+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S

Default Time to Level Up

Due to my fear of being homeless, I have decided to pursue the MS in applied computer science at Dakota State. I have been accepted and don't have to take any pre-reqs since my BS was in computer science. The program seems to be challenging from reading the reviews of it and I love a good challenge. Plus, I hope that earning it, learning/honing the craft, and having the alumni connections will make me more employable by permitting me to teach at a local community college and to make a jump from being a network guy to a developer at a good company or a security role at a good company because it seems that my current employer is moving to the noc-centric way...and that is all I will say about that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    Fear of being homeless? Most unusual reason I've heard to pursue a masters.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, Teradata Database Certified Associate
    I have the opposite thought. Having student loans is a great way to get homeless.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, GPEN, GCIA, GCIH, C|EH, and more.
    A degree will not make anyone immune to misfortune, but whatever lights a fire under someone is ok with me.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, Sanity+ (Revoked), GSEC, GCIH, GREM
    Personally I feel certifications give more insurance than a Masters degree and they are considerably cheaper too. The only down side you have to continue to renew certifications, unlike a Master degree.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    "I eat SubNets like You for breakfast..."
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
    Personally I feel certifications give more insurance than a Masters degree and they are considerably cheaper too. The only down side you have to continue to renew certifications, unlike a Master degree.
    Agreed.

However, one might question why a Master's Degree earned.... 10 years ago... is somehow still considered "valid",

but a certification from 10 years ago isn't :\
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S
    My apologies for the delay.

--cyberguypr: generally, those with a graduate computer science degree have lower unemployment rates than those who do not have it.

--DatabaseHead: I can see where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree. The program is not so expensive that I need to take out any loans. I already live a very frugal lifestyle so fiscally nothing will change. If it was a program like Carnegie Mellon, I would never attended because I do not think that the price tag is worth it.

--E Double U: True, a degree will not make anyone immune and I don't think anything can. I look at it as a case of having the degree might not help you, but not having can hurt you.

--TechGromit: I agree. I just dont want to be on the short end of the stick if the deciding factor between me and someone else is a MS degree.

--volfkhat: I agree. Most Master's programs tend to be become dated after a few years and certification tracks tend to get updated by the time you have to retake them so it seems like a better choice to undertake certifications rather than a Master's. But computer science concepts (e.g. data structures, big-o, algorithms, etc..) stand the test of time. However, it is more suited for a software engineer than a network engineer...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Quote Originally Posted by volfkhat View Post
    Agreed.

However, one might question why a Master's Degree earned.... 10 years ago... is somehow still considered "valid",

but a certification from 10 years ago isn't :\
    If the certification has to have education requirements or continuous learning requirements then it's all good.
    I think that if someone has the job experience for 10 years, doing the stuff that the degree covers then it'll still be good.

I believe the only way that its not going to work out if someone has a degree in something but works in a different career field.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks