+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    157

    Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #51
    I think most people, even if they don't know what the internal politics are like, will understand that most interviews aren't going to necessarily result in a hire unless their qualifications are stupid impressive. I don't think this knowledge really changes what you have to do to be honest. If I did 50 interviews and didn't land a single job... should I just lie there and die? Join the homeless population? Or do I keep going and hopefully do a little better than the last time?

    Being depressed and demoralized are natural human responses of course, but the logical part of your brain should tell you that neither of them will do anything to help with your situation. At the end of the day, you still need to schedule the next interview.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    55
    #52
    That's true. I guess what pisses me off about it is that it's totally unnecessary. Companies only do this BS because they are afraid of a govt organization and l-a-w-y-e-r-s. Companies shouldn't be scared into creating expensive and unneeded hoops for them and job seekers to jump through. That's where my gripe is.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    157

    Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryTR View Post
    That's true. I guess what pisses me off about it is that it's totally unnecessary. Companies only do this BS because they are afraid of a govt organization and l-a-w-y-e-r-s. Companies shouldn't be scared into creating expensive and unneeded hoops for them and job seekers to jump through. That's where my gripe is.
    What you describe is what I believe to be the main motivation behind why so many companies require a Bachelor's Degree as a filter to hiring even when the position in question relies more on hands-on skill as opposed to a piece of paper saying you showed up to class for 4 years.

    But again, can't change the system. We can only roll with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Magalia, CA
    Posts
    42

    Certifications
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +, CompTIA Security +
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjcheung77 View Post
    It's been about 3 months, have you been offered a position? Which BS IT are you going for, have you been admitted and taking those courses while looking for a better paying position? I hope everything is working well for you... if not, keep pushing foward.

    There are three things you should look at. 1) Completing that degree while working or looking for another position.

    2) Continue with your certifications, since you have an AA in IT from UofP and CompTIA certs, continue on with those vendor neutral certs from CompTIA and then find a specialization of your choice (CCNA or MS, etc).

    3) Experience, since you're already working in a similar position as Help Desk or Entry Level IT, why not ask the company you're at to allow you or put you into Temp Assignments in other divisions/departments?
    I have not been offered anything yet, and since I posted this back in August, I have had a total of 4 Interviews, and in which none of them have panned out. I have now attained my Network + Certification and my Security + Certification. Currently studying for the Linux + 103. I have a potential job on the plate at this moment with a local school district for "PC Technician". And I have spoken to a few of the techs there outside of the hiring process and it seems that they are "struggling" so hopefully I have a shot.
    Problem with this school district is that they have a vetting process that is just insane. In this order, a Written Exam, an Oral Exam, then merit points based on those two together, and then ranked with the rest of the hiring pool. Then from there they bring in 3 individuals from the top of the list, and then interview them. Good part is that if you are on said list, you are good not to do that process for 6 months time, so if the job opens up again, they go down the ranking list and find a potential candidate.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Magalia, CA
    Posts
    42

    Certifications
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +, CompTIA Security +
    #55
    Update:
    I have had 2 interviews this year and in which was told within 24 hours that I did not make the "oral review" cut for the interview itself, was a local government job in a court house for IT tier 1,
    The second job interview I had this year was with a local school district and so far it was great, passed the pre-lims as 4th place (rank), and I was excited to get the interview for the position. It has been a few weeks, just waiting for a phone call for a decision.
    The school district has 4 openings,
    1 F/T IT PC technician/ AV for events
    3 P/T 30 hours a week for 6 months for deployment of Chrome books to middle-schoolers, with a possibility of one of the three being kept for a permanent position once the 6 months are up.
    Passed my Linux 103, working on the 104 before the end of the month of FEB 2018, and then starting march, CCENT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    110
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by ReonBalisty View Post
    Update:
    I have had 2 interviews this year and in which was told within 24 hours that I did not make the "oral review" cut for the interview itself, was a local government job in a court house for IT tier 1,
    The second job interview I had this year was with a local school district and so far it was great, passed the pre-lims as 4th place (rank), and I was excited to get the interview for the position. It has been a few weeks, just waiting for a phone call for a decision.
    The school district has 4 openings,
    1 F/T IT PC technician/ AV for events
    3 P/T 30 hours a week for 6 months for deployment of Chrome books to middle-schoolers, with a possibility of one of the three being kept for a permanent position once the 6 months are up.
    Passed my Linux 103, working on the 104 before the end of the month of FEB 2018, and then starting march, CCENT.
    You have a lot of CERTs for not having an IT Job.

    Based on me lurking in the forums - you might eventually hurt yourself - all these certs and no job experience. Run the risk of being overqualified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member dizzy_kitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    82

    Certifications
    Security+, CEH, PMP, ACP, CCNA, CTFL, Cloud+
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneil3144 View Post
    You have a lot of CERTs for not having an IT Job.

    Based on me lurking in the forums - you might eventually hurt yourself - all these certs and no job experience. Run the risk of being overqualified.
    Don't know if I agree with that since they're all entry level certs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    157

    Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneil3144 View Post
    You have a lot of CERTs for not having an IT Job.

    Based on me lurking in the forums - you might eventually hurt yourself - all these certs and no job experience. Run the risk of being overqualified.
    Unless you have a Master's Degree while seeking an entry-level job, I doubt there's such a thing as being overqualified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member McxRisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    320

    Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, CSAE, C|EH, OSCP, Splunk Certified User, Splunk Certified Power User
    #59
    I agree with others here, the problem has to be with your interviewing skills/technical knowledge. I feel your pain in landing that first IT job. It took me over a year to land my first IT job, I had to take an unpaid internship for 8 months to build up the technical skills and knowledge to help me get over that final hump in the interview process.

    Now as for asking about salary in an interview. I would not recommend asking about salary in an interview for my first entry-level job BUT with my current experience, I always talk salary in the initial interview. That way me and the potential employer are on the same page and we don't waste each others time. I can get away with this though because of my background and previous work experience. I wouldn't advise everyone to do this but for some of us here, we can get away with it. Hell half of the time the employer asked me what I was looking to make (they did this for my current role as a team lead).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks