+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, GSEC, GCIH, GREM, Lunatic+

Default Turning down job, a Mistake?

So I was informed a few days ago my power station will be closing in October 1, a full year earlier than expected. Anyway there a job opening at another station, same job I'm doing now, if I want it, it's mine, no interview required. The downside no pay increase and it's in Rochester, NY. It's a full ten degrees colder there (on average) and averages over 7 feet of snow a year, I get maybe 6 inches a year tops where I'm at. I'm single (or soon to be) so nothing is holding me back from moving, but I really don't want to move to the Antarctica. Anyone think I'm foolish to turn down this opportunity. While I'm confident I can obtain employment elsewhere, if at all possible, I would prefer to stay working for the major utility I work for. The benefits, bonuses, training are great and management really supports IT. I worked for some crappy employers in the past, were benefits, pay, culture all sucked. Really don't want to get stuck working for another lousy employer again, there are no guarantees another position will become available from now till October. Am I better off sucking it up and taking a sure thing, or hope for another position within the next 8 months?
    Last edited by TechGromit; 02-07-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    Do you have to answer fast or real soon ? It's not an easy decision. From what I am reading, you like to work there, benefits and management are good.. I would take the job and move to Rochester, NY. For the weather, I understand your concern, I am from Quebec, and it is worse than in upstate NY. Today, it is -20F outside, and since Sunday about 12 inch of snow fell to the ground... However, that's thing you get used to and it can give you the chance to enjoy ski, or other winter sport or just give you other reason to study more and play video games
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    There's no guarantee that the culture and management support of IT at the Rochester plant is the same as it is where you are now.

You could propose making a business trip up to that plant in the next few weeks and working there for a week to get a feel for it. Then you'll know if February in Rochester is tolerable too.

I'd definitely dust off the resume now though.
    2018: CySA+ | CCNA Cyber Ops
    2019: CISA | OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    I'm not familiar with American states/areas, but since you're soon to be single, maybe a move to a new area and a fresh start is a good idea?
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN (DONE)

"Never stop learning and every time you are doing something mindless...you could be learning something new." Eric Conrad
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    Do you have to answer fast or real soon ?

Posting closes Sunday, so anytime till then.

Quote Originally Posted by yoba222 View Post
    There's no guarantee that the culture and management support of IT at the Rochester plant is the same as it is where you are now.
    It's true site management could be different, corporate management is the same company wide. This is a corporate position, stationed at the site.

Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    I'm not familiar with American states/areas, but since you're soon to be single, maybe a move to a new area and a fresh start is a good idea?
    While ten degrees doesn't sound like a big difference, often it means the difference getting snow in the winter, instead of just rain. And roughly one month shorter of warmer weather every year.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 02-07-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CAPM, ECBA
    Follow your gut. People here are downplaying issues like the cold weather because, for them, it isn't really a big deal. It might be a much bigger deal for you. You've gotta go with what feels right.
    "The winner takes it all"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA(Security/Data Center), PCNSE, CySA+ and others
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    Follow your gut. People here are downplaying issues like the cold weather because, for them, it isn't really a big deal. It might be a much bigger deal for you. You've gotta go with what feels right.
    Exactly my thoughts. Well said
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    What's the down-side to applying for the Rochester job and then keeping your eye out for something new? You're not really pulling the trigger until they have you move.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by EANx View Post
    What's the down-side to applying for the Rochester job and then keeping your eye out for something new? You're not really pulling the trigger until they have you move.
    A year, can't apply for another job for 1 year after accepting a position. Jumping for another job would work if I left the company, but not if I want to remain with the same employer. If I say Yes, I'm committed, can't say I changed my mind before I move.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 02-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post

While ten degrees doesn't sound like a big difference, often it means the difference getting snow in the winter, instead of just rain. And roughly one month shorter of warmer weather every year.

yeah that sucks. I personally don't mind snow but I prefer a more beach kind of weather....I've heard great things about New York..on TV shows
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN (DONE)

"Never stop learning and every time you are doing something mindless...you could be learning something new." Eric Conrad
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CSAE, CSAP, CASP, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    A year, can't apply for another job for 1 year after accepting a position. Jumping for another job would work if I left the company, but not if I want to remain with the same employer. If I say Yes, I'm committed, can't say I changed my mind before I move.
    Was in a similar position in 09. My corporate IT job was eliminated at the location I was at. The division I was assigned to liked me and offered me a job in Process Control at a location 10 hours south. I took it because the market was so tight back then it felt like my only option. I worked there for a couple months until I was contacted by a company I worked for in the 90’s. That job allowed me to keep my house and work from home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    AS in IT, A+, Network+, Security+
    How long was it since your last promotion and how impressive is your resume? I don't know what the job market is like where you are, but if your resume has been polished and well stocked over the years, I'd try something else.

You'd also have to figure out cost of living, state/local taxes, maybe longer commute either due to distance or driving through icy roads. Wouldn't do it if they don't bump your pay.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, CSAE, C|EH, OSCP, Splunk Certified User, Splunk Certified Power User, Splunk Certified Admin
    Have you at least spoke to your company about a raise or maybe getting one 6 months after you accept the position? Another tactic is that you could play hard ball with them and refuse to take the job without a pay increase and see what they say. From the sounds of it I don't think you're a contractor but I know in the contracting world you gota be tough and take no **** from companies because they will always try to get you at your bottom dollar if you let them. The same could apply here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Project+, CASP, Mobility+ Beta, CCENT, CCNA, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, MCTS:680
    Personally, being in southern NJ, I feel your pain on snow. Their are good jobs here with Philly and DE close by. Why limit yourself though. If moving is an option why not look towards warmer climate?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    LPIC-1, SCLA, Linux+, Network+, VCA-DCV, CWTS, ITIL, BAIS, ZCNP
    Changing jobs is one thing, moving location is another. Plus there are other factors to consider.
    Not an easy decision by any measure.

Pick what you feel is right for you. When you accept/turn down a job, you do it for you not the employer.
    Take a trip to Rochester and see what it's like. At the same time, keep an eye out for other opportunities in locations favourable to you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member scaredoftests's Avatar

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    Go with what your gut says. I would, however, take a trip up to Rochester and take a look around..kick the tires so to speak. Do research, just so you won't kick yourself later.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member
    Stay FAR FAR away from Rochester, NY. Source: Rochester NY resident who cant wait to leave once my kids graduate HS. If you think our snowfall rates are high, you should see our property tax rates (usually top 10 in the nation but a few years we were number 1!). Also, good luck finding another job around here if you lose that one, the only places hiring are not places you want to work for. If you can move, move someplace awesome like Austin or Denver, you will be able to find a job in a heartbeat and wind up in a MUCH better place! FYI, if you are going to be working at Ginna, don't expect it to be around too long because right now the only reason it hasn't been shut down is because tax payers are subsidizing it and that probably isn't going to last forever...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+
    I hate to be that guy, but average snowfall and a slightly lower average temperature are factors? If so, you have bigger issues than this decision. You're not moving, as you mentioned, to Antarctica (or Alaska, sticking to the US...). I can understand *major* climate differences are decent factors for where you go in life, but that difference seems nitpicky.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Pen Testing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member
    why don't you ask if you can get a raise first?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by AD12345 View Post
    SIf you think our snowfall rates are high, you should see our property tax rates (usually top 10 in the nation but a few years we were number 1!).
    If I do take this position, I have no plans on purchasing a house in the area. it will be a stop gap measure to buy me time until a position I really want opens up, 2 to 3 years at the most.

Also, good luck finding another job around here if you lose that one, the only places hiring are not places you want to work for. If you can move, move someplace awesome like Austin or Denver, you will be able to find a job in a heartbeat and wind up in a MUCH better place!
    There seems to be plenty of jobs in Washington DC and surrounding areas, I wouldn't mind moving there. It's 4 to 5 degrees warmer year round than where I live in NJ.

FYI, if you are going to be working at Ginna, don't expect it to be around too long because right now the only reason it hasn't been shut down is because tax payers are subsidizing it and that probably isn't going to last forever...
    This is pretty much true for all Nuclear plants at the moment, so long as the price of natural gas remains low, Nuclear power plants have a tough time making a profit. While one could simply say if they are unprofitable, just close them, the problem is, it takes years to build a new Nuclear power plant, when the price of Natural gas goes back up, which it eventually will given it's a finite resource, people will be paying higher electricity rates in the long run if there were no nuclear plants remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by pirlo21 View Post
    why don't you ask if you can get a raise first?
    No raise for a lateral move, it's a moot point. Besides it's really not a question of a few thousand dollars are going to make me want me to move to a colder climate.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 02-08-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, A+, Net+
    As someone who recently moved to a better climate I can tell you must be "not enjoying" winter and thinking about some place better. If it were me, soon to be single, I'd do what ever I wanted even if that meant moving far south to a warm beach. Life is to short to be unhappy and climate is something you can change in your life.

YOLO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member Registered Member
    If I do take this position, I have no plans on purchasing a house in the area. it will be a stop gap measure to buy me time until a position I really want opens up, 2 to 3 years at the most.
    A few of my daughters friend's parents had no intention of sticking around until they met someone, it happens so never say never. It happens a lot more than you think.
    There seems to be plenty of jobs in Washington DC and surrounding areas, I wouldn't mind moving there. It's 4 to 5 degrees warmer year round than where I live in NJ.
    There are way more jobs, but the commute is so horrible and everything is so expensive. Other than that, DC is freaking awesome!
    This is pretty much true for all Nuclear plants at the moment, so long as the price of natural gas remains low, Nuclear power plants have a tough time making a profit. While one could simply say if they are unprofitable, just close them, the problem is, it takes years to build a new Nuclear power plant, when the price of Natural gas goes back up, which it eventually will given it's a finite resource, people will be paying higher electricity rates in the long run if there were no nuclear plants remaining.
    Yeah but here's the thing, if this lawsuit succeeds, and the state supreme court is allowing the lawsuit to proceed, kiss the plant bye bye. https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...l-12525094.php Look, I have lived here for a while. If I could go back in time with what I know now, I wouldnt be anywhere near this place. Its your call, but really, there are sooooo many better options than this place. Just my 2 cents.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    BS: IT, Network Administration; A+, Project +, CCNA, CCNA:S, CCDA, CFOT, MCSA: Windows 8, MCSA: Server 2012
    So I was informed a few days ago my power station will be closing in October 1, a full year earlier than expected. Anyway there a job opening at another station, same job I'm doing now, if I want it, it's mine, no interview required. The downside no pay increase and it's in Rochester, NY. It's a full ten degrees colder there (on average) and averages over 7 feet of snow a year, I get maybe 6 inches a year tops where I'm at. I'm single (or soon to be) so nothing is holding me back from moving, but I really don't want to move to the Antarctica. Anyone think I'm foolish to turn down this opportunity. While I'm confident I can obtain employment elsewhere, if at all possible, I would prefer to stay working for the major utility I work for. The benefits, bonuses, training are great and management really supports IT. I worked for some crappy employers in the past, were benefits, pay, culture all sucked. Really don't want to get stuck working for another lousy employer again, there are no guarantees another position will become available from now till October. Am I better off sucking it up and taking a sure thing, or hope for another position within the next 8 months?
    I can't say that I have been a similar situation, but I also work IT for one of the nations largest utility providers and can absolutely understand the struggle you are having. The benefits offered seriously make you consider making a bad situation work temporarily until something else comes open internally.

What are the chances that your current company has other jobs you'd like open before Oct 1?
    Are you well rooted with other internal teams you'd like to join where you could reach out and see if they have any potential openings?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ImThe0ne View Post
    What are the chances that your current company has other jobs you'd like open before Oct 1?
    Chances of obtaining another position within IT over the next 8 months is actually very good, it's just that it may not be the kind of job I want to be doing. It's been a good 10 years since I had to deal with end user issues.

I did have one the other day, some contractor comes into my cube early in the morning before the IT desk side staff came in. Technically he suppose to call the help desk, open a ticket, wait for someone to come help him. But in IT all too often we help someone out without a ticket because, really who wants to wait around all morning for there computer to get fixed so they can do there job. Anyway he shows me a PS/2 mouse and says it doesn't work, I ask him if he cares what kind of mouse I give him, he says no. I give him an USB mouse. Has says the end is different. I take it back and give him a PS/2 mouse, he putters away and returns 2 minutes later, still doesn't work. I grab the USB mouse, follow him over to his cube plug it in, test it, he's fixed. It's been a good 3 or 4 months since I last had to deal with a user of this technical level, I think I would blow my brains out if I had to deal with that every day again.
    Last edited by TechGromit; 02-09-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, CCNA: Sec, Security+, Network+, FCNSA, MTA 98-365
    I must be weird because I love snow. But in Rochester NY? You're not just going to get snow. You're going to get Lake Effect Snow, lol. Would they even offer you relocation assistance if you were to take the job? I would hate to uproot myself just to go somewhere else and do the same job for in climate I don't like. Would you be able to keep your seniority or would you be the low guy on the totem pole? I would be willing to risk the unemployment line and look a bit more local for a job- hopefully you have more time to look.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks