+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, MTA 98-365
    OP,

You're completely employable. You have what a A+, N+ and a BA. I started off at a school district with no A+ or any certs making 26 an hour for a seasonal job. I learned ALOT!, I was fortunate they needed me and I needed them. They found out I went to the same high school as they did in the district and instantly I knew , I had a shoe in..

I started off doing deployments, imaging, tickets and work orders. Patching network drops from switches,etc audio video too. They gave me keys to all the schools in the whole district and a van. It was great! I made friends with few of the guys, older guys who are trying to retiree out. I think the youngest was 35. I wish I could have stayed at that job.

Point being don't sell yourself short. Apply for school district jobs like crazy, or any volunteer work you can. Also, you could try staffing companies. But watch your back with agencies.. One day you could find yourself out of job and not even know till its too late.

Also, embellish a bit on your resume.. Not everyone admits this..
    Last edited by EMT760; 12-29-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. dmarcisco
    @deus ex machina
    Not sure how far are you from nyc but you can apply their and commute in. Its always hot for tech jobs and People do that commute.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT760 View Post
    OP,

You're completely employable. You have what a A+, N+ and a BA. I started off at a school district with no A+ or any certs making 26 an hour for a seasonal job. I learned ALOT!, I was fortunate they needed me and I needed them. They found out I went to the same high school as they did in the district and instantly I knew , I had a shoe in..

I started off doing deployments, imaging, tickets and work orders. Patching network drops from switches,etc audio video too. They gave me keys to all the schools in the whole district and a van. It was great! I made friends with few of the guys, older guys who are trying to retiree out. I think the youngest was 35. I wish I could have stayed at that job.

Point being don't sell yourself short. Apply for school district jobs like crazy, or any volunteer work you can. Also, you could try staffing companies. But watch your back with agencies.. One day you could find yourself out of job and not even know till its too late.

Also, embellish a bit on your resume.. Not everyone admits this..
    Embellish? That could lead to problems. Especially when a person is at a interview. I have been on about 2 group interviews (last year) where we questioned a person's resume and BOTH left the interview call rather quickly.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CAP, CASP, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+, ITIL, KM
    Join the Military...Active Duty for a four year contract..while in you can complete your bachelors and masters through WGU, all 100% paid for by uncle sam through Tuition Assistance. When you get out after 4 years you will have your GI Bill for Life and you can pursue your Doctorate or give your ed benefits to your children or spouse.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); MCSA 2016/2012/2K3/2K; MCSE:S 2K3/2K; MCSE:M 2K3/2K; MCTS:Exch2K7; EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; Security+; A+
    If you aren't particularly tied down to CT, I would definitely explore starting over somewhere else. In the meanwhile, you need to embrace working non-permanent positions if you aren't already. In my neck of the woods, most of the entry level jobs are temp or C2H anyway. Earn some experience and some $$$ for your future move while you decide where you want to live and work in the future.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+
    Hey Deus, I found six jobs here: https://www.ctreap.net/jobsrch.php?s...0&position=460

I work in a school district. It's not a bad way of getting into the IT field. Hopefully one of those jobs is near you and fits your skills.

I wish you the best in your endeavors and hope to hear much success!
    (In Progress)
    Accomplished:
    [100% Done] Comptia A+, Comptia N+, Comptia Sec+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
    Goals for 2017: [0% Done] Cisco CCENT, [0% Done] Cisco CCNA: R&S [0% Done] B.S. IT Security
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by josephbutler View Post
    Join the Military...Active Duty for a four year contract..while in you can complete your bachelors and masters through WGU, all 100% paid for by uncle sam through Tuition Assistance. When you get out after 4 years you will have your GI Bill for Life and you can pursue your Doctorate or give your ed benefits to your children or spouse.

That's a laughable option unless he WANTS to give up A LOT of freedoms AND gets a contract that guarantees him a position in the IT field. I am a vet, IT field, who has been working for the military for quite a while. Pursue all other options before choosing the military because I have meet too many Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who could not adjust to military life and wasted away waiting for their contract to end.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    I'm starting to feel a bit of the frustration. Been applying to pretty much every available position nonstop since I got my Security+ 2 weeks ago and went down to a local "tech" job fair. Had 3 interviews, 2 with staffing agencies, and 1 with an employer introduced by one of those agencies.

I was really hoping to do at least 4 interviews a week, but hopefully this is just the holiday hiring freeze.
    Last edited by N7Valiant; 01-04-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    Quote Originally Posted by josephbutler View Post
    Incorrect. The GI Bill is not a lifetime benefit, you get to use it up until you have been separated from the service for 15 years. https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/d...3_pamphlet.pdf

A stint in the military can jump-start a career. It also gives you bonus-points for Federal hiring and in the corporate world, vets often give each other informal bonus-points in hiring, knowing what they've gone through. But as a veteran, I will agree that some people aren't cut out for it. Each service has a very different culture, doing IT in the Marine Corps (where every Marine is a rifleman) would be very different from the Air Force.

(Four enlisted personnel from each of the branches were asked what they would do if they found a scorpion in their tent. The soldier said he'd squish it with his boot while the sailor said he'd slide a piece of paper under it and flip it outside. The Marine said he'd rip the stinger off and eat it while the airman said he'd call room service and ask why there was a tent in his room.)

Quote Originally Posted by scaredoftests View Post
    Embellish? That could lead to problems. Especially when a person is at a interview. I have been on about 2 group interviews (last year) where we questioned a person's resume and BOTH left the interview call rather quickly.
    I agree but I also think there's a difference between embellishment, exaggeration and lying. If you supported an organization of 750 people doing helpdesk and some Active Directory:

Embellishment: Rounding up to 1000 users to make it seem like you supported a larger company
    Exaggeration: Rounding up to 1000 and stating your primary job was maintaining the AD infrastructure, GPOs, etc.
    Lying: Claiming to be the AD and network architect.

I don't think too many people mind a little embellishment, we recognize it's all marketing and as long as it doesn't change what you're claiming from a technical standpoint it doesn't hurt anything. But I also agree with the attitude that once you find someone is exaggerating their technical skills, you chase them to the hills with in-depth technical questions. And this will happen even with skills that aren't relevant to the job posting in question. Back-in-the-day, my company had an opening and an applicant's resume indicated extensive experience with ATM. Despite thee job requiring squat for ATM, I tossed a few softball ATM questions his way, which he promptly whiffed on. A few more misses and he was out having answered very few questions actually related to the job. I told the hiring manager that if he's lying in one area, he's probably lying in others.
    Last edited by EANx; 01-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    CCNA 200-125, A+
    PM'ed

Been to Japan, learning Japanese and would love to live there
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CAPM, ECBA
    Just wanted to give you guys an update in case anyone was curious. I recently accepted a software development position at one of the major companies in my area. Thank you all for the re-encouragement, not having clear job prospects is a very scary situation and not something I would wish upon my worst enemy. Glad that's over...

I guess the key really is to just keep your chin up and keep plugging away at job applications. You never know when something might pan out.

My dad gave me a funny but true piece of advice about this whole dilemma. He told me to add every rejection to a list and to number them. He then said I only had the right to be discouraged once I reached 100 rejections on my list. Gonna be pretty hard to hit that number if you are constantly learning from your rejections and your interviews.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Linux+, CCSKv4, OCEJPAD, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, CCP, CASP, Mobility+, Storage+, OCP Java SE 8 Professional, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    Just wanted to give you guys an update in case anyone was curious. I recently accepted a software development position at one of the major companies in my area. Thank you all for the re-encouragement, not having clear job prospects is a very scary situation and not something I would wish upon my worst enemy. Glad that's over...

I guess the key really is to just keep your chin up and keep plugging away at job applications. You never know when something might pan out.

My dad gave me a funny but true piece of advice about this whole dilemma. He told me to add every rejection to a list and to number them. He then said I only had the right to be discouraged once I reached 100 rejections on my list. Gonna be pretty hard to hit that number if you are constantly learning from your rejections and your interviews.
    Congrats!

What programming language are you learning / using?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CAPM, ECBA
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpeter View Post
    Congrats!

What programming language are you learning / using?
    Thanks! I'm working on JavaScript.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA Cyber Ops, MCSA 2012, MCSA 2008, Security +, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxkaliboyxxx View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt, but I could speak on Huntsville, that place was awesome and I loved it.

Best New Cities for Tech Jobs | Money

edit: I notice a few Florida cities.
    Security is pretty hot in Phoenix. PayPal, American Express, McKesson, GoDaddy, Schwab, just to name a few--are all hiring constantly and all have SOCs here. My company is hiring SOC Analysts and you would not believe how poor some of the candidates are...

Salary kinda all over but at least one company is paying analysts as follows. L1 = 75-95k, L2 = 95-120k, L3 = 120-145k. Throw in a 15% annual bonus and you're doing pretty well down here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks