+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, MCSA 2012, MCSA 2008, Security +, Net+, A+
    About to turn in VLT2 Task 4. Just taking a 5 minute break before I finish the last section and head to work.

I will turn in my Capstone prospectus sometime this week (will probably choose based upon a technology my employer is looking to implement within the year) and try my damndest to cram for the OSCP which takes place 11/24 6pm MST. My attitude is good but expectations are low lol. I didn’t expect to start my masters shortly after but life can change quickly!

I’ll have 2 months to finish my capstone so I can’t see an issue there. I’ll be confirming when Task 4 is a pass and then report back sometime during the Capstone. When I am done I will try to post some finishing remarks and tips about my WGU journey. And then moving my efforts towards the OSCP.
    Last edited by Blucodex; 11-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    C|EH, MCITP, ITIL-F, LSSYB, Sec+,CISSP, Linux+, CCNA, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Blucodex View Post
    About to turn in VLT2 Task 4. Just taking a 5 minute break before I finish the last section and head to work.

I will turn in my Capstone prospectus sometime this week (will probably choose based upon a technology my employer is looking to implement within the year) and try my damndest to cram for the OSCP which takes place 11/24 6pm MST. My attitude is good but expectations are low lol. I didn’t expect to start my masters shortly after but life can change quickly!

I’ll have 2 months to finish my capstone so I can’t see an issue there. I’ll be confirming when Task 4 is a pass and then report back sometime during the Capstone. When I am done I will try to post some finishing remarks and tips about my WGU journey. And then moving my efforts towards the OSCP.
    Good luck! You got this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Great progress - really admire your commitment. You can do it!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSE(NT4), MCSA(2K3), CCENT, ITILv3F, CEH, CHFI
    Great job. I'm a little behind you, in a mad dash to finish VLT2, any pointers?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    VLT2 Task 4 was a pass. VLT2 is complete. On to the Cap!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieW818 View Post
    Great job. I'm a little behind you, in a mad dash to finish VLT2, any pointers?
    Don't assume anything on the part of the graders. Say what, why, and how. Clearly explain everything and you'll be fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Little change in plans. I've realized no matter how hard I work this week I won't be ready for the OSCP and I can't push it back again. Family coming in town for Thanksgiving and just lack of preparation since August. I'm okay with that.

I worked on the Capstone over the weekend and have a solid 15 page start. I'm anticipating a 60+ page paper when done. As for Friday, I'll get in the OSCP and use the 24 hours to poke around and have the experience, no pressure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quick update. Turned in my Capstone Prospectus, should be graded this morning. Working on Capstone paper, currently at 27 pages. I am expecting somewhere between 60-90 when I am done. If I can wrap this paper up by 12/10 I should be in good shape to finish my Xmas.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. The ceiling is glass. PJ_Sneakers's Avatar

Certifications
    AccessData, Cellebrite, CompTIA, EC-Council, IACRB, (ISC)˛, Microsoft, MSAB
    You'll do fine. Do some dry runs on your oral defense before the call. It won't be a big deal.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    -->
    Are they still doing live calls? I just had to record my presentation using Panopto, no live call at all. It was not clear whether that was a change in policy, or just something they do at the end of a term (I submitted with about 6 days left).
    A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    It's the panopto now...How much detail did you go into on each of the areas where you learned something?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Still waiting on Prospectus to pass, should happen within the next few hours.

Just submitted my Capstone written report. Phew, that was a long one. Not sure about a first time pass but at least it's up there and I'll know shortly if there are any shortcomings.

Next up is to start working on my powerpoint and get that all ready for final edits based upon Capstone written report completion.

Current goal is completion by the afternoon of 12/10 (leaving to Atlanta for work for 4 days) and current mood is excited. The end is oh so close.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Great job!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Prospectus passed! Capstone Submitted. Hopefully I can get that passed by the weekend and get my Presentation submitted Saturday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, C|EH, CPT, S+, A+, P+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, GPEN, OSCP
    H y p e ! ! !
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Wooooooooooo!!! First time pass on the Capstone Written. I'll be getting my slides buttoned up and record my Panopto and submit by Sunday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    WOW! Great job!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Presentation submitted. 157th in line. Now, the wait......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    C|EH, MCITP, ITIL-F, LSSYB, Sec+,CISSP, Linux+, CCNA, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Blucodex View Post
    Presentation submitted. 157th in line. Now, the wait......
    Your done. Its pretty much just waiting for them to grade it now. You should find out by tomorrow. Nice job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
    Your done. Its pretty much just waiting for them to grade it now. You should find out by tomorrow. Nice job.
    It’s been confirmed! I will submit a reflection sometime next week about my experience. Feels good though and now I can work on my OSCP until CCNA Cyber Ops in April.

C54A3326-A806-4F9D-A175-5A4AAC5BE423.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Alright, up early today so I might as well get my review out of the way but first a little background...

I started my BBA in Management information systems in 2007 and found myself in the position of being unable to transfer any classes from my A.A.S. in. My A.A.S. was from Charter College which held ACICS accreditation which I guess is being withdrawn. News to me, I just did a search to see what their accreditation was for this review.

Going part-time and taking time off here and there I finally graduated 10 years later in April of 2017. I knew I wanted to pursue a MS but wasn't sure when. With a recent move to AZ and student loans coming up soon I decided to go immediately with the goal of 1-1.5 years in mind. But once I started WGU I realized this was going to be fast paced for me. I really did not expect to finish in 5 months though!

I've attended three separate colleges now and I want to say the first thing to look at is accreditation. National accreditation sounds more legitimate than regional to the uneducated but it's quite the opposite. WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) which provides accreditation for well known schools such as BYU, Washington State, U.W., and Oregon State. WGU is recognized and legitimate.

I think many people will discredit the college when they find out it's possible to finish in one-term. I myself have questioned it a little but the reality is when I look back I didn't spend any more time per class on my BBA. But due to semester limitations and class spacing (2x a week) I was forced to drag out my semesters. A HS student with no work experience or someone getting into a new field will definitely benefit from having ample time to absorb content. For those who've been in their field for awhile they just need the chains off because they probably already have a majority of the real-world experience academia can teach them--if not more. With 17 years workforce experience I should be able to pass a MS rather easily.

It's your education and you will get what you put into it. If you want to spend more time than the minimum and deliver exceptional content, you can do that. If you want to deliver what a legitimately accredited program deems necessary and only that--you can do that too.

Technology moves fast, sans some exceptional programs academia is behind the curve. If money wasn't an issue I would probably look at a MS from SANS. WGU's MSCIA is not a technical degree by any means. If you're expecting to obtain your degree and interview for a mid-level+ security position without already having a body of knowledge and experience you will most likely be dissapointed. I've read somewhere that the WGU MSCIA is basically CISSP prep. I believe that's just about spot on. With that being said, networking in your local market will give you better exposure and personality and passion are king.

I would recommend this program to anyone because it's cheap and legitimate. And I did learn about management and operations which will help my directly at my employer. But if you are looking to gain technical skills you will be better off at another program. I wouldn't call it a "check the box" program because I don't believe many colleges are technically advanced anyway. But they do put you in cooperative situations--for tenured professionals that's not really necessary.

If I was asked how to improve this program I would get rid of the C|EH and C|HFI certifications for those who already hold an equivalent. Provide an option for something like a CISSP, CISM, or even a SANS cert and allow it to provide 8CUs instead of the 8 for Ethical Hacking and Forensics.

Well, that's all I have. I had fun, it was exciting, I'm glad it's over and I can move on to more technical training now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Social Networking & Bookmarks