it required less than say 50% of the workday on the phone. If most of it is online communication, then it would be easier for the family.

Just some food for thought. Hopefully, it is helpful.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security, MSISA, BSBA
    Got another job working remote, as a Sr Security Sales Engineer. Loving it! Only problem now is I have to put a door on my office since I'm actually running conference calls instead of just listening in on them. So I'm about to frame up the opening for me to pop the door in.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Got another job working remote, as a Sr Security Sales Engineer. Loving it! Only problem now is I have to put a door on my office since I'm actually running conference calls instead of just listening in on them. So I'm about to frame up the opening for me to pop the door in.
    Great news, and a wise idea!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Congrats! I keep pushing for more time averaging 2 or so days remote now. I'm sure eventually I'll look for something fully remote.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks