+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17

    Certifications
    A+
    #51
    OP,

    You're completely employable. You have what a A+, N+ and a BA. I started off at a school district with no A+ or any certs making 26 an hour for a seasonal job. I learned ALOT!, I was fortunate they needed me and I needed them. They found out I went to the same high school as they did in the district and instantly I knew , I had a shoe in..

    I started off doing deployments, imaging, tickets and work orders. Patching network drops from switches,etc audio video too. They gave me keys to all the schools in the whole district and a van. It was great! I made friends with few of the guys, older guys who are trying to retiree out. I think the youngest was 35. I wish I could have stayed at that job.

    Point being don't sell yourself short. Apply for school district jobs like crazy, or any volunteer work you can. Also, you could try staffing companies. But watch your back with agencies.. One day you could find yourself out of job and not even know till its too late.

    Also, embellish a bit on your resume.. Not everyone admits this..
    Last edited by EMT760; 12-29-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,266

    Certifications
    BS IT (CCNA R&S, Security, Voice) CCDA, MCP XP, A+, L+, P+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA
    #52
    @deus ex machina
    Not sure how far are you from nyc but you can apply their and commute in. Its always hot for tech jobs and People do that commute.
    In life you have to make your own opportunities. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams to many negative people want you to fail because they can't succeed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member scaredoftests's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    behind you!
    Posts
    2,077

    Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT760 View Post
    OP,

    You're completely employable. You have what a A+, N+ and a BA. I started off at a school district with no A+ or any certs making 26 an hour for a seasonal job. I learned ALOT!, I was fortunate they needed me and I needed them. They found out I went to the same high school as they did in the district and instantly I knew , I had a shoe in..

    I started off doing deployments, imaging, tickets and work orders. Patching network drops from switches,etc audio video too. They gave me keys to all the schools in the whole district and a van. It was great! I made friends with few of the guys, older guys who are trying to retiree out. I think the youngest was 35. I wish I could have stayed at that job.

    Point being don't sell yourself short. Apply for school district jobs like crazy, or any volunteer work you can. Also, you could try staffing companies. But watch your back with agencies.. One day you could find yourself out of job and not even know till its too late.

    Also, embellish a bit on your resume.. Not everyone admits this..
    Embellish? That could lead to problems. Especially when a person is at a interview. I have been on about 2 group interviews (last year) where we questioned a person's resume and BOTH left the interview call rather quickly.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    4

    Certifications
    CISSP, CAP, CASP, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+, ITIL, KM
    #54
    Join the Military...Active Duty for a four year contract..while in you can complete your bachelors and masters through WGU, all 100% paid for by uncle sam through Tuition Assistance. When you get out after 4 years you will have your GI Bill for Life and you can pursue your Doctorate or give your ed benefits to your children or spouse.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,115

    Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); MCSA 2012; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    #55
    If you aren't particularly tied down to CT, I would definitely explore starting over somewhere else. In the meanwhile, you need to embrace working non-permanent positions if you aren't already. In my neck of the woods, most of the entry level jobs are temp or C2H anyway. Earn some experience and some $$$ for your future move while you decide where you want to live and work in the future.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 1/13/2018 - Passed Microsoft 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Because I am being forced to take 2016 training, the MCSA 2016 upgrade
    Future: More build/test/deploy automation skills; renew VCP due 2/2019
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member HorizonThief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25

    Certifications
    CompTIA A+ & Network+
    #56
    Hey Deus, I found six jobs here: https://www.ctreap.net/jobsrch.php?s...0&position=460

    I work in a school district. It's not a bad way of getting into the IT field. Hopefully one of those jobs is near you and fits your skills.

    I wish you the best in your endeavors and hope to hear much success!
    (In Progress)
    Accomplished:
    [100% Done] Comptia A+, Comptia N+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
    Goals for 2017: [60% Done] Comptia Sec+, [40% Done] MSCE: Server 2012, [0% Done] Cisco CCENT, [0% Done] Cisco CCNA: R&S [0% Done] B.S. IT Security
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member kaiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    3rd rock
    Posts
    58

    Certifications
    Certified 100% Blue Agave Consumption Expert
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by josephbutler View Post
    Join the Military...Active Duty for a four year contract..while in you can complete your bachelors and masters through WGU, all 100% paid for by uncle sam through Tuition Assistance. When you get out after 4 years you will have your GI Bill for Life and you can pursue your Doctorate or give your ed benefits to your children or spouse.

    That's a laughable option unless he WANTS to give up A LOT of freedoms AND gets a contract that guarantees him a position in the IT field. I am a vet, IT field, who has been working for the military for quite a while. Pursue all other options before choosing the military because I have meet too many Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who could not adjust to military life and wasted away waiting for their contract to end.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    135

    Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #58
    I'm starting to feel a bit of the frustration. Been applying to pretty much every available position nonstop since I got my Security+ 2 weeks ago and went down to a local "tech" job fair. Had 3 interviews, 2 with staffing agencies, and 1 with an employer introduced by one of those agencies.

    I was really hoping to do at least 4 interviews a week, but hopefully this is just the holiday hiring freeze.
    Last edited by N7Valiant; 01-04-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    517

    Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    #59
    Quote Originally Posted by josephbutler View Post
    Join the Military...Active Duty for a four year contract..while in you can complete your bachelors and masters through WGU, all 100% paid for by uncle sam through Tuition Assistance. When you get out after 4 years you will have your GI Bill for Life and you can pursue your Doctorate or give your ed benefits to your children or spouse.
    Incorrect. The GI Bill is not a lifetime benefit, you get to use it up until you have been separated from the service for 15 years. https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/d...3_pamphlet.pdf

    A stint in the military can jump-start a career. It also gives you bonus-points for Federal hiring and in the corporate world, vets often give each other informal bonus-points in hiring, knowing what they've gone through. But as a veteran, I will agree that some people aren't cut out for it. Each service has a very different culture, doing IT in the Marine Corps (where every Marine is a rifleman) would be very different from the Air Force.

    (Four enlisted personnel from each of the branches were asked what they would do if they found a scorpion in their tent. The soldier said he'd squish it with his boot while the sailor said he'd slide a piece of paper under it and flip it outside. The Marine said he'd rip the stinger off and eat it while the airman said he'd call room service and ask why there was a tent in his room.)

    Quote Originally Posted by scaredoftests View Post
    Embellish? That could lead to problems. Especially when a person is at a interview. I have been on about 2 group interviews (last year) where we questioned a person's resume and BOTH left the interview call rather quickly.
    I agree but I also think there's a difference between embellishment, exaggeration and lying. If you supported an organization of 750 people doing helpdesk and some Active Directory:

    Embellishment: Rounding up to 1000 users to make it seem like you supported a larger company
    Exaggeration: Rounding up to 1000 and stating your primary job was maintaining the AD infrastructure, GPOs, etc.
    Lying: Claiming to be the AD and network architect.

    I don't think too many people mind a little embellishment, we recognize it's all marketing and as long as it doesn't change what you're claiming from a technical standpoint it doesn't hurt anything. But I also agree with the attitude that once you find someone is exaggerating their technical skills, you chase them to the hills with in-depth technical questions. And this will happen even with skills that aren't relevant to the job posting in question. Back-in-the-day, my company had an opening and an applicant's resume indicated extensive experience with ATM. Despite thee job requiring squat for ATM, I tossed a few softball ATM questions his way, which he promptly whiffed on. A few more misses and he was out having answered very few questions actually related to the job. I told the hiring manager that if he's lying in one area, he's probably lying in others.
    Last edited by EANx; 01-04-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S), CCIE R/S
    2019: OSCP
    2020-1: MBA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    ancient alien moon-base of Jupiter
    Posts
    42

    Certifications
    CCNA 200-125, A+
    #60
    PM'ed

    Been to Japan, learning Japanese and would love to live there
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks