+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 First 1234 5 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, Teradata Database Certified Associate
    It's a race to get the best applicant. Some agencies are evolving and doing their job to forge relationships with companies or subsets of companies and creating in-roads as the preferred vendor. In those cases you are set up good, but there is initial front end work done on the relationship side, but..... most of the recruiters I see like to throw turds at the wall and see if it sticks. Shotgun sales approach and it can work but is very hard on the candidates that don't work out. I personally think that method is trash and the people who go with it are equal.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    Really hate when they don't look at your resume. Just because I am in IT, doesn't make me a Java developer.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Apple Certified Associate 10.11, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
    B) to not ask about benefits until after an offer has been made because it "really turns them off if you ask to many question around that until an offer is made". I figured that sounds reasonable...
    I've never considered that to be a reasonable request. Benefits are a part of the compensation. I had to learn the hard way that the very next question after salary needs to be about benefits. I took a job that paid a salary that was 12k more than my previous employer. Benefits were not discussed because the recruiter didn't want me to scare off the employer. That was a big mistake. My previous employer covered 85% of the insurance premiums. This employer covered none. I went from paying about $150 per paycheck for insurance for my family to $750 per check for insurance that wasn't even as good as my previous employers. I went from paying $3,900 a year for insurance to $19,500. I'm actually bringing home $7,500 less per year all because I didn't discuss insurance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by logisticalstyles View Post
    I've never considered that to be a reasonable request. Benefits are a part of the compensation. I had to learn the hard way that the very next question after salary needs to be about benefits. I took a job that paid a salary that was 12k more than my previous employer. Benefits were not discussed because the recruiter didn't want me to scare off the employer. That was a big mistake. My previous employer covered 85% of the insurance premiums. This employer covered none. I went from paying about $150 per paycheck for insurance for my family to $750 per check for insurance that wasn't even as good as my previous employers. I went from paying $3,900 a year for insurance to $19,500. I'm actually bringing home $7,500 less per year all because I didn't discuss insurance.
    ouch! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by logisticalstyles View Post
    That was a huge red flag when the recruiter didn't want you to talk about benefits with the client! I've always wondered when should I ask about pay and benefits? The first interview? I'm concerned the employer might get upset because all I care about is money but that is the point of a job is to get paid.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    I was going through two recruiting processes at the time I accepted the offer from company B. The "bad" recruiter I described was an external agency, while company A had internal recruiters. The difference was night and day. The external agency was very focused on getting the company what they wanted and pushed back if I talked benefits or pay "until the time was right".

The internal recruiter was upfront on everything and told me a few times "I don't know, lets see what they say...ill get back to you" instead of BS'ing an answer.

Yesterday I had a recruiter reach out on linkedin, I declined but said I have a friend who lives in the city your looking to hire in and hes better qualified than me. Crickets....

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CRISC, CISA, ISO27001 LA, CISM (application pending)
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredoftests View Post
    Really hate when they don't look at your resume. Just because I am in IT, doesn't make me a Java developer.
    I get this a lot. In my case, I only posted on LinkedIn the name of the company I've worked for (except the last two since I transferred to InfoSec), position / title and my certifications. Other than that, nothing, not even a career summary or a brief description of what I did in my previous jobs, yet I get messages recruiting for all sorts of positions. It makes me wonder on what grounds are they basing their invitations on? They're just probably looking for some keywords and that's it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PRINCE2, CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    LOL seriously, it seems I get contacted for almost every type of IT or developer job except the ones I am actually doing or qualified for, even after I stripped away superfluous terms.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    MSc Cybersecurity, CISSP, CCNA (R&S + Cyber Ops), Linux Essentials, A+,N+,Sec+, MCP
    Right? Or, even better, when they contact you about a Tier 1 Desktop Support technician position paying $12.00 /hr when you have 10 years experience as a network engineer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PRINCE2, CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Right? Or, even better, when they contact you about a Tier 1 Desktop Support technician position paying $12.00 /hr when you have 10 years experience as a network engineer.
    OMG that actually did happen to me recently! The recruiter who obviously didn't see IT Manager on my resume sent me an obvious generic email about how wonderful opportunity this help desk position would be and extolled all the benefits and the $13 hour wage lol. Took me a while to stop laughing before I sent a polite reply declining the "opportunity" and asking him to get back to me when a job more fitting to my current skills and experience becomes available.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member scaredoftests's Avatar

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    I get that a lot too. Very annoying.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012, A+, MCITP: EDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Even better when it's also a 1099 role too!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDrunkR2D2 View Post
    Even better when it's also a 1099 role too!
    1099, 6 month contract, other side of the planet, for known-bad-company

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security, MSISA, BSBA
    Quote Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
    1099, 6 month contract, other side of the planet, for known-bad-company
    THIS ^
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I applied for a job listed on a company's site. A couple days later a clueless recruiter sends me an email asking a bunch of really stupid questions that made it obvious that he had not read my application or viewed my resume. Straight to the trash bin after I got a few laughs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Irate End User
    I don't know about you guys but I've had really good luck with recruiters who are local to me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Comptia Project+, VCA-DCV, Comptia A+, CCENT
    I keep on getting recruiters contacting me for Oracle Developer jobs. My resume has 5+ years system administration experience except for a short project I did as an Oracle Developer for 6 months. The funny part is all the jobs they call me for are located more than 8 hours driving from where I am located. I have no interest in being an Oracle Developer for my career.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); MCSA 2016/2012/2K3/2K; MCSE:S 2K3/2K; MCSE:M 2K3/2K; MCTS:Exch2K7; EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; Security+; A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I've had really good luck with recruiters who are local to me.
    Same here. Not all of them, but many who are networked in the local market, are invested in having a solid reputation, and have actual relationships with hiring managers are well regarded by most. They are, at the end of the day, still salespeople, though, and not your friend.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012, A+, MCITP: EDA
    Oh Prajesh from Artech. I am not a chemist and am definitely not looking to move 5 hours away to a god forsaken wasteland in Kansas to do a 12 month contract for a position I'm no where near qualified to do because it's in a completely different field of work than I'm in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Irate End User
    Another problem with a recruiter not being local to me is that I'm getting bombarded with emails, calls, and text messages regarding jobs that are in California but nowhere near me. These recruiters should probably look at a map before blowing up your phone. Note to recruiters: California is a very very very big state.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, and CASP; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    I received an email last night, to my work email no less, reminding me that I had a phone interview with a recruiter...for a recruiter position. Let's see...I am an IT instructor, not a talent representative.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member NetworkingStudent's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, and Security+. MTA: OS
    I'm getting more picky when working with recruiters.

1)
    If the position doesn't line up with my career goals, then I really need to think about the position. I met a person in IT that gave me that nugget of advice.
    Always take a position that will move you closer to your career goal, not unless you really need the money.

2)
    If they have a role that's only weekends, then I'm out.

3)
    The position has no end date, or is not contract to hire. The position could go on for eternity.
    I'm probably out on this one too.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    I hate recruiters. After spending some time looking around for various roles and 'making myself available' on LinkedIn and various recruitment sites, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of all these calls offering me a 'fantastic opportunity'.

Every call literally starts with 'I've come across your CV online and thought his position might be of interest blah blah'. The problem I have is if I say no because the job doesn't sound appealing at all, they will literally try and sell it to me for the next 10 minutes. "Are you sure?"... "How about I put your details forward?"... "What if you speak to the company"... NO! Stop selling this to me!! They are literally just like salesman and only care about the commission they get.

With my current job they actually had an internal recruitment team who works for the same company which I found to be so much better.
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
    2019/2020 Goals: MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (70-744) | RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkingStudent View Post
    I'm getting more picky when working with recruiters.

1)
    If the position doesn't line up with my career goals, then I really need to think about the position. I met a person in IT that gave me that nugget of advice.
    Always take a position that will move you closer to your career goal, not unless you really need the money.

2)
    If they have a role that's only weekends, then I'm out.

3)
    The position has no end date, or is not contract to hire. The position could go on for eternity.
    I'm probably out on this one too.

I've taken a job in the past with no end date unless it was end of contract but that wasn't known when. The job was complete hell and management were amongst the most degrading ones I've ever worked for. They will always cater towards the client and treat you the contractor as 2nd class citizens. Now a days I'm looking for contract to hire or direct hire if I were to work for a recruiter again unless it's I really need the money than I really can't be picking and choosing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    I hate recruiters. After spending some time looking around for various roles and 'making myself available' on LinkedIn and various recruitment sites, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of all these calls offering me a 'fantastic opportunity'.

Every call literally starts with 'I've come across your CV online and thought his position might be of interest blah blah'. The problem I have is if I say no because the job doesn't sound appealing at all, they will literally try and sell it to me for the next 10 minutes. "Are you sure?"... "How about I put your details forward?"... "What if you speak to the company"... NO! Stop selling this to me!! They are literally just like salesman and only care about the commission they get.

With my current job they actually had an internal recruitment team who works for the same company which I found to be so much better.

Exactly all recruiters are used car sales people and how much do you trust a used car sales person? Some of them can get really aggressive to the point of stalking you so becareful and report them accordingly (police, there management, etc).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 First 1234 5 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks