+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member
    I'm in the Socal area as well. A little closer to IE but still "above the national average" according the Glassdoor.

Is it possible for you to get more..? Yes but the experience/education/ability to interview well will be deciding factors. If you have no experience, I would be reluctant to pay almost 40-50k. Unfortunately there are A BUNCH of people looking for entry-level IT jobs so finding people who want to work is not hard.

Currently our company is hiring for a desktop support position and the pay is $15 an hour. And we actually hire through temp agencies only so that means no benefits till you're actually offered a full-time position. I've had people interview with BS, certs, and experience who had no issue with the pay. Everyone is mentioning a higher COL but might not realize how saturated the market is out here.

To give you some background, I started off in desktop support at $17/hr and left the company I was at after a little over a year. My next position was SysAdmin which I started off at $23/hr and no benefits since I was at a temp agency. I did well enough for the company to hire me on early. I have since moved up both in title and pay with no certs or formal education.

As mentioned previously, you can get more but how are you going to prove yourself worth to the companies you're interviewing with? Best of luck in your search!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    Comptia A+, N+, S+, P+, CIW Site development associate and AA Degree
    So I guess 15 dollar is good then. Thanks for info resxwithslicks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PenTest+, CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    Quote Originally Posted by rsxwithslicks View Post
    I'm in the Socal area as well. . . . Everyone is mentioning a higher COL but might not realize how saturated the market is out here. . . .
    Interesting. I'm in a part of the US where salaries are ~20-30% lower than nationwide and even then, when I worked a state internship it was at $19/hour. Must be a heckuva lot of helpdesk type employees in that area.
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoba222 View Post
    Interesting. I'm in a part of the US where salaries are ~20-30% lower than nationwide and even then, when I worked a state internship it was at $19/hour. Must be a heckuva lot of helpdesk type employees in that area.

I think a lot of people got into IT because "Technology is the future!".

ITT Tech had 13 locations in California. 2 in Northern CA, 1 in San Diego and the other 10 were within a 125 mile radius of each other. The schools started pumping people out with promises of making 50k with no problem and never having to flip a burger except at your awesome pool parties you host cause you make so much money in 2 years of technical school. To give a little perspective, my cousin started off at 50k as a mechanical engineer for a fortune 500 company with a BS from UC San Diego. I had a buddy graduate from ITT Tech like 10 years ago and he NEVER got a job in IT. Ended up working in Insurance field.

CA is one of the most expensive states to live in. I recently read something that said that people in Socal need an average income of 109k a year to afford a 2 bedroom place in LA. And that most people spend 40%+ of their income just on renting... I know that life. Through the years, I've moved up in pay and I'm making around the 80k range. I spend about 45% of my income just on rent. I have no kids. I have an excellent credit score. I drive a USED prius. And I wonder if I'll ever have enough to put a down payment on a house... Lol.

Now think about all those people who wanted to get into IT to move on up toward the 6 figure salaries... Yeah. Our market is ridiculously saturated. I've interviewed 8 desktop support people with certs, degrees, and experience in the last 2 weeks for a position at $15 an hour. And all of them really wanted the job...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ (Expired)
    I think a lot of people got into IT because "Technology is the future!".

ITT Tech had 13 locations in California. 2 in Northern CA, 1 in San Diego and the other 10 were within a 125 mile radius of each other. The schools started pumping people out with promises of making 50k with no problem and never having to flip a burger except at your awesome pool parties you host cause you make so much money in 2 years of technical school. To give a little perspective, my cousin started off at 50k as a mechanical engineer for a fortune 500 company with a BS from UC San Diego. I had a buddy graduate from ITT Tech like 10 years ago and he NEVER got a job in IT. Ended up working in Insurance field.

CA is one of the most expensive states to live in. I recently read something that said that people in Socal need an average income of 109k a year to afford a 2 bedroom place in LA. And that most people spend 40%+ of their income just on renting... I know that life. Through the years, I've moved up in pay and I'm making around the 80k range. I spend about 45% of my income just on rent. I have no kids. I have an excellent credit score. I drive a USED prius. And I wonder if I'll ever have enough to put a down payment on a house... Lol.

Now think about all those people who wanted to get into IT to move on up toward the 6 figure salaries... Yeah. Our market is ridiculously saturated. I've interviewed 8 desktop support people with certs, degrees, and experience in the last 2 weeks for a position at $15 an hour. And all of them really wanted the job...
    No way, that's insane, I've always wondered how saturated the field was. Yeah COL is high in California, and I've known people to move out of state because of that. It's especially high in silicon valley, where even IT workers in that area can't even afford housing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    It's not even possible to live on $15 an hour that's crazy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks